OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

It'll happen, the 2x12 combo will probably end up there.

2. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

Cheers mate, looks like you've made up my mind up for me. I am going after the vh1 version. I'm not a real big user of neck pickups anyway so it's just a waste.

Picked up a little ibanez valbee and it's a pretty interesting practice amp.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. break

break Member

So talk to be about leads people... what do you all recommend?

I've been running some fairly average leads that I've had for donkeys years, and I'm pretty certain they are the source of the incessant hum I get from my Line6 HD500.

Don't need huge lengths, just 5m would be fine (that's big enough to cope with any of the stages I've been on).

4. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

When I bought my gibson + mesa I decided it would be a travesty if I didn't invest in some decent leads as well. I got a 20' cloth covered dimarzio cable and it's been great.
    I've since bought a couple of 10' ones as well, they're great cables, sturdy as, but a bit stiff so you need to be pretty careful about your coiling/uncoiling

I've gigged all of them a lot over the last 3 years, not a hiccup.

5. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

Still have my tourtek cables. Seem to do the job and were cheap. Always hired a wireless transmitter though when I used to play with a band in live situation. Had a few very energetic bandmates who liked to run around a lot and trip over stuff

6. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

7. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

Not sure if allowed but was looking around for another amp but iconmusic is west ryde is selling Hiwatt T10 5w tube amps for 299 with free postage on ebay. Gonna go check it out on Thursday in store to demo

EDIT: Didn't get to iconic but went around to local to check it out. It's not bad at all. lots of gain. effects loop is nice, though it was pretty noisy lots of hum. Ended putting a Mesa mini rectifier on layby

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  8. Boneman

Boneman Member

9. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

10. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Haven't tried it, but can recommend ozbass forum classifieds for good s/h stuff:
    http://ozbassforum.com/viewforum.php?f=28

Also, we have a bass player thread in this section which might be worth posting in too... just in case :)
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=511651&page=67

11. Blackstar1099

Blackstar1099 Member

I actually work for JB. Those basses are pretty much what they're worth. Monterey are Australian apparently. Not the best quality. The one we have on display at our store in Sunshine is pretty much unplayable. The nut slots are cut too low. The 2nd fret is not sitting fully in it's slot so the first few notes on the low E choke. That being said, the one we had at the previous store I worked at was fine. It's ridiculously light. There's barely a finish on the neck. Maybe a light coat of sealer.

If you want one, go to a store and check it out before buying it.

12. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Yeah i might have to check out what they have

The only reason I thought about it is because i have a $100 voucher burning in my pocket and the only other thing I would buy is more games :)

Its just to muck around on

13. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

does anyone here have any experience with gibson melody makers? I know that they've been around since the dawn of time but how do they actually play? I'm a little bit concerned about how well it intonates because of the bridge layout and setup. the one i'm looking at has always had 9's on it but it feels like spaghetti, if i were to buy i'd probably chuck 11's on it

14. Boneman

Boneman Member

You can intonate at each end, then hope for the best in the middle, or use a different string. Out of interest, what will you be using this guitar for mostly ?

15. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

hmm, i may pass on it then. I don't really have any particular use for it, just seemed kinda cool. Just seemed like a nice variation to what i already have. I have my fernades revolver back and i'm waiting on my san dimas, currently using a mim fat strat on loan from a mate, everything i seem to have is some sort of fat strat with a trem. So i thought hey why not have a proper gibson for something different. But i never really enjoyed my time with an epi g400 until I put 11's on it simply cos of the lack of string tension on the shorter scale.

16. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Love my lawsuit MMs, great fun and very light with a skinny neck, so perfect for those who find some guitars a bit beefy. Apparently the real Gibson reissues sound a bit bleh though. The pre-set wraparound bridge means you don't have much by way of intonation options but you could always swap in another. Mine are back home at the moment but I think I have 12s on in C.

17. BLuFFaLo

BLuFFaLo Member

The shorter scale and tension is why i hate playing my les Paul reborn... It's so cool and i want to love it but i find it impossible to play. If you noticed that, and many people don't, I'd say pretty much no shorter scale guitar is for you.

Which sucks because it's similar to being left handed, wipes out half the options on cool guitars.

As a way out there suggestion, look at the prs mushok. It's not a superstrat at all, and with 27.7 scale it's gonna have tension :)

18. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

I passed on it, too many highly little things I didn't like. I may just get a tele in stead Jim root tele looks interesting.

19. break

break Member

Another guitar cover.... as much as I hated Avenged Sevenfold for a long time, their latest album has some fantastic guitar work and horribly catchy riffs.

20. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

Good job. I am glad you like the new album, I absolutely hated it, too catchy and simple compared to their previous stuff.