OCAU Bake-Off 2009 Entries

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

OCAU Bake-Off 2009 Entries

This thread is for entries only. Discussion thread is here.

Open: Sat 18th July, 0800
    Close: Sun 26th July, 2400

Make sure you format your post as per previous Iron Chef entries - here and here for examples.

Good luck everyone!!

2. bleckers

bleckers Member

I guess I'll start.

Bleckers' Chilli Walnut Brownies and Laptop

Ingredients

Click to view full size!

180g Dark Chocolate
    120g Milk Chocolate
    70g Chopped (or button) White Chocolate
    125g unsalted butter
    1/2 cup caster sugar
    3 teaspoons chilli powder
    1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1 1/4 wholemeal flour (can use white)
    1/3 cup cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 eggs
    100g Walnuts

Directions

First combine the butter, milk and dark chocolate into a bowl over boiling water and whisk until smooth:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Then once melted, place the brown and caster sugar in the bowl and whisk again until smooth again.

Place the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, chilli powder and walnuts in a bowl and mix together:

Click to view full size!

Place and whisk the eggs one at a time into the chocolate, butter and sugar mix:

Click to view full size!

Combine the wet and dry ingredients and put the white chocolate and mix:

Click to view full size!

Place into a greased baking dish and cook at 180 degrees for 25-30 minutes:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Once cooked, place to cool:

Click to view full size!

Once cooled, remove from tray and cut to size:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

The Result

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

And for my entry

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Video

Click here for the HD version.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  3. nanaglenmum

nanaglenmum Member

Theobromine - that chemical in chocolate that makes you feel good!

Am I the only one who was completely and utterly overwhelmed and scared of by Bleckers' AMAZING entry? Need the rest of us even bother???
    Well, I'm stuck at my parents' house on "holidays" (and I use the term very loosely) with the dreaded swine flu. [​IMG] I am literally under house arrest with 2 small children to amuse who just want to go home and see their chickens. How to entertain them and myself? Make a completely edible molecular model of theobromine of course!
    My brother, aka Scon, told me about this site a while ago and said I should really check it out, especially the foodie bit. Like him, I am a bit far down on the geek scale...probably a bit more nerd than geek though, I dig the chemistry/biology more and get a bit lost with some of the IT, but hey, what a cool site! Thank you for letting me join!
    Anyway, enough rambling, here we go. This took place over 2 days as energy levels and compulsory rest (and vomit) breaks required!!
    Oh yeah, and in case you didn't know, theobromine is the active chemical in chocolate (higher in dark chocolate) that makes you feel good! If you are wondering where the "bromine" molecule is, you won't find it, it is named from the cacao plant Theobroma sp.
    Nana Glen Mum's Edible Molecular Model of Theobromine

PART 1 - CAKE
    This recipe is from "cakepro" on www.cakecentral.com

Ingredients
    2.5 Cups Flour
    1.5 Cups Sugar
    3 Tablespoons cocoa
    0.5 teaspoon salt
    1.25 teaspoon bicarb soda
    1 Cup Butter
    2 Eggs
    1 ounce red food colouring (I omit this)
    1 Cup Buttermilk (I just use normal full fat milk)
    1 teaspoon Vanilla

Directions

Preheat oven to 180oC.
    Sift dry ingredients and set aside.
    Beat butter and sugar in electric mixer until light and fluffy. Bet in eggs on at a time and add colouring (if you are using it). Add vanilla. Add half the flour, all the milk, then the rest of the flour, mixing as little as possible to combine.[​IMG]
    Pour the batter into 2 round pans (I just put it in one big rectangular one as it is going to get broken up anyway) and bake for 35-45 minutes (depending on the size of the pan). Cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.
    Let it cool
    Now for the fun part, get those hands in there and gently break it up into lots and lots of little crumbs!![​IMG]
    Put it aside and make the frosting.

