OCAU DJ Thread

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Goose1981, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Agreed. I just have the filter assigned to fx unit 1 all the time.... if only the gain knob was a proper encoder.

2. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

So I have had my S4 sitting here doing nothing for quite a while cause I have no way of hearing them. So I am in the market for some active monitors ~$500. Any recommendations?

So 5" or 8" is a good place to start? Room is a fairly smallish bedroom, nothing special. Music style will mostly be electro-house, hardstyle and a bit of hip-hop.

Thanks

edit: M-Audio BX5 D2's are probably my pick at the moment for $379. Could do with saving that little extra bit of coin.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  3. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Don't bitch out on small monitors. I wouldn't get 6" again. But probably more to do with room size.

4. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Bah.... I better fucking like this little hobby. Costing me a pretty penny (cause I got to chose the good shit).

Just pulled the pin on these M-Audio BX8 D2 monitors.

[​IMG]

Really wanted some that included RCA inputs so I can also connect the PC to them seeing as I will have such nice speakers. But any in 8" that had these were just too far out of the budget. Will have to think of some other ghetto method?

5. KriiV

KriiV Member

KRK 6's are loud enough to be used as PA's. (Don't). And they are running off a gaming soundcard, at -1Db Amplification on the read of the monitor. You dont need anything bigger than 6.. Go have a listen at your local store, you'll realise how powerful they really are. Go for a good brand. ie. KRK, Yamaha, JBL.

If you need bass but dont want a subwoofer, for for KRK's. The bottom end reproduction is amazing, you'll never need a sub. :thumbup:

6. deluxe

deluxe Member

Easy- Just get some [RCA - XLR] or [RCA - 1/4" TRS] cables and a [3.5mm TRS - stereo RCA] converter.

7. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

QQ for those that have S2/S4s.... is there a setting somewhere that gives the pitch faders a good original/centre setting? IE, when I want to set the BPM to exactly the original, it's really fiddly to get it exact, and moving it a fraction of a mm will put the bpm off by 0.1. On my old MTP, it had a region in the middle where it gave you about 1-2mm of wiggle room in the middle of the slider where anywhere in that region and it would stay as the original bpm.

If that makes sense? Does such a setting exist for the S2/S4?

8. Paronga

Paronga Member

i'm heavily tempted by the S2.

can you guys recommend?
    is it possible to get it for cheaper than $500?
    i was hoping some people would buy them and then realise they weren't into them and sell them for around $400

9. Phorte

Phorte Member

yes that makes sense and no there isn't pitch fader click at 0 (like on the technics 1200 mk2's) on either S2 or S4.

10. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Not even a software/mapping tweak? Slightly annoying spending that extra 30 seconds trying to get exactly 128bpm instead of 128.02 or 127.98 etc :\

11. Phorte

Phorte Member

actually, yes - the S2 has a pitch reset button (labelled as "reset" just above the pitch faders). i can't remember what the S4 has there though... but i'm sure you can easily map something. that's obviously the beauty of midi controllers.

12. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea that's what i've been doing, get it close enough and then stab the reset button.... but it's not as elegant as having a mid stop :p

13. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Ahhh... Thanks. Such a simple elegant solution.

14. richard0296

richard0296 Member

Any of OCAUs djs play much drum n bass ? In particular liquid DNB ?
    Would love a few smooth mixes like netsky's essential mix..

On the subject of essential mixes, how fucking good was eats everything essential mix !

Saw the dude live in Bristol like 3 weeks back, probably a bit more actually more, and it was mental :thumbup:

15. Remote Man

Remote Man Member

The reason for no mid stop it because on the S4 you can shift the slider dynamically to get x2 the current range. But to reset to bang on +0.0 press both pitch range arrows above the slider at the same time. Which can work awesome for a moombahton -> house shift when you pitch down a house track that has a silent point just before the drop, reset in the drop rock out at ~130bpm

16. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

It's called a fader people, fader. :D

17. Remote Man

Remote Man Member

Thery're all just 1's & 0's in the end. :p

18. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Recorded this one week ago, http://mixes.djfez.com/mixes/7698/
    let me know what you think :)

19. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Just picked up my monitors and one of them has a very loud hum. Changing power cables, and input cables made no difference. Makes the hum with and without the input cable connected.

Any ideas of what it could be? Dud?

20. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah if it does it without any input source connected then its rooted. If you just got it from an Australian retailer just walk in and ask for a replacement.