OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Had a big gap in regular playing too but for the last couple of years i've been at it almost every day.

Have spent a few days playing around with Bias + Jam Up on the iPad recently. Short of getting an Axe FX II, the combination of these 2 apps offers some pretty amazing emulation. I had to ditch the iRig piece of crap and get a decent input to get good results, but it's the most usable mobile emulation i've heard. I went for an Apogee Jam input. Here's what a few people are getting from the combined apps.

And for the metal heads

2. Boneman

Boneman Member

Dammit, got massive gas for this new Edwards model, wonder if I can convince my wife somehow :p -

[​IMG]

3. Stygian Shane

Stygian Shane Member

Black quilt maple looks fucking amazing, always.

Well - locked in the specifications for my Ormsby yesterday! Will cost me a pretty penny but it's going to be absolutely incredible.

7 string multiscale
    Tasmanian Myrtle body w/ Redwood Burl top
    Quilt maple fretboard, birdseye maple neck w/ ebony stripes, longways
    SC neck pickup and super-hot humbucker in the bridge (~22k!)
    Black hardware (locking tuners, push-pull coil split on tone knob)
    12th fret Ormsby 'Shark' inlay of red obsidian

I'll whack a mockup picture up when it's done, but it's going to be a beautiful guitar - anyone who has checked out Perry Ormsby's work knows he's an absolute fn master.

The top wood, though;

[​IMG] Mmmm. The whole guitar will be finished in a high-gloss lacquer. Can't wait!

4. break

break Member

Dicking around at home with tracking with some new tones I've been putting together.

Anyway.... listened to this song on the drive home and thought "that would make a perfect song to cover and track over"... so I did it...

Daryl Braithwaite - The Horses (with a rock twist)

Schecter SLS - Standard E
    Line6 HD500 - Four tone patches, two for clean sections, two for distorted.

Zero effort putting into cleaning up the transitions in the recording between clean/hard, nor the fade outs.... but fun none the less....

5. Boneman

Boneman Member

New toys arrived -

[​IMG]

6. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Oooh, they look great :)

Let us know how they sound. That combo is supposed to have a more dynamic sound than the 81/88 and similar combos, yeah?

7. Boneman

Boneman Member

I think they have a bit more headroom than the 81/85, but will still crush under high gain. Im quite happy with the Duncan Distortion and 59 Ive got now but just want a different flavour and for recording into an interface I feel actives give a more consistent tone.

8. Boneman

Boneman Member

Pups installed, so simple with the solderless system even I could do it. Bridge lead tone is much better and less ice picky than the DD, so really happy there. Loved the old 59n but this one keeps up with it so far. Would really recommend these to anyone who plays high gain stuff for sure. Oh and they match my hardware perfectly. Will try get a short soundbite done soon. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

9. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Damn, they look like they were made for it. Most actives compress everything too much for my liking (at least when I'm playing - I admit other people get some wicked sounds of them), so I look forward to hearing these.

Is the foam above the nut to stop stray harmonics between the nut and tuners?

10. break

break Member

Having owned a few EMG equipped guitars (both original 60/81 combo, and original 85/81 combo).... modding them with 18v as opposed to 9v makes a huge difference to the life of the tone (IMO)
    Seymour Duncan Blackouts on the other hand (what I tend to use more-so), don't have the 'ooomph' of the EMG's, but sound much more natural through the tone range IMO.

Have heard wonderful things about that new EMG range (even the X series was a huge step up from the originals IMO), so would be keen to hear a sound bite :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  11. Boneman

Boneman Member

Yep, not really necessary but can help at times.

I think the most important thing is finding the right pickups for your guitars wood and your style too, theres so much great stuff these days, its a good time to be an axeman. :)

Anyways I knocked up this short bit of riffage with a thrashy solo over the top, my ears are a bit dead so the mix is probably not the best but youll get the idea. I like how the rhythm guitars stay crunchy but without being too annoying to the ear, thats something the 81 and Distortion do a lot. The lead tone is very aggressive and cuts through nicely without being shrill, so I think for a bridge pickup the 57 is right up there with the best.

Heres the mixtest - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10842784/RHemg57test.mp3

EDIT - fresher strings,better pickup heights, same crappy bass pickups lol

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10842784/RHemg57riff1.mp3

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  12. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

titis me..........

13. slashrox

slashrox Member

Nice cover! Good to see you still have the Ibanez too :thumbup:

14. Boneman

Boneman Member

Iced Earth ftw :thumbup:

15. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

and pantera :D

its a little different now, gotoh bridge and duncan P rails.

16. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

one i did this morning/last night.........

17. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

Long time since I've posted getting back into playing after some time overseas, so I've sold most of my gear, I only kept my Maton 808. Still have most of my pedals though. So badly out of practice but coming along nicely. Taking the time to rework my mechanics. Looking at getting a superstrat (I'd prefer maple fretboard+jumbo frets Must have a Floyd though.)+ a small 5-15w amp

My Guitar shortlist is currently
    Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
    http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guita...ignature-sdx-rosewood-fingerboard-snow-white/

EVH striped series
    http://www.evhgear.com/en-AU/gear/subpage/?partno=5107902528

Charvel so-cal
    http://www.charvel.com/en-AU/guitars//search.php?partno=2967000576

I've had a play around with the Adrian Smith and the EVH striped and I can't really split them. The So-cal no-one seems to have them in stock. ANy thoughts?

For amp I'm looking at

Vox Nightrain is what I've tested so far quite like it, looking at a Orange Dark terror and a DSL15

Any other suggestions? Opinions?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  18. Boneman

Boneman Member

They all have the compound radius, so will feel the same, depends on what pickup config you want. If it was me id go the Charvel.

19. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

I have the EVH Stripe. It's a no frills rock/metal guitar that plays and sounds great. I'm an EVH fan boy, but if I wasn't, I would get the Charvel, it's more versatile due to pickup config, but would play almost identically. And they play great, the unfinished necks are brilliant and only get better with some time on them.

Like I say, EVH tragic. :D

[​IMG]

20. Boneman

Boneman Member

I dont see a 5150. :p