OCAU BAKE-OFF [Official]

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by splosh123, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. splosh123

splosh123 Member

Roll up, roll up ladies and gentlemen for the Overclockers Australia Bake-Off.

What is a bake-off?

A bunch of people, competing with each other to make the best looking baked cake.

Rules and Conditions?

1. Cakes must be made by you and only you. No helping from any other person.

2. Cake must be prepared, cooked and served at the set time provided.

3. In order to prove that you are cooking the cake, you must take photo's of the cake, ingredients and take photo's of your progress of the cake baking process.

This includes photo's of; Ingredients, Mixing bowl, Cake in the oven, cake out of the oven and the final cake.

4. Cakes Cannot be packet made cakes. The cake must use ingrediants used from scratch. (As the saying goes, If you can read, you can cook). So pull out those receipe books and bake up.

5. Have fun, play nicely.

Anti-Cheating?

At the start of the bake-off, each participant will be given a number through PM. This is your official OCAU Bake-Off competitor number. You will use this number in all the photos you take of your cake. We suggest you type out your number, and have the number in each of the photo's.

Judges...

The Official judges for the OCAU Bake-Off are... *Drum roll*

Agg aka. Agg the ruler of all cakes.
    PostModern aka. The know-it-all of cakes.
    Bern aka. Dis cake haz bin bernatored.

These are your three wonderful Bake-Off Judges.

Criterea of the cake

The cake will judged on the appearance. This includes;

Shape; Is it circle, is it a worm? is it rectangle? Not all shapes are plain and boring!
    Size; 'It's not the size that matters, it's the way you use it' No true in the OCAU Bake-off. Make you cake BIG AND BOLD! Or you can go with a small cupcake. But remember bigger it is, more you can fit on it.
    Colours; It would nice if it wasn't a shade of a colour. Make it crazy! make it a million colours! More colourful, the better score.
    Stability; If your cake cannot stand on its own feet, what good is that? Let you cake stand tall and free by itself. Also if the cake is cracked and has fallen apart, you will be marked down.
    Creativity; Go crazy, don't be normal... This is OCAU here... There is no normal!

We're not looking for just plain original chocolate cakes, or plain butter cakes. We want some energy in this. Some passion and creativity. Be original, be crazy!

Prizes

First Prize: one OCAU Polo Shirt AND two OCAU Stubby Holders.
    Second Prize: your choice of an OCAU Polo Shirt OR two OCAU Stubby Holders
    Third Prize: the other second prize

Time, Place?

This weekend. 14th October 2006. Is the first official Bake-off. A time will be announced soon.

If you want to participate, place your name in this Thread.

Just remember; There are no losers, you still get to eat the cake! :leet:

Competitors

1. Pork_Roll
    2. -KoMoD0-

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2006
  2. Pork_Roll

Pork_Roll Member

bring it on bitches

3. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

Im in....

:D

4. kthnx

kthnx Member

Hey all. Can any entries from this point on (and the two gents above this post) please fill out this entry form.
    http://www.cts47.com/ocau/
    Will help us keep a tidy list and mail out updates to those competing.
    -kthnx

5. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

done.... :)

6. Demented Freak

Demented Freak Member

Done and done :)

7. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

Ill have to make a test one this week

As long as it holds together that will be ok

8. kthnx

kthnx Member

Filled out my own entry form :Pirate:
    Splosh, I assume you're entering too?

9. RavenKittie

RavenKittie Member

I'm in :) I just hope this one turns out better than my last try. And considering last try was a packet mix, I've got alot to learn :lol:

10. Kiba

Kiba RIP Lest we forget!

this is ausome !! not being able to cook im not going to enter, but i am sure as hell going to watch !! IRON CHEFF OCAU !!! WHO"S CUISINE REIGNS SUPREME!!!!

11. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

I will be out on site for this bake-off. :(

I'll see if i can con the chef's into letting me in the kitchen.. are there penalty points for using industrial ovens/mixers/etc?

12. kthnx

kthnx Member

You don't need to be good to enter :) There's a chance the winning cake could suck completely and just be really creative.

Provided you aren't getting help from the industrial chefs I think that'd be fine. And cool.

13. scon

scon Member

Is it going to be on a specific time on Saturday? I've got a party to be at that evening, but if it's during the day, I'm v. keen.

14. kthnx

kthnx Member

Hi Scon,
    Was just having a think about this. What's going to happen:
    I'll make a new thread in this forum. In the thread will be each of the contestants names, divided into three sessions - one in the morning, one around midday, one around the evening. If you don't specify a session, you'll just get randomly allocated one.
    Anyway, at the time that the session is scheduled to start, there'll be a new post in the thread with the names of everyone in that session and their unique anti-cheating numbers. You then have ninety minutes to finish your cake, take pictures which have your anti-cheating number in them, and then upload the pictures. Once all your pictures are up, you put a post in the competition thread with all your pictures in it - that way we can make sure that everyone in that session has finished in time. When the next session starts, there'll be another post made with the names of contestants in that session and their anti cheating numbers, and they'll have the same time to do the same things as the session before.
    Please tell me if that doesn't make sense and I'll have a go at explaining it again a little more clearly.
    -kthnx

PS: The current session times (tentative, to be confirmed on wednesday) are:
    i. 9.00 AM - 10.30 AM
    ii. 1.00 PM - 2.30 PM
    iii. 7.00 PM - 8.30 PM
    Let me know if anyone can't make the above times, and edit your post with your session preference (if you have one).
    The judges will start judging on Sunday so we should know the winnar by Monday.

Edit: So you don't have to suffer too much with upload times, you only need to have your FIRST PICTURE (this must be the last in the series so we know you're finished) uploaded by the end of the hour and half. You will then have an extra half hour (ie, until two hours after the start time) to finish all your uploading and link them in.
    At the official finishing time (after 90 mins) Splosh or I will check through and make sure all the entrants have posted at least one picture of their cake.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  15. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

Bang a gong, we are on!

I'm not sure about having a bake off without tasting, as I'm more of a "taste is more important than presentation" type of cook, but I'll have a stab at it. Not sure about the "session" idea, since I'll have the family to worry about, but I can probably make it in the early afternoon. I'll have to decide what sort of cake to make. Also, the cake may take longer than 90min to make depending on the type of cake (IIRC one I like to make is ~60min of baking, then it must cool slowly and completely before the syrup can be added)

16. scon

scon Member

Yeh... Agree with the 1.5 hour limit... especially seeing as we're being scored pretty much wholly on presentation. But I'm up for a timed challenge if everyone else is.

17. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Hehe.. i wont be able to make any of those times.. i would have to wait until after the dinner session on site.. if i could use the kitchen at all. :)

All good though.. i'll join in on one when i am in perth for it. Should be good. :thumbup:

18. Mystikos

Mystikos Member

I'd like to enter, but I probably won't be around. Also I like to be spontaneous with my baking. None of this scheduled stuff :p.

I do a meeeaan sponge!

19. scon

scon Member

Copout! Put yer sponge where your mouth is!

Funny... that's what you usually do with your cake isn't it... put it where your mouth is.

20. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

ii. 1.00 PM - 2.30 PM

Thats the best time for me on a weekend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.