1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU DJ Thread

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Goose1981, Oct 12, 2006.

1. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

can we post our mixes? i picked it up again in the last few weeks and made another mix today, it came out well i thought. i find some tracks are always harder to mix in and out of but can mostly gloss over it. planning would help but i like to just start with a song then go from there.

where do y'all buy your music? i never liked beatport but audiojelly shut down for my tastes Junodownload is best but the prices change dynamically with the exchange rate (they're always in GBP) so it's become a bit expensive. i bought a bunch of releases the other day and it came to 160AUD.

did you install the drivers and firmware upgrades for the controller? without drivers my controller looks like it's detected and installed properly (shows up in VDJ and windows devices) but doesn't function correctly. let me know how you go with the DDJ-SB3, i'm wanting to upgrade but am hanging out for a good deal.

archie likes this.
  2. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I don't see why not... I'll have a listen as I'm sure many others will too. :)

JSmith

archie likes this.
  3. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

archie and JSmithDTV like this.
  4. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    JSmithDTV likes this.
  5. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I just installed the Pioneer drivers for my SX, sadly Serato gets crapper as the versions get released. As for purchasing tracks i get them from Bleakport, mainly during up to 50% off. Only mp3 though as lossless is a rip off. Also noticed that some tracks have a borked bpm. Purchased from Juno before.

6. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

John 00 Fleming is great, I saw him live back in 2009 at God's Kitchen along with Jes, Blank & Jones and Cosmic Gate. Blank & Jones used to be massive now they've all but disappeared heh.

edit: the Zol Trance are your mixes?

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  7. shino

shino Member

actually it was just a dodgy RCA cable that i swapped and it's working perfectly

8. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I've seen J00F multiple times, I told John that Melbourne needs a up close and personal dj set and we got it at Brown Alley. I soo miss bush doofs. Earthcore 2016 in Pyalong was one of the best experiences we've ever had, Astral Projection & Morten Granau were phenomenal. Following year was terrible, sadly our Police state has ruined things and we refuse to go to large cbd gigs. Hoping to go to O.Z.O.R.A in the near future. I went back in 2011 and experienced Transwave & Ace Ventura live.

Mmm

Yep they're my mixes. :weirdo:

9. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

cool, i'm listening to the mixes while gaming. the big events aren't great tbh but only having small events would preclude a lot of people who'd be genuinely interested. I did take a big hiatus from festivals but started going again recently. small gigs are the best provided it's a high quality intimate venue with an enthused crowd. in brisbane they were usually just lackluster cut down versions of large events in melbourne and sydney.
    Morten Granau is aight, i like "The Collective" with Phaxe (Phaxe is better). I really really wanna see Astral Projection, they're the only Psy Trance group i properly got into. Most of their stuff is over 20 years old but is still among the best psy.

i did want to check out a doof again sometime but haven't found anything good and i don't go on the ethnobotany forums anymore which used to have the details. I never got to go to those winter solstice ones in northern NSW. I think some of the doofs are partially responsible for their own decline, i went to earth frequency twice back when it was still at landcruiser mountain park (around 2010). the venue was quite far from any cellphone reception and there was no power so you never saw people with their phones out which was great. from what i read on the forums people were just taking weed, mushrooms, LSD and to a lesser extend mescaline. there was no police or medical presence in the festival and no issues, i was really impressed. the police were only drug testing drivers leaving the venue which is fair enough.

the second time i went there were dodgier people there, one dude was going around with a huge bag of pills (a few hundred) selling eccies. sooner or later that sort of stuff causes serious issues, especially with the distance to any medical care. I looked again a few years later and the venue was near ipswich, there were set camping lots with tiered pricing for cars and options for electricity. they also said that there'd be police searches at the gate and a presence inside the event, it just didn't sound like a doof anymore.

10. shino

shino Member

so you say serato is crapper by each version they release... 50% off at 99 atm for a serial atm

11. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I have a Ddj-sx so Sorato comes with it free, installed the latest version and I get occasional glitches when recording which I have to edit out. The i7 laptop I use is quite old but earlier versions worked fine.

12. shino

shino Member

I want to know the philosophy of music: if you typing out rhymthic beats and it's not timed but feels mainly does it make it noise as oppose to music?
    Most music is within a scale and rarely steps outside of surprising sounds? Is it okay to get tap out off key noise to make it make non- boring/un surprising?

13. archie

archie Member

Noob DJ question..

So this lockdown I finally started learning to DJ myself and watching YouTube mixes

I just want to play for me so no grand ambitions lol.

I'm using Traktor 3 with my S4 mk2 controller. Couple of tracks I've found the beat grid starts off perfect but then deviates more and more as the track goes on. How to adjust?

The BPM of the track is correct as per Beatport etc

14. XiTatiON

XiTatiON Member

You need to setup your beat markers and grid correctly, check out this guide -

archie likes this.
  15. archie

archie Member

thanks but I dont think this helps.

In the video he adjusts the marker to the first beat and then adjusts the BPM and all the others markers fall into place.
    My situation is, first beat has a correct marker and the BPM is correct but by around bar 32 the beat marker is a half a bar out and more as you go along the track
    I only see this on a handful of tracks so far

16. XiTatiON

XiTatiON Member

There should be a few other videos on how to handle tracks that have BPM drift on you tube, though I've found almost always in this scenario I was doing something wrong and it wasn't the track :)

That being said I'm sure it happens.

archie likes this.
  17. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Some tracks I've purchased seem to have dynamic bpm that goes up and down bpms, I generally try and loop the start or end with 4 or 8 bars of that track, or just do a very quick transition.

18. archie

archie Member

This is a really old track.
    For an angel Paul van Dyk e-werk remix as an example.
    138BPM by all records

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  19. archie

archie Member

Solved my issue by using another remix haha

20. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

You can always edit it and correct it in audio software like Ableton.