PART 2 - FROSTING
    This recipe is from "Carol" on www.cakecentral.com

Ingredients
    225g Cream Cheese, softened
    56g Butter, softened
    1 Tablespoons lemon juice (I used lime)
    1 Teaspoon vanilla
    5 Cups Icing Sugar Mixture (not pure icing sugar - it will set too hard)
    [​IMG]
    Directions

Beat cream cheese, butter, lemon juice and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy. Add sugar in 2 batches.

PART 3 - SHAPING

Gently fold the frosting into the cake crumbs. YUMMY! Be sure to taste it at this stage (no reason - just cause it tastes good!!)[​IMG]
    Shape the mixture into balls and place onto a tray lined with baking paper. I made my balls in 4 different sizes to represent the 4 atoms that make up the molecule.
    [​IMG]

PART 4 - COATING
    Ordinarily when I make cake pops (and all credit here goes to Bakerella of www.bakerella.blogspot.com for the COOLEST cake pops ever!!) I just coat them in melted chocolate, which I did for the smallest balls (Hydrogen). [​IMG]They were nice and easy. I just melted some white chocolate over simmering water, dropped them in and scooped them out and left them on a tray to cool and set.
    For the rest, I wanted colour, and as I am housebound at the moment, I had to make-do with what I could find in Mum's pantry, so sugar and food colouring to the rescue! I made up some toffee and coloured it with your regular supermarket food colourings. Here's how:

Ingredients

0.25 Cups Sugar
    1 Cup Water
    1 teaspoon Glucose
    Food Colouring or cocoa

Directions

Place water, sugar and glucose in a small, heavy based saucepan and stir until ALL the sugar has dissolved. Bring it to the boil and STOP STIRRING immediately! With a pastry brush dipped in water, brush any crystals off the inside of the pan. Boil for 20 minutes until a spoonful of toffee dropped in a glass of cold water makes a "crack" sound and forms a hard ball.
    Take it off the heat and add a few drops of colouring[​IMG] or 2 teaspoons of cocoa.[​IMG]
    Carefully drop one ball in at a time, turning it over with a fork to evenly coat, then drain the excess toffee from it and place the coated ball on a lined tray to cool and set.
    [​IMG]
    PART 5 - ASSEMBLY

Now for the fun part! Grab a heap of toothpicks, a metal skewer, a candle, a box of matches, tray and either baking paper or a silicon mat.

Because the toffee dries hard, there is no way you can push a toothpick in without shattering it...ask me how I know!! So, you light the candle with the matches and hold the metal skewer in the flame for a few seconds then push it through the toffee shell into the cake centre, [​IMG]wiggle it around a bit, take it out and you have a hole just the right size to poke your toothpick in! Yippee it works! Assemble molecule as desired.

So folks, after much ado, here it is, my edible molecular model of theobromine. A cooking and chemistry lesson all in one for the kids (pity they are only 4 and 6 - I think the science was a bit lost on them - but they loved the taste!!)
    [​IMG]
    In case you are wondering, the small white chocolate balls are the Hydrogen, the blue ones are Nitrogen, the red are Oxygen and the black (cocoa) ones are Carbon.
    [​IMG]

4. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Green tea red bean cake

One of my most favourite cakes in the world. Green tea red bean cake! Bread Top sells something similar for close to $40, which makes it a very expensive indulgence! Here's my attempt at making something similar.

Ingredients:
    [​IMG]

I forgot to take a photo of the red bean paste, but can be bought in plastic packets at most asian grocery stores.

Beating the eggs until pale and fluffy for the sponge cake.

[​IMG]

Cakes going in the oven.

[​IMG]

Lightly toasting the flaked almond

[​IMG]

Spread one cake with a green tea cream (Basically whipped cream with sugar and green tea powder) and then top with the red bean paste.

[​IMG]

No photos during the decorating process. My little cousins found out that I was making a cake and had surrounded the cake. MUST. PROTECT. CAKE!

I've left the centre of the cake bare as its my cousins birthday today, so we have a little "Happy birthday" plaque/candle thing we're going to put into the centre.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I'd upload most of the photos now incase I don't have time to post later tonight. Will try and post a cross section of it later. :thumbup: BUT, must wait for the birthday boy to cut the cake before I can take a photo! Hopefully it doesn't get mangled too much during the cutting process. Cos 4yo boy + knife = bad.

