OCAU DJ Thread

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Goose1981, Oct 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Noticed that a lot of the DJ'ing chat with respect to specifics such as decks/mixers/vinyl/monitors/cdj's/digital emulation/production etc etc gets split up and around the place on OCAU.

About 4 or 5 threads running with various bib's a bob's of info for beginners through to resident's.. might be a good idea to colate a lot of it here. :)

So.. post up your setup's, share your tips and tricks, any sites/forums you recommend, what styles you like etc.. :thumbup:

If this isnt a good idea i'm sure it will die a quiet death.. :lol:

2. Cheatz

Cheatz Member

My setup:

2x 1210 MK 5's
    Stanton SMX-501
    2x Shure M44g
    Serato Scratch Live

running on a old stereo system.

I should have learnt how to beatmix because now i'm still looking at the beats on the screen with serato and it's hard not to look. :(

Anyway i now have adopted putting the xfader in the middle and playing with the volume faders, i think you get better control over the sound rather than just sliding the xfader back and forth.

3. OP
    OP
    Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

I found myself just using the graphical thing in SSL the other day.. confused the hell out of me and just went back to doing it by ear. Depends how you start out i guess.

As for the xfader i started off doing that.. then swapped to using the fader.. and now i use a mixture of both depending on what i'm mixing.

For house/breaks i use the volume's.. for trance i use the x-faders.

House/breaks i like to drop stuff in rather hard, say have the low-pass real wet on the track i am putting in and just drop it beat by beat (pulling the volume up and down).. then speed it up bit by bit over a 32 count and tone down the filter as i go.. then bring out the other track and i'm there.

For trance i like to just ease stuff in over a long time using the xfader and a mix of the equalizer's.. although i always find myself hitting the breakdown before i bring the first song out.. ah well. :)

I *STILL* have my t-60's.. really cant wait to upgrade them. :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  4. RB30DET

RB30DET Member

Current Home Setup:

2 x SL1200's
    Xone 62
    old Technics Class AAA Integrated Amp (and still copping a beating)
    8 year old Jensen Speakers
    2 x M-Audio Studiophile BX5a's
    PC for recording

Have always mixed with Minimal Techno/Hard Techno, next on the agenda is purchasing CD decks, because I really love psy trance and the good shit is really hard to come by on vinyl(still my preferred media choice) as the good record labels get snapped up pretty quickly.

I like to experiment with different types of sets. I usually start with slow(depends on how you want to rate it) tracks, anything from 136 -140 bpm's gradually building up to fast tracks 141-150bpm's. I like to call them day/night or bright/dim mixes. Obviously have my fast dirty and dark sets, my calm moonlight sets, minimal to hard/hard to minimal sets etc.

I prefer to use really slow transitions in my mixes, sometimes close to a minute. At times I like to drop them quick for a couple of seconds just to show whats coming next, fade back out quickly to following through gently slowly increasing the lows.

Just a tip, for those that are still relying on those BPM counters get out of that habit now! If you were ever, to get serious at DJ'ing and you were asked/want to play at a club/event/etc only to find out that there's no BPM counter, your asking for trouble. I know most venue's use DJM's but still you never know, as a friend of mine found out the hardway. Practice is key.

The only time I use a bpm counter is to label my records with bpm ranges as I categorised them. Still cheating slightly, but I don't rely on them as most BPM counters are innacurate anyway, I just use it to get a ballpark figure which your ears do anyway.

Apologies for the long post.

5. OP
    OP
    Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Fantastic post mate.. the more information the better! Helps the n00bs and advanced alike.. (i fall into the former.. :lol: ).

I agree totally with the BPM counter bit. I have one of those Grey in-line counters at home.. grabbed it when i first started so i could BPM my wax.. didnt about 20 of them and then packed it up and havent used it since.

There is a counter on my denon 1500 mixer but i try not to use it unless i'm switching up from electro house to trance or something and things get messy (although as you say.. practice is the key!).

As for your preference for vinyl but rarity of tracks in your genre.. have you thought about a digital vinyl setup at all? Serato, final scratch, Ms Pinky etc..? Or will the cdj be more an expansion thing as well?

6. RB30DET

RB30DET Member

I have thought about the M-Audio Torq, then again the DNS5000's look good too. I really haven't researched enough on digital vinyl but it looks like the cheaper alternative.

7. OP
    OP
    Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

A mate of mine has an s-5000. Very nice deck. It has alpha-track which does come in handy.

