OCAU group project?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Aamdaron, Nov 2, 2003.

1. LINUX

LINUX Member

hmm, it seems that gcc and visual c++ are going to have too different a syntax. the good thing is that porting ASM code from one syntax to the other is relativly easy so that makes maintaining 2 code trees (linux/windows) relativly easy. doing this will be basically essential if we end up developing a modular program as the windows and linux ways of opening dll's/so's are totally different (plus the binary is totally different as well). i have looked into the module loading system calls before, a quick flip through the xmms source code should refresh my memory...

here's another congrats to Buzzard, i think we are getting to the stage (or probably will be in the next week or so) that a sourceforge account would be usefull as i believe it has a lot of organisational tools plus it has free web hosting. one thing that hasn't been raised yet though, i would very much like this to be completely open source (in fact, in order to get a sourceforge account it basically has to be).

2. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

Was thinking about this last night, and I also believe that going opensource is the right thing to do....

Pros
    • SourceFroge.net web and project hosting
    • Being able to use other peoples code, like CPUID, Zlib, JPEG, PNG, etc....
    • The right thing to do :)
    Cons
    • If the program has to be able to communicate to the DB (website), any one can look at the source and see how its done.

3. LINUX

LINUX Member

well, the bad thing isn't that they will know how it's done, it's more that they could fill the db with dud information. and at the same time, even if we had a closed source security module for db communication someone could still hack the benchmarking code to give themselves higher than possible results anyway.

4. OP
    OP
    Aamdaron

Aamdaron Member

would pgp be useful for something like this?

5. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

Why dont have the whole program opensource cept for the database part.

Just keep that closed. Maybe release a dummy database class which we will just comment out the parts which would let them know too much about the database.

Like we could just make that when a connection to the database is made a key is made for the connection based on the date or something.

That way someone can use the code if they want but they will not know how to generate the key for the database

6. MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

having the security module closed base could be a solutio, just the matter of how the linking is done
    if benchmark -> security -> net then obviously, someone without the security module cant upload, or even if they managed to upload something, uploading a human readable score to a decrypter(on the db) means nothing

:thumbup: for Buzzard

anyone bothered to think of a name for this project yet......?

7. LaRgO

LaRgO Member

Australian Stresser?
    Stressed?
    maXed

im bad at names but im working on the interface :p

8. MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

just made a "flowchart"
    doesn't look too great, but probably best i can do ;)
    [​IMG]

9. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

hmmm. maybe make the picture a bit bigger.

Stressed
    OCAUtion (only thing i oculd think of with ocau in it)
    NOCAUTION (ditto)
    CPUkiller

thats all i got. I suck

10. Bonkers

Bonkers Member

Well I've decided to lend my web server to you guys :D. To help out for the cause. I've just done a mock up page at www.themtgwarehouse.com/stress/index.html I can run anything you would like on there and it basically just acts as a stopgap until we get some real hosting (maybe by OCAU). Im fairly preoficient in PHP (as you can see from visiting www.themtgwarehouse.com) so I can easily add things as we go along and other people may be able to help as well :D. I can set up a FTP server later for people to upload stuff onto etc. Great project by the way, I hope the community can really get together and actually make something this time (unlike make a game which was a bit of a flop :p).

Good Luck, Bonkers

Last edited: Nov 11, 2003
  11. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

lol, you forgot to link the full size image :p I had the same idea on how the program should be structured, so congratulations :)

I'm guessing the C++ is going to be the primary language ? If so a free compiler is probably the way to go (so all the programmers don't need MSVC) The only free compilers that I know off are Borland's free command line compiler, GCC (DevC++ is a v.nice IDE), and lcc32 (but I haven't looked at that for a long time). IMO GCC (with DevC++) is the best way to go... Opinions ?

12. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

I have used gcc for C and liked it so yeah I reakon gcc is the go.

As for the design. Nice work. Only thing I can add is that there should be some sort of like key passed when the benchmark/stress object returns the result. That should put a key sort of thing on the value which is decrypted by the program code.

This way someone cannot just write there own stresstester class and send the program core what ever result it wants and by pass our other security.

This encryption in the stress/bench object should be blocked out from the open source part as well as the part in the porgram core

13. LINUX

LINUX Member

14. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

yeah i forgot i use gcc under linux as well. We will use cygwin

15. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

Please excuse my ignorance, but why do we need use cygwin ? (Please ignore this if your just talking about the cygwin version of gcc, rather than the whole cygwin environment)

16. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

im talking about the version. Didnt think gcc worked straight under windows?

17. LINUX

LINUX Member

well given M$ dev tools aren't available for linux we have a choice:

use gcc w/cygwin
    have 2 source trees
    don't have a linux port.

in my eyes #2 is the best comprimise, it just means a bit more work but once we have an algorithm porting is fairly easy.

18. OP
    OP
    Aamdaron

Aamdaron Member

bloodshed devc++ works without cygwin unless that gets installed with it

19. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

Dev-C++ uses the MinGW port of GCC, which appears to be a bit better (its also easier to obtain). I was just concerned when cygwin was metioned that you wanted to use the whole cygwin enviroment + tools, as opposed to just the compiler)

+1 Vote for DevC++ / MinGW :)

20. MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

i've only used Borland C++ builder and MSVC, not too sure on how to use the others =)

but reading on cygwin, it says it act as an linux emulation layer, but arent we having windows based program?

i think having 2 tree might be better