Edit: This was the least mangled piece after the cake got hacked into by a 4yo!

[​IMG]

The cake was a huge success. My mum has already put orders down for me to make this cake for all her friend's birthdays. It'll certainly save them $40 a pop buying it from bread top.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  5. AngelMoo

AngelMoo Member

Black Forrest cake

INGREDIENTS
    cake
    125g butter
    1 cup caster sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence
    1/3 cup self raising flour
    1 cup plain flour
    1 teaspoon bicarb soda
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    3/4 cup cream

filling
    1/4 cup kirsch
    3 cups cream
    cherries to cover inside layers

topping
    whipped cream + cocoa
    cherries and shaved chocolate to decorate

DIRECTIONS

Beat sugar and butter until creamy:

Click to view full size!

Gradually add eggs and vanilla essence while beating. Add the sifted dry ingredients and cream a bit at a time, folding them into the mix with a fork. I skipped a few pics but the end result is this:

Click to view full size!

Put mix into greased cake tin and put tin into oven preheated to 180 degrees. Bake for 50-60mins or until you can poke it with a skewer and have it come out clean:

Click to view full size!

Take cake out of the oven and realise that you should have put more baking soda in because you didn't buy bicarb. Decide to have a 2 layer cake instead of 3 then cut the cake in half

Click to view full size!

Mix cream and add sugar and vanilla essence. Put some aside for the top and add cocoa powder to it. Do not over beat

Click to view full size!

Pour kirsch (or liquid from the bottled cherries) over the cake layers. Spread cream over the bottom layer and cover with cherries. Add more cream so the top layer will stick

Click to view full size!

Carefully put the top layer on the cake and cover in choc-cream. Decorate with cherries and grated dark chocolate. Add the obligatory username, making sure it looks appropriately out of place

Click to view full size!

Cut and eat :)

Click to view full size!

Mine might not look as pretty as the other cakes but it tasted good...

6. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Hazelnut Dobos Torte with Washed Chocolate and Caramel Buttercream

Dobos Torte (Pronounced Day-bosh, Doh-bosh or Doh-boss, depending on which country you're in!) is an Eastern/Mid European celebration cake. It's quite involved, so you don't see them around too much, but the effort is really worth it!
    This cake was invented prior to refridgeration. This fact is important, as it comes into play later on.

As this cake is so involved, I've included a number of photos. I'll try to keep it to a minimum as much as I can!

My ingredients, arranged nicely. As it turned out, I ended up needing 8 eggs in total, not the 5 pictured.
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

*For the sponge*
    -8 eggs
    -1/4 cup cornflour
    -1/2 cup hazelnut meal
    -2/3 cup plain flour
    -2/3 cup SR flour
    -3 teaspoons vanilla essence
    1/2 teaspoon salt

*For the buttercream*
    400gm butter, softened
    1 cup icing sugar mixture
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 tablespoon Frangelico (not pictured)
    100gm dark chocolate
    Approx 1/2 cup golden syrup

*finishing touches*
    1 cup golden syrup
    extra hazelnut meal
    Approx 1/2 cup flaked almonds

For starters, I made the sponge cake. (With respect to this recipe.)
    I was intending to modify it more heavily (separating the whites to beat first to aerate it more) but I had a bad egg-separation day, which is bad news when you have 8 eggs! Lesson learnt - always crack into a separate bowl!
    But, my end goal wasn't a regular sponge cake, I wanted it to be really dry. I added in the hazelnut meal for flavour, but also used a slightly greater proprtion of dry ingredients than the recipe. (Traditional Dobos Torte has no hazelnut flavour, though almond flakes are often used for decoration.)

You have to work really fast with a sponge cake, or the batter will deflate. So, preheat the oven to 180oc, and prepare a cake tin by lining the base with greaseproof (not baking) paper. Generously grease the sides of the tin, and sprinkle with plain flour (so the batter doesn't come into contact with the fat or it will deflate.)