Then i had a play with the s-3500's at Kosmic sound in perth, and i filled the cup. No alpha but with a direct drive platter it just feels so much better. Personal opinion of course. I am a total noob to cdj's (i still muff up stuff on the s-5000) but within the space of 10 minutes i had most of the control's on the 3500 working reasonably well.

8. SBP

SBP Member

I've got a pair of vestax pdx2000's and a stanton sk2f ltd mixer that i've had for years now.

Started out mixing hard house but then stopped for a few years while i was playing bass in a band and only recently started again mainly mixing house but a little DnB when i'm in the mood for something heavy.

I've started focusing alot more on producing now aswell.

For all the DJ's here check out www.inthemix.com.au good aussie site for all things dj/producer orientated.

9. pSYc0de

pSYc0de Member

Setup:
    2x CDJ200s
    1x Numark DXM06
    Audigy for recording

My DJ name is Trancend. I've been mixing since late July, and I play trance/progressive.

I just did a set last night, have a listen :) http://trancend.corrodedreality.org/

EDIT: clipping fixed! download and tell me what you think :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  10. OP
    OP
    Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Anyone here used American Audio HTD 4.5's or know anyone using them?

Tax return landed the other day and its time my t60's were retired.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

11. BassKat

BassKat Member

Nice thread
    I don't really have my own set up but we have a setup that we use at our training place
    its an American Audio mixer (not sure which one) and 2 x AA CDI 500 which are cdjs. I mix for my breakdance crew and therefore usually play some old school soul, funk and breaks from the 70s and some newer bboy breaks and hiphop stuff. But yeah usually its hard for me to beat match and mix stuff especially as its usually "band" stuff meaning the drums aren't always on beat so trying to keep tempos matching is hard.

But hopefully when i get money i might buy my own setup and try out some other styles of electronic music.

12. MorphY

MorphY Member

2 x Technics 1200s loaded in Alluminium cases
    Stanton sk2-f Battle mixer
    >> Stanton sk2-f optical feather fader loaded (you can blow it from one side and it will hit the other side and bounce back)
    Technics RPDJ1200 & Technics RPDJ1210 Headphones (one pair is mine, one is my housemates)
    2x Ortofon Pro M stylii loaded in Stanton half shells, with 2x spare stylii for playing out.

All this is run through an average Home stereo, with a 10" sub (strathfield car radios $99 special), we only have a small place so that does the job, its crisp, has decent high and middle, and the sub does great for the bass. Inbetween the mixer and the stereo reciever is a Sony MD unit. its a big home theater styled unit, not too sure of the exact model number, belongs to my housemate, but we have it set up that it will not allow sound to pass through unless "record" is pressed, meaning that mostly everything we do gets recorded and recorded over, but just incase that awesome mix gets layed down one sunday arvo, theres a copy of it ;)

I started out with trance about 4 years ago, and my housemate HHC about 11 years ago... We have moved from style to style, including breaks, hiphop, house, Prog and our passion, DnB. Between us, we have about 400 HHC, 200 Trance, 100 HipHop, 100 Breaks and 600 DnB records. Right now, I can be found playing dnb, hip hop and sometimes breaks, anything with a breakbeat really.

If your in sydney, keep an eye out for us (Morphee and RyanLazy), I'm playing at diversity on sept 11th, DnBBQ sept 18th and Greenbeats December 3. He is playing Greenbeats on November 5th and supporting Pendulum in december (details TBA, its still a secret ;))

Advice? Practice, practice, pratice. Whether you are doing it for fun in your bedroom, or wasn to play out in clubs, the only way to get better is to practice. Beatmatching is extremely easy once you get the hang of it, and from there you can move on and learn to EQ, then all the fun really starts. Things like scratching, teasing, cutting, double dropping all sound great (depending on the genre) and the more interesting you can make your set, the more fun you will have, and the better responce you will get from the people listening, be it a 500 strong club or 2 mates in your bedroom.

Like I mentioned above, we record pretty much everything, which means we can listen back and go "that was an awesome mix, those 2 tracks really go well" or "terrible, dont try that when out in the club".

Probably the best piece of advice is to always have fun, it can be frustrating when you are traintracking every second mix in packed club, but keep in mind, your doing something you love. I don't think anyone out there started out saying "I want to be a DJ for the money", because its not great, we all started out for the love of our chosen genre.

Those talking about the Denon S-3500. Yeah, its an awesome piece of machinery, I got to play with one when I did a radio show on Bondi FM, its a load of fun, we would burn cds with our own samples and scratch up with them, was awesome. Thing is, most clubs use Pioneer CDJ1000s, so, if your looking at playing CDs out, its probably best to grab a pair of these. The serato system looks awesome, know a few guys who use this, and never seen it faulter. Have played with Final scratch before, which was great (again, scratching own samples), though, I found it kinda buggy. My housemate was on stage infront of a packed Gaelic club playing a hiphop gig (all the beats were written by friends of ours and the two MCs who he plays with) and the finalscratch crashed...

