OCAU Bake-Off 2009

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

OCAU Bake-off 2009

OCAU's annual bake-off is due this month, so no Iron Chef. Instead we will run this to Iron Chef rules. Unlike the previous bake-off, where all the entries had to be created and displayed within a 12 hour period, this bake-off will happen over 9 days. You have two weekends to get entries in.

Open date: Sat 18th July 08:00AM
    Close date: Sun 26th July 24:00 midnight

[​IMG]
    Bleckers winning 2008 Bake-off entry

RULES
    - No entries accepted before or after opening and closing dates
    - you MUST submit photographs of you preparing the dish as proof that you cooked it. At least four pictures, one of which has your OCAU username on it.
    - make sure that your post complies with the geek food guidelines.
    - you can NOT use packet made cakes. The cake ingredients must be from scratch.
    - all entries must be dessert type, and cooked in an oven. This means no savoury baked concoctions (e.g. quiche, calzone, pizzas). No fridge set cheesecakes. Acceptable entries also include cupcakes, muffins, and biscuits.

JUDGING
    As per iron chef, there will be two polls.

The entrants only poll is open only to people who have submitted entries to OCAU Bake Off 2009. At the close of the competition, PM your vote to Ma Baker in this format:

3 points: xxx
    2 points: yyy
    1 point: zzz

You may not vote for yourself. The winner of the entrants poll is considered to be the winner of the 2009 OCAU Bake Off.

The people's choice poll is open to everyone on OCAU to vote.

Previous Iron Chefs and Bake Off winners

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Mrs Dan77's winning Iron Chef OCAU Jun 09 entry

Iron Chef Jun 09 (Mushroom): Mrs Dan77 (entrants vote), Amfibius (public vote)
    discussion, entries, voting.

Iron Chef May 09 (Minced Meat): scon (entrants vote), Amfibius (public vote)

Iron Chef Sep 08 (Pizza): SamBoio

OCAU Bake-off Jul 08 (Cake): Bleckers
    discussion, entries

OCAU Bake-off Oct 06 (Cake): kthnx
    discussion, winners

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  2. scon

scon Member

Awesome. I have something that's a bit of an unusual take on a classic that I've been meaning to try for some time now. Bring it!

3. glasnt

glasnt Member

I actually own a rolling pin this time :D

I just hope I can find my ruddy camera cable :(

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  4. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Alright!

Thanks for making it run longer

5. scon

scon Member

Just thought I'd give a quick plug to my sister's blog, she's definitely the baker of the family. I doubt anyone here is keen to make a Thomas the Tank Engine cake. But, it should give you some good ideas if you really want to construct something in 3D.

3D Cake Building.

Be sure to comment if you like it.

6. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Far from it with two boys Thomas is a fixture @ chez kombi!

7. omghi

omghi Member

I have some ideas. I don't own any fancy cake tins though so will probably go along the lines of biscuit rather than cake.

How much oven baking has to happen to qualify something as baked?

8. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Just heard that Agg will be contributing prizes for this one. No news yet on how he plans to award the prizes, or what will be up for grabs.

Another thing - seems to be very few replies so far. Are people not interested? Should we delay this for a few weeks?

9. salmon

salmon Member

Are you confined to one baked item only??
    And can you make condiments out of the oven ie Creme' anglaise or creme' pat etc??

Thanks, salmon

10. bleckers

bleckers Member

Baking :D!

Edit: BTW, I'm entering.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  11. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

I'm 50/50 on entering this, It depends largely on how many people show up for my after party for my birthday celebrations, If it's less than 8 then I will do single serve ramikin pudding/cheese cake sorta things. I love to make cakes but I dont seem to do well in these competitions so I'm not sure if it's worth the extra work involved.

12. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Oh man, I want me some kids so I can decorate cakes like that! I can't wait! Wedding cakes are so mundane in comparison!

*Puts hand up for baking comp*

13. doug81

doug81 Member

I'm in. should I do the fondant that might score well in the votes, or something more creative that will taste excellent but sit me near the bottom as per usual....

14. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

I reckon you should do whatever you are going to be happy baking and eating. I was going to do a dobos torte, coz it's one of my favourite cakes to eat but I rarely get a chance to make it. But I might end up doing something that I can decorate, because I am thinking I need to brush up my decorating skills. We will see! :D

15. doug81

doug81 Member

That looks pretty damn cool, if only we could all mail each other slices of cake in an envelope...

16. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

This comes up every year! Oh well... just give me your recipe and any handy hints, and I'll re-create it myself, if I have to!!! :weirdo:

Yeah, the torte is amazing. Layers of crispy "sponge cake", crackly toffee, crunchy toasted nuts and chocolate buttercream - it is so good! It's a bit fiddly, but the real problem I have is that the toffee shell looks so good as is, it's an undecoratable cake!

17. __Vicinta

__Vicinta (Banned or Deleted)

18. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

What about a multi layered cake with baked and unbaked layers?. You could argue that icing isnt allowed as it isnt baked, but by the reasoning that it is allowed, then something like a baked cheesecake base topped with a fridge set cheesecake filling would be allowed as it is just a topping like icing.

19. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

It just has to be a baked dessert, guys. I guess that the traditional entries so far are cakes, muffins, and biscuits. I suppose even a Baked Alaska would fall within the rules, even though it is only the meringue which is baked.

20. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

...unless it's torched! (Then would it not count? ;))

^Actually, I've just re-read your post. You said Baked Alaska, not Bombe Alaska. So I guess that answers the question then! :D

Oh, and the aforementioned Torte would count, wouldn't it? It's baked flat sponge cakes that are then layered together post baking.