Beating the eggs, sugar and salt until thick, pale and trebled in volume.
    [​IMG]

Fold in the triple-sifted dry ingredients. (Yes, even sift the hazelnut meal!)
    Didn't get any photos of this stage, as I was focussed on getting that thing in the oven!

But here's what it looked like on the way in...
    [​IMG]

And the way out...
    [​IMG]
    (Again, you have to be really careful not to open the oven excessively or anything, as the cake will deflate, so no "action" shots! :D)
    As I made a double mixture of the sponge cake batter, I had to use a 2.5L round ceramic baking dish to bake it in! It worked well!

Flipped out of the tin immediately onto paper-lined cake rack.
    [​IMG]

While waiting for it to cool, make the washed buttercream. Traditionally, this is known as "washed mock cream", but I've called it washed buttercream to save any confusion with imitation cream. Recipe here, as a part of another recipe. But growing up in the country, this is something I just knew and didn't use a recipe to produce. :leet:

The traditional Dobos Torte recipe uses just regular chocolate buttercream, I washed it to make it extra light and fluffy. I also made a portion of it caramel instead of chocolate, to tie in with the toffee crust.

Butter and sugar mixed together.
    [​IMG]

Beaten until light and fluffy.
    [​IMG]

Just add water! :lol:
    [​IMG]
    You don't want to use really cold water, as it will make the butter more difficult to work with. But anything above ~25oc gets a bit risky as far as the butter melting. About 15oc is ideal.

Swirl the water gently, and it should start geeting slightly whitish in colour.
    [​IMG]

Rinse and repeat until the water stays fairly clear, beating between each washing. The final result - see how much paler it is to the beaten butter?
    [​IMG]

Portion off about 1/4 of the buttercream. Add golden syrup to it at a ratio of 2 parts buttercream to 1 part golden syrup.
    [​IMG]

With the remaining buttercream, melt 100g dark chocolate on a very low temperature, and stir it in. (The chocolate must not have any heat left in it, or it will melt the buttercream and undo all your hard work thus far. :upset:)
    [​IMG]

Cut the sponge cake horizontally into four. Notice how dry and crumbly it is? This is normally a bad thing for a sponge, but in this recipe it's what works the best!
    [​IMG]

I like to invert the entire cake at this point, so the base becomes the top, as it gives you a flat surface to finish. I also recommend assembling the cake in the board/plate/tray you wish to present it on, and it becomes too risky to move! ;) I had to use a crappy plastic plate, as I was taking it to work for a birthday the next day.

Put the bottom layer down (ie, the top of the cooked cake should now be face-down on the board) and spread a layer of the washed chocolate buttercream over it, slightly less than 1 centimetre thick.
    [​IMG]

Now sandwich on the next layer of cake, and spread the caramel buttercream over it.
    [​IMG]

Now another layer of cake, and chocolate buttercream. Finally, the last layer of the cake (which was originally the bottom of the cooked cake) can be placed on.
    [​IMG]

Next, the sides all need to be spread with the remaing chocolate buttercream...
    [​IMG]

...and then sprinkled with hazelnut meal.
    [​IMG]

The toffee goes on next. By this time, it was about 1am, and I needed to get up for work at 6am, so I cheated a little. Instead of making a regular toffee with water and sugar, I placed about 1 cup of golden syrup in the microwave and boiled it until it droplets turned brittle when dripped into cold water. It may have taken about 20 mins with frequent checks and stirring, but at least I could do it while assembling the cake!

Hot toffee waiting for cake.
    [​IMG]

Pour the hot toffee over the cake and spread using a heated, oiled spatula.
    It is preferable to score the toffee into serving slices at this point, but I was more concerned about presentation, and figured this could be tomorrow's battle! :lol:

Pipe the remaining buttercream around the top edge, and top with the flaked almonds.
    [​IMG]

Finished masterpiece! :D
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I made my username with the remaining crumbs, which I didn't think was all that bad given the time of day! It was now 2am, and I started this cake at about 3pm. :tired:

...And my special piece! :weirdo:
    [​IMG]

^This photo was taken 3 days later, after all of the flavours start to meld together!
    You can just see the caramel buttercream in the middle of the cake, and that top layer above the top buttercream is actually cake, that the toffee has soaked into.
    The idea is that each layer of cake absorbs the moisture and flavour from the layer of buttercream or toffee above it, so you end up with this totally unique mouthful of flavours, rather than just one.
    And because the dry sponge absorbs the moistness from the above layer, you end up with a cake that looks and tastes like sponge, but with the moistness and texture of a rich mud cake - the best of both worlds!