I'm a vinyl purist, I don't use CDJs very much, only if I have a track that a friend has written and they want to hear it played out. I frown upon people who download all the latest tracks and burn them to play out. I buy most of my recrods from online stores in the uk, as buying 4-5 records usually negates the postage costs, any more than 7-8 records, and you start saving heaps. Depending on the genre you are after, there are different specialty stores, but the largest, most diverse, is www.chemical-records.co.uk .

And finally, a mix of mine, did it a few months ago now. Its a Jump up // Dancefloor DnB mix, I'll post the tracklist here too. Was first time I played around with Dubbing from the MD to PC, so its kinda soft unfortunatly.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9BKYH871

1. Pendulum - Hold your Colour (bipolar remix)
    2. Subfocus - Xray
    3. Shimon - Jazzfreak
    4. Mampi Swift - Hackers
    >> Bad Company - Snowcats
    5. Prodigy - Voodoo people (pendulum remix)
    6. Fresh - Nervous
    7. Pendulum - Sounds of life
    8. Ed Rush & Optical - Kerbkrawler
    9. Jenna G - QuickLove (Zinc remix)
    10.Shapeshifter - Long white cloud (Nu:Tone remix)
    11.Omni Trio - Renegade Snares (high contrast remix)
    12.Ram Trilogy - Skittles
    13.Ram Trilogy - Huggy Bear
    >> Interlude
    14.Fresh - Xproject
    15.Subfocus - Frozen Solid
    16.Zinc - Steppin' Stones
    17.Pascal - Serious sounds (friction remix)
    18.Krust - Warehead (TC Remix)
    19.Zinc - Fairfight (friction remix)
    20.Sparfunk - Rapture
    >> "I got him with my needle.."

Peace,

Morphee

13. danieln

danieln Member

Good stuff seeing people sharing information.

I currently run a setup of
    2 X Stanton STR8-30's
    1 X Stanton 2ch Mixer (SK-1)
    Logitech 2.1 speakers for practice

I am planning on buying a Torq/Conectiv Setup really soon so that should really get me going.

14. OP
    OP
    Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Be sure to let us know how the Torq/Connectiv adventures go. :thumbup:

What styles do you like?

I have a crate of trance i havent touched in a few months, another of old school house tracks/newish house and just started racking up digital downloads on the credit card for my serato scratch stuff. Mainly electro house (something about that angry bass.. loving it of late) but grabbing the odd DnB/Breaks tracks here and there as well.

I'll grab an updated piccy of my setup in a short bit and post it up.

EDIT: sorry about the size.. still trying to figure out how to change the settings on my new camera.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  15. OP
    OP
    Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Its certainly playable and have a lot of fun doing it.. just they have 3/5th of fk all torque. If a bee farts in the room somewhere.. it will affect the platter (ok.. exaggeration :lol: ). Heaps and heaps of fiddly speeding up/slowing down/adjusting whilst using them.

Having said that i'm glad i got them first to learn on but am looking to upgrade.

16. defrag10

defrag10 Member

Such a shame, but please feel free to give them away to the needy. i.e. Me :p :D

17. OP
    OP
    Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Love your avatar.. :)

"..like footsteps in the snow.."

*melts in the crowd..* :lol:

18. grinspoon

grinspoon Member

just a question. does anyone here use the cross fader to switch between choons or does everyone use the channel volumes to switch?

also i wanted to get a few of my sets onto my computer as mp3 tracks, would i be able to a cable from the master out into my computers "line in" sound card slot and be ready to go or would i need something else? also waht program could i use for that??

19. OP
    OP
    Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

I use both depending on what i am doing.. sometimes the cross-fader with volumes up.. sometimes the volumes with the cross-fader stuck in the middle.. sometimes a mix of both whilst buggering around with the hi/mid/lo-pass filters.

But i do things a bit weird.. sometimes i'll swap methods depending on what genre i am playing, sometimes i will just do it based on my mood (angry/hard set i just flick the cross-fader about and leave the volumes up, chilling out i play with the volumes more.. like i said.. i'm weird.. :p ).

Not sure about how to hook your computer up to the mixer but Audacity is a good program for recording.. or so i hear.

20. seadog

seadog (Banned or Deleted)

is that a pioneer 800 mixer??