OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

If this is for actual practice or will you cart it around places and need some volume? A DSL40 will be stupidly loud and melt your face. Fireblade nailed it with something like a HT1 or HT5, otherwise consider some solid state modelling amps.

2. ndt

ndt Member

Thats how I feel watching tosin abasi play his 8 string like its a 6.

3. FireOath

FireOath Member

Other option would be a little Micro/Tiny Terror. They are fun to play around with. I do also like the HT1/HT5.

4. Radley

Radley Member

Cheers guys I'll look at the Blackstars. I thought the Tiny Terror was a mini head?? I'll have a look at that too.

5. Radley

Radley Member

Well I bought a house and had final inspection today, and the owner left me his Fender Princeton Chorus as a little surprise!

Don't know much about it, but I'm pretty stoked as it'll be great for what I need.

6. clinic

clinic Member

I have a HT-1H as a secondary amp, through a single celestion 10" cab and I absolutely love it, much more versatile than could have ever imagined. Does some amazing 80s hard rock and metal tones (think: AC/DC, randy rhodes). Doesn't do modern high gain though, but I have a Laney rackmount head for that :)

7. ndt

ndt Member

Dunno if anyone listens to monuments.

John Browne's picking hand looks crazy in this @ 0:42 secs

8. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

9. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

In other news, just picked up a Vox Tonelab LE for $150, including a custom made case. A much older model, the reviews are pretty spot on - low gain sounds are nice, high gain leaves something to be desired.

Doesn't matter, I got it for the effects and the switchable insert for other pedals, hence the Blackstar will be used primarily for dirt duties, although I do like the 90's Marshall and Boutique (clean and dirty Dumble) amp models. The Soldano and Dual Rectifier models are too dull and muddy for my tastes.

Unsurprisingly, the Vox AC models are also pretty good, and there is an Eruption patch that nails that particular song.

[​IMG]

10. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Been a few years between drinks, but I think it's time for another episode of Spootmonkey's Strange Guitars of Old Japan.

Behold, the 1964 Teisco TG-64:

[​IMG]

Clearly skimped on the name and saved the originality for the design. I think I want one.

11. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

It's a weird one. It's got the monkey grip in the wrong spot though.

12. Perko

Perko Member

Love it. What's it sound like? Edit: re-read - you want one. I think you should buy one!
    I'm looking at a couple of Navigator LPs and a 335 at the moment, with my track record of getting cold feet just before the deal is sealed, I will likely end up with none of the above. GAS has no hold on me!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  13. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

Just bought one of these, really having fun with it.
    [​IMG]

14. GarethB

GarethB Member

If people are interested, Boss have just launched a new series of modelling amps, under the name "Katana" that look interesting.

Three combos (50 watt 1x12, 100 watt 1x12, 100 watt 2x12), one head (100 watts). All of them have 5 different modeled amp types to choose from, four electric amp models, one amp model specifically for acoustic guitars. The head has a built in 5 inch speaker that can run at 30 watts without a speaker cab for practice/recording. All of them have reduced power settings (full power, half power, 0.5 watts).

The pricing on them is jawdropping, assuming they sound decent. The 50 watt combo is Au$400, the 100 watt 1x12 combo and the head are both $600. The 2x12 combo is Au$800.

I've been seriously looking around for a new compact amp that can run at low power or silently. I'd narrowed it down to the Yamaha THR-100 head or one of the Peavey mini heads (Classic or Valveking, the 6505 really isn't my thing) but now I'll wait and see what the Katana head is like (being $200+ cheaper than either the Yamaha and the Peaveys I was considering doesn't hurt either).

15. Perko

Perko Member

I have a friend with a Line 6 Helix that is excited for the Katana, sounds very interesting.

The GAS got me good in the end. Looking at the pickup serials, it should be around a 79-80 model. I'll get some more pics when it gets here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. GarethB

GarethB Member

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the Katana head. I picked it up earlier today. So far I'm liking it. The head doesn't come with any accessories, just the head itself, a power cable and a basic multi-language printed manual. Based on what's printed on the box the head comes in, they're being built in Malaysia.

I'm in an apartment these days and my combo amp (Peavey classic 30) is just too loud to stay on good terms with the people in the other apartments, so an amp that can sound reasonable at low power has been on my "to do" list for a while. Plus I also have a Roland GR-55 guitar synth that I've been running into the aux-in on a small bass amp or using with headphones. Now I'll be able to put everything through a single amp with regular guitar tones handled by the head's preamp and the GR-55 sounds bypassing the preamp and feeding into the power amp stage via the amp's aux-in.

17. Malakai

Malakai Member

Good choice, I've seen some great videos demonstrating those Boss Katana amps lately and they certainly seem like an excellent bit of kit.

18. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Saw The Aristocrats last night. Holy shit, what an inspiring show full of humour, melodies, tones & rhythms. It's inspiring on one hand, but makes you want to burn your guitar at the same time.

19. GarethB

GarethB Member

It has some features that I haven't seen mentioned in the various demo vids.

The head comes with a standard 5 pin MIDI IN port, meaning it can receive midi control messages. That should work nicely with my guitar synth. I don't think the other models in the current lineup have a MIDI port.

All of the katana models have USB and can be used as a recording interface (there is a dedicated USB driver available as a download from Boss). In the printed manual there is a 'block diagram' showing the internal audio routing, and the USB port can send a stereo dry/wet signal from the amp via USB, meaning the dry/unprocessed guitar tone can be recorded along side the processed tone, then the dry tone can be sent back into the amp for re-amping later.

There is a real limit to how much of the internal parameters you can get to from the amp's built in controls. If you want to tweak the settings to a fine degree, you need to download and install an editor program called Boss Tone Studio. I tried to install it on the weekend, but no matter what I did, it would not install. The installer ran, exited and then nothing. No error messages, no indication that any new software had been installed.

I made sure I downloaded the installer from an official Boss web link specific to the katana head and have run filesystem searches for files/folders created/modified for the time when I ran the installer, but I can't find any sign that anything was actually installed. I tried re-downloading the installer and running it with the firewall turned off, same result.

I've sent an email about this to support at Roland/Boss Aust, now I'm waiting to hear back from them. At a guess, maybe the download link for the installer is pointing to the wrong file. Then again, it could be some setting on my PC that's causing the problem, but with no error alerts, I have no way to know what it might be.

The Tone Studio software also lets you download pre-made tone patches from a Boss website, and allows you to download and change which effects are installed in the amp, but until I can get the software installed all of that is out of reach right now.

20. ndt

ndt Member

Heres something interesting. PRS just started selling a baritone guitar thats only a 25.5 scale.

http://www.prsguitars.com/tremonti_baritone/

Whats your take? I've alway been of the mind a baritone guitar is at least 26 inch scale. Interesting this guitar is the same scale as the Mark Holcomb SE but PRS don't call that a baritone.