This cake is designed to keep for a week or more, with no products that will spoil rapidly. As it needs time to absorb the flavours and moisture, it is better eaten a day or more later than when it is assembled. It sweats if kept in the fridge, but needs be kept under about 25oc, so the butter stays stable!

I haven't made that cake for 10 years, and this one tasted even better than the one I remembered! I think the addition of the hazelnuts made this cake so much better! If I wasn't already married, I think I would want this cake as my wedding cake. (Maybe that's a good thing - there would be way too much work involved in producing one of these for a wedding! :lol: :Paranoid: :lol:)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  7. doug81

doug81 Member

doug81's Double Fondant Dessert

I was going to try a different cake, but the oven I have at the moment is around 30 years old, electric and not fan forced, and temps in fahrenheit. Can't wait til the house is built! But I'd managed to figure out how to do a fondant through some trial and error, so I thought I'd try a couple of new ones. One worked better than I expected, one not so much. But they both tasted really good. Here it goes...

Ingredients

Click to view full size!

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Fondant

50gm dark chocolate
    50gm butter
    25gm caster sugar
    1 egg + 1 yolk
    15gm plain flour
    1 tblsp crunchy peanut butter

White Chocolate Fondant

50gm white chocolate
    50gm butter
    25gm caster sugar
    1 egg + 1 yolk
    15gm plain flour

Salted Butter Caramel

1/2 cup caster sugar
    45gm butter
    1tblsp golden syrup
    1/6 cup liquid glucose
    1/4 cup condensed milk
    1tsp vanilla essence
    pink salt flakes

Caramel Banana

1 banana
    2 tblsp brown sugar
    2 tsp butter

Directions

Start by making the Butter Caramel so it can set. Add all the ingredients except the vanilla and salt into a saucepan and melt over low heat until it dissolves. Then ramp up the temperature and boil it until the colour changes to a darker brown. Add the vanilla essence and the caramel is ready.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Here I've put greaseproof paper into a small bowl to get the shape I want, but use whatever you like if you're making it. The paper makes it a lot easier to get out. Pour half into the mould, sprinkle with the flaked salt, pour the rest over the top, then allow to cool either in the fridge or at room temp. I put it in the fridge as I was a bit short on time, but didn't let it set completely. If it's a little warm, it's soft and a bit chewy, but if you put it in the fridge for a while it's a very hard, chewy caramel. I cut it into little batons and squares and rubbed one side in the salt.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

next, I make a peanut butter ball using the tablespoon of crunchy PB from the dark choc fondant bit. This goes in the freezer to set.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Onto the fondants. In each case the recipe is followed the same. Notice the dark flecks in the white chocolate, this is vanilla bean and makes it some of the best chocolate I've ever had. Gotta love Green & Blacks! Anyway, melt the chocolate and butter together over a water bath, then add sugar, eggs & extra yolk, then mix together. Add the flour and mix further. Then grease the moulds with plenty of butter, and use either sugar or sugar & cocoa mixed together to coat the butter. This forms a toffee coating for the fondant and helps it out of the mould.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Pour the fondant batter into the mould, being careful not to splash any up the sides. In the dark chocolate one, drop the frozen peanut butter ball. Then bake in the over at 410F (or about 190C if you have a proper oven!) for about 12 minutes. I have since figured out that you need the top to just seal over and then take it out of the oven, so after about 10 minutes you may just want to keep a close eye on them.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

While they are in the oven, it's time for the caramel banana. Slice the banana and sprinkle with brown sugar. place this into a frypan sugar side down and sprinkle with more sugar. then add a small amount of butter (probably a tsp or two would do it really). Cook the banana on both sides for a couple of minutes to caramelise and swirl to ensure they are well coated. Arrange as you like on the plate and drizzle with caramel butter from the pan.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Now it's just a matter of plating up and serving. One of these things is not like the other...

