OCAU DJ Thread

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Goose1981, Oct 12, 2006.

1. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

If you know what you are doing... Yes. If not, then it may not be worth it if all you are doing it beat matching 2 songs together.

2. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Thanks for the bit of feedback. I am a little confused though? You say the timing is too tight, then off a bit but too tight to sound a bit mechanical (ie no swing)?

Could I trouble you for giving me a time in the mix where you are hearing this, so I can hear what you are talking about. Until I know it, and can hear it for myself I wont be able to improve that aspect.

As for the song just starts and stops. Not sure what to do about that? I really hate schizophrenic DJing where the song chops and changes every minute rather than let the individual song develop.

Thanks. I really do want this kind of feedback.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Two trains going at the same speed, the same way, but one is a little behind the other.

Music goes 1 2 3 4.

the cue marker should be on the 1, the grid starts from the cue point. if the cue point is not *exactly* on the first beat the grid will be offset.

that's bad.

what makes it trickier is most stuff will get the BPM right but a lot of the time the first cue point is not spot on, causes the grid to be off- but still sound kinda right.

Frankly, It's something that I'm sensitive too so I wouldn't stress, take home message is set cues proper.

4. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Ahhh... That makes sense now. Thanks. While I was on the beat, I was on the wrong beat. I did put some effort into this, and I too can hear it, and I am pretty sure of some of the parts where this is happening. This was recorded live, so I do make errors and may have missed some cues slightly.

I still think the last half was pretty good. Especially now I have gone back to SoundCloud and Mixcrate and heard some absolutely woeful mixes.

5. Paronga

Paronga Member

my S2 is due for delivery in the next few days :3

i was out lat night at a big house party and saw someone using an S4, but only mixing 2 tracks.

Why get an S4 then?

6. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

As a generic tip, if you want to appreciate the mixing approach it with your ears. Don't be another one of those people who give a shit about the gear; it's a flooded market!

7. Paronga

Paronga Member

that's been my approach to music since the start.

I've only bought something i've liked the sound of.

which is rarely.

i have very little gear, and it's all hardware, no software.
    That is for my production things.

I haven't bought any equipment in a few years and i decided i needed to learn DJing. After hearing so many poor mixes i thought i'd give it my own shot.

very excited.
    My style is psychedelic chill :)

8. Remote Man

Remote Man Member

Maybe they got it before the S2 launched? Maybe they are still working on 4 deck/sample mixing? It's far harder than 2 deck and requires pre-planning or else you're bound to have a trainwreck of sound happen.

9. W0MB13

W0MB13 Member

I'm thinking of using my Audio Technica ATH-ES7s for a gig this weekend, as I don't have any "DJ" headphones, and I doubt the venue will have booth monitors.

I assume "DJ" headphones are mainly tuned for isolation/volume/adjust-ability?

Is this idea going to fail hard? :p

10. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

You'll be fine, if in doubt just leave one cup on and crank it.

11. magicsun

magicsun Member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  12. Paronga

Paronga Member

YAS

my S2 came.
    what a sex beast!

having heaps of fun with it.
    :3

13. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

14. Paronga

Paronga Member

ohkay. so Day 2 of playing with DJing.

Can anyone provide me with some basic ideas/goals of what i should be trying to do.

I get the main goal is to mix two songs (with maybe effects and samles) to get a good dancing mood. But i'm struggling with all my options and things on the controller.

Anyone give me a basic set of tips and things to think about so i don't feel heaps lost out here :D

15. Tosh1R

Tosh1R Member

what genre of music are you mixing?

16. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Don't be fuckin' with samples just yet mate.

My suggestion is to get some music of the same genre, so it will be sorta the same speed.

Really depends what you want to play.

17. W0MB13

W0MB13 Member

Played my first gig on the weekend, once I got it all going it was great, however I lost about 15 mins of my set as I'd returned back to my gear and nothing was working...

I'm using

Vestax VCI-100MK2
    NI Audio2DJ
    Generic Lenovo laptop + Traktor

Pretty sure the laptop is to blame...

Basically I had the controller running off external power, as this solved an issue I experienced at home where if the controller was unplugged, it wouldn't always come back again after replugging.

Didn't make a difference.

I got up on stage 5 mins or so before my set, my controller was not recognised by Traktor, and my laptop started throwing "USB device not recognised" errors. The Audio2DJ also seemed to have dropped out, and due to many unplug/replugs, Traktor seemed to have lost the audio routing settings.

Unfortunately due to being under pressure I started to panic, and didn't troubleshoot as well as I could have. In the end I had to reboot, replug everything a few times, and setup the audio routing settings in Traktor for my Audio2DJ again.

I can only assume at this point in time that the laptop is the cause of the issues, as I don't believe the USB ports are providing sufficient power (didn't think this would matter as the Audio2DJ has never dropped before, and the controller was externally powered this time).

Could generic/yumcha usb cables be the problem? :confused:

Naturally the exact situation I faced was not one that I had experienced in practice :lol:

Luckily once everything was working, I had a ton of fun, and it was a great experience.

18. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Great to hear man, sorry to hear about the gear trouble; i've had pretty good luck in my time but i like to think its because i'm pretty vigilant. my laptop is traktor only, and i have the most extreme case of gearanoia.

i triple check like everything, i've been known to double check while on a tram ffs.

long story short, don't be a dick and use a competent cable on everything and disable wifi :D

19. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

I must admit ive had the glitch here and there usiny my win 7 laptop (high end i7 mind you)

was embarrassing so i got a mac just for DJing, never missed a beat

20. dr1fta

dr1fta Member

played 'out' for the first time in a long time.

Was the local socialite families daughters birthday, $10k spent on the party:Paranoid:

anyway, was a rocking night actually. Played using my control vinyls for most of the night and really enjoyed it!

party finished at 4am so i ended up playing nearly 6 hours in the end.. still paying for it now