OCAU Aquarium Owners Club/Show Us Your Aquarium - Part II [56k No!]

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Menthu_Rae, May 1, 2007.

1. Oosh

Oosh Member

They usually contain all the fittings, but not always the filter media (foam, noodles, bio-balls, etc.)

I've got an AquaOne CF1200 on my 200L, bought it from The Reef Shop, had it ~6 months with no real complaints.
    It did have a broken & leaking tap/valve to begin with, but apparently it was a bad batch and was duly replaced with very little fuss, took a week however.

They're a cheap filter but good bang for buck and come with filter media outta the box.

2. n000b

n000b Member

I've also got an AquaOne CF1200 (also bought from The Reef Shop) and it runs great :)

3. JaC

JaC Member

My current filters (4 in 3 tanks) are Aqua one and they've been fine for the past couple of years.

Would a CF1200 be overkill in 80L?

Is too much flow likely to be a problem? If so, would the CF500, 700 or 1000 be better? Are these filters all or nothing or can you throttle them down?

Payday can't come soon enough :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  4. Oosh

Oosh Member

So long as it's not white water in there I can't see why it would be, however I'd definitely be using spray bar, but it might be prudent to downsize a notch or two.

5. n000b

n000b Member

The AquaOne CF range are all or nothing.

6. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior R.I.P.

nice tank JaC :lol:

crystals work a treat, am getting some batteries today for another fiddle with the r/c.

7. Amran

Amran Member

Kinda off topic, but speaking of canister filters you can't go wrong with Eheim. Much easier than Aquaone to get parts for once it goes outta warranty. I own some of both brands and I'll be sticking with Eheim from now on.

8. kr0nic

kr0nic Member

I havnt had any problems with my Jewel canister filter, only cost me about $150.

9. k_sheep

k_sheep Member

I keep the pH at about 9, so the bristlies aren't really interested in breeding. I'm slowly taking it down to maybe 8.4, so they might go for it then, but still unlikely.

10. Phat Devil

Phat Devil Member

Sigh I wish i could put plants in my tank!!! Everytime i try, my big oscar pulls them all out for me!

11. chicken-

chicken- Member

This is my first decent fish tank (the last time I had fish was platies many years ago.) This has all started from looking after my roomates neglected betta and deciding to get it out of the stupid 1L bulb/jar it came in. Since then I've also inherited the two guppies from other people... :rolleyes:

As expected im now into the whole aquarium thing again, I'm interested in loaches/bristlenoses but im not sure how they'd go in only a 2 foot tank... Any suggestions for a newbie would be great.

I also realise it's a bit sparse at the moment im going to add some driftwood and plants (and throw the stupid fake pink plant) when I get a chance.

[​IMG]

12. aramis

aramis Member

Awesome. I used to have a few native tanks many years ago.

At various times I had the following natives:

Archer fish
    Empire Gungeons
    Fire Tailed Gungeons
    Purple Spotted Gungeons
    Spangled Gudgeons
    Oxleyan Pygmy Perch
    Crimson Rainbow Fish
    Duboulayi Rainbow Fish
    Ornate Rainbowfish
    Eel Tailed Catfish
    Fly Specked Hardy Heads
    Long Spined Glassfish
    Spangled Perch

Most were caught from various creeks and ponds around S.E. Qld. Lot's of fun.

I've been thinking about starting up another native tank, but trying to resist as I don't have a lot of room here at the moment.

Also out of curiosity, where in the Brisbane River did you get the Turtle - did you catch it yourself?

13. ben_qld

ben_qld Member

This used to be my 3x2x2 Saltwater Reef tank that I had for about 3yrs

I built the whole thing from scratch, including buying the precut glass and building the tank. It cost me about $3.5k, and 90% of the corals I got from cuttings from other tanks and grew them (and even sold cuttings to pay for the running costs of the tank)

I had to sell the tank when I moved, as I might be going overseas soon, so I will start it up another time. I got $2.5k for everything when I sold it !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Member

What's pic no.5?..looks stunning!

15. ben_qld

ben_qld Member

#5 is a closeup pic of my carpet Anemone. I actually have some other macro photos of this Anemone and I was a finalist for a photo comp in a aquarium and the photos got published.

I will post some macro shots tonight if I can find them on my PC @ home

Ben

16. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

very nice set up ben.... soooo jealous

17. k_sheep

k_sheep Member

Definetely not :) I got him from Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, they have a big breeding program set up. They also have the kreffs river turtles. I'm planning on getting a murray river and saw shell from a breeder up the coast once I get back from overseas in nov/dec.

I really need to update my pictures ... have gotten rid of some tanks, and gotten new ones, fish have died, fish have been born ...

18. tgf

tgf Member

Here's my current tank setup. An Aqua-One AR-620 I think. 90L capacity and has 10 male guppies in there at the moment.

[​IMG]

19. n000b

n000b Member

Here's my turtle tank (4ft*18"*18"):

[​IMG]

20. Manaz

Manaz (Damned or Belated)

I've got a 4' x 2' x 2' marine (saltwater) setup.

[​IMG]

The fish are as follows:

* 2 x Ocellaris Clownfish. They've sorted out their gender, decided to live in two of my anemones, and are laying eggs regularly.
    * 1 x Bicolour Blenny.
    * 1 x Banggai Cardinal.
    * 1 x Blue Tang.
    * 1 x Yellow Tang.
    * 8 x Chromis.
    * 1 x Squareblock Anthias.

I also have six Bubble Tip Anemones (which all came from one parent - they reproduce by splitting), and two soft corals (a Fungia sp and another I can't for the life of me remember the name of).