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

The dark chocolate one didn't quite work as well as the white chocolate one did, which has been my best fondant so far and it just fell out of the mould onto the plate without any leakage of the filling at all. I think the frozen peanut butter affected it and it needed a few more minutes in the oven. Anyway, here's the finished entry:

[​IMG]

The flavours were brilliant! The white fondant tasted like liquid white chocolate vanilla custard, and the peanut butter in the dark chocolate one added a salty crunch to the smooth and rich chocolate taste. The salted caramels worked pretty well too, with each salt crystal bursting through the buttery caramel, and the banana's matched perfectly with the vanilla white chocolate taste.All in all, I'm pretty happy with the result, even though the dark chocolate fondant wasn't as pretty as it should have been. Now I feel sick from eating it all and I need to lie down and digest for a while!

8. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

Layered Sabayon mousse cake.

I've made a 9 layered Sabayon Mousse cake with the mousse and the base borrowed and altered from the Masterchef challenge (Adrian Zumbo's Mousse cake).

Layers:
    Raspberry Ganache
    65g raspberry pulp
    6g honey
    25g caster sugar
    3g caster sugar
    4g jamsetta (Pectin)
    100g 64% finely chopped dark chocolate
    18g butter
    • Lightly heat the pulped raspberry pulp and add in the honey and first lot of caster sugar then bring to the boil.
    • Add the jamsetta and caster sugar and mix thoroughly while over heat for 1 minute.
    • Pour the raspberry pulp over the chocolate and stir through. When the mixture hits 40C, blend with a stick blender and add the butter.
    [​IMG]

Sabayon
    60ml liquid strained black tea
    50g sugar
    50g egg
    • Add everything together in a baine marie that is on a low simmer.
    • Whisk for ten minutes, the mixture should become frothy and then thicken while still being light and frothy.

Mousse
    Sabayon (See Above)
    145g of Ganache (See Above)
    60g of melted dark chocolate
    400g of cream whipped to soft peaks
    • Lightly reheat the ganache in the microwave for 30 seconds at 40% power.
    • Fold the ganache and the melted chocolate into the whipped cream.
    • Fold the sabayon gently into the mousse.
    [​IMG]

Mudcake
    1 cup Sugar
    7/8 cup Flour
    3/4 cup cocoa
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 peanut oil
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/3 cup boiling water
    • Heat oven to 160C, grease two 20cm round baking tins (Or line with baking power).
    • In a mixing bowl blend all the dry ingredients.
    • Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla and beat on medium for 2 minutes.
    • Stir in the boiling water slowly.
    • Split the mixture between the two tins and bake for 30 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Hazelnut Gianduia
    110g Dark Choc
    2 tsp Icing sugar
    3tbsp peanut oil
    70g hazelnuts
    • Toast the hazelnuts then roll them in a tea towel to remove the skins.
    • Blend the hazelnuts to a fine powder in a grinder or blender.
    • Add the oil, hazelnuts, and Icing sugar into a bowel and stir with a spoon until it is all incorperated.
    [​IMG]

Cinnamon Pate Sable
    140g cubed cold butter cubed
    90g caster sugar
    188g plain flour
    1/2 egg
    2g ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
    • Preheat over to 160C.
    • Add flour, sugar, butter, and cinnamon to a food processor and blitz to fin crumb, add the egg and vanilla, then add the vanilla and egg and blend to a dough.
    • Roll the dough out on a layer of grease paper, Knead it lightly then roll it to 6-7mm thick on the baking paper.
    • Using your final cake tin, Press down into the sheet of dough, remove the excess dough outside the cutter, then transfer the baking paper, cutter, and dough into the oven and bake until light golden (About 15-20min).
    [​IMG]

Hazelnut Praline
    1/2 cup Caster sugar
    2 tbsp warm water
    35g Hazelnuts
    • Toast the hazelnuts, then roll them in a tea towel to remove the skins, then place them on baking paper.
    • Mix the sugar and water together in a heavy saucepan, bring to the boil and then simmer until it hits 160C or it becomes a light caramel cover.
    • Pour the toffee over the hazelnuts and allow them to set.
    • Place the nuts and toffee in a food processor and blend to a powder.

Marbeled casing
    50g Melted White chocolate
    50g Melted Dark chocolate
    • Line your final mold with baking paper, you may need to smear it with margerine to make it stick to the baking tin.
    • Drizzle 3/4 of the white chocolate onto the inner sides of the tin, backfill with Dark chocolate, then using a palette knife, smear the chocolate in an even coating around the tin until you have no holes, You may need to use the remaining white chocolate to fill any gaps.
    [​IMG]

Final Steps
    • Pour half the mousse into the cake tin, Use a layer of cake and press firmly into the mousse, smear the top of the cake with gianduia. Repeat the process, then finish with the Sable, pressing down firmly to fill any air gaps.
    • Allow to set in the fridge for at least an hour (3 or 4 is better though)
    • Gently unmold!, I used a tin that expands when you undo a catch. Gently peel off the baking paper.
      [​IMG]
    • Sprinkle the top of the exposed mousse with Praline.
      [​IMG]
    • Slice with a hot knife to serve.
      [​IMG]

Final Thoughts

This cake was made for my birthday, I saw how much the masterchef contestants struggled with this cake and thought I could do it better, but without the amount of caramel they used, so I needed a different binding and seperating agent. The outer shell looked amazing, and tasted extremely good. I considered using a flourless mudcake or a cocoa butter based mudcake, but both would have been too dense, and would have made the cake to heavy (Both physically and in terms of flavour), The cake used was light, soft, and very rich. The praline gave every bite a small crunch and a burst of flavour while the gianduia acted like a glue to hold the cake together, and prevent the mousse from soaking into the cake.
      The sabayon mousse was the hardest, in essence you're making jam, and then adding chocolate to create a sugar ganache, then adding a very light whipped egg dessert to create and extremely light, flavourfull mousse that was incredibly smooth. The outter shell worked really well, it gave the cake an overall very impressive 3D folded sheet look.
      [​IMG]

9. BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle Member

BobsYourUncle's Manly BBQ-d Chocolate Cake

How do you make cake manly? Cook it in the Weber!

Ingredients:
    [​IMG]
    (missing icing sugar and coconut, forgot about the icing at this stage)

Mix:
    [​IMG]

Grease up a drip tray :D (a new, clean one of course):
    [​IMG]

Fire not quite ready:
    [​IMG]

Cake ready to cook:
    [​IMG]

Almost done:
    [​IMG]

Iced and coconutted (no chocolate cake is complete without coconut):
    [​IMG]

Money shot:
    [​IMG]

10. scon

scon Member

Baked Goat's Cheese Cheesecake and 3-Hour Caramel Pears.

Ok. This was way too rich. I made these much too big, they need to be smaller, like petit four size, but they were also damn tasty, particularly the pears. These pears would go great guns with some blue cheese!

Ok, first up the ingredients (I'd started the pears by this stage so they're not in this image):

[​IMG]

The cheesecake is made by mixing goats cheese, an egg, an egg yolk and sugar together till combined then mixing through the sour creme. This is then poured into moulds and baked in a 160 oven for about 20-25 minutes. The molds are then put in the fridge to cool down.

I made a cinnamon caramel, which then got poured over the pears:

[​IMG]

The pears then got baked in a 160 oven for 3 hours, basting every half hour with the caramel syrup. This is the pears when done.

[​IMG]

Then just make some rounds of puff pastry (would have been better with a biscuit base, tbh) and plating up. I'm certainly no pastry chef!

Click to view full size!

But yeah, t'was lovely, but in reality, the cheesecake should only have been about an inch cubed, the amount here was way too much and I could only eat about a third or so. I also think that the pears were by far the star of the dessert, and those with some icecream, would be perfect, pairing them with a cheesecake was just too much.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.