OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

PRS has been making a 25" 7-String for a few years, which is essentially baritone with a high E. Likewise Ibanez 7-strings are usually 25.5" and they've been making them for aaaaages.

Do I think longer scale is better for baritone, especially if tuned below B? Definitely.

2. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

Has anyone watched troy grady Cracking the Code on youtube? Its a bit of a wank and he carries on with his story way to much but at the same time there is some gold in it and just an hour or so focusing on some of his main points a can hear and feel the difference ( dont have the speed yet as it requires changes in hand positioning) . Watching michael angelo batio in ep 12 i have a respect for the man i never did before!

3. Perko

Perko Member

So I've had my NGD, the pickup serials lead me to conclude that it's a 1979 LPS-100, it has the 100 stamped on the back of the headstock, and the pickups were manufactured in September '78. They were still manufacturing the LC series at Kasuga prior to '79.

I don't really know how to explain it without triggering Gibson people, so I'll just say, that I have played a lot of Les Pauls of many brands, (mostly Gibsons, Epiphones and ESP Standard Series Eclipses; but also PRS Single Cuts, Grecos, new Tokais etc), and this is either a freak, or an indication that the Navigators really are all they're cracked up to be, (and priced to be, I guess).

The finish is off the show, and has aged as you would expect, the neck is fairly fat, when I compare it to my mate's Les Paul Custom, without being one of those 335's with half a tree trunk hanging off the body, and it's pretty heavy. But the pickups are beyond anything I expected, they are meant to be Maxons, but a few people on the MLP forums have questioned that because of the S stamped on the back. I'm not a Japanese pickup historian, but I do know that they are absolutely perfect for this guitar. I have the original covers, and really want them on, I just hope that they don't screw up the sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better throw in a potato quality shot of the rest of the crew:

[​IMG]

4. ndt

ndt Member

picked up a yamaha thr10x yesterday. Pretty impressed by this little amp. Good metal tone, speakers don't sound boxy at all, good little thump to them actually.

pretty easy to use out of the box, still yet to try out the PC interface part.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  5. alexb618

alexb618 Member

i really like the non gibson LPs, hopefully some day the planets align and a nice greco or something with a bolt on neck comes up when i have some spare cash

my NGD a few weeks ago was a baja tele, no pics. nice big baseball bat neck like on most acoustics, plays brilliantly as expected!

6. Perko

Perko Member

No pics?! :p
    Sounds good, I love Teles. The jangliness of strats doesn't do it for me. I can get an out of phase sound out of the V with the coil tap, that runs the neck pickup on the hum cancelling side.

The guy I bought the Navigator off found an 81 Tokai LS-200 with a massive flame top on it. It's the best looking LP I've ever seen. If you find a good, early 80's Greco, Navigator, or Tokai, they should be at least on par with an R8 or R9. The only problem is that the really good ones will probably be no cheaper.

7. GarethB

GarethB Member

An update on my Boss Katana head, specifically why the editor program from Boss wouldn't install. I did get a response back from Roland/Boss Australia Support, but it didn't help (not their fault IMO).

The Boss editor program (Boss Tone Studio) needs Adobe Air for it to install and run. The first time I tried to install the Boss editor program, I was prompted to allow Adobe Air to be installed and I allowed it, but it looks like Air did not install properly (I never received any error notification). Every attempt to install the editor program after that never prompted me about Adobe Air, I just got a generic progress bar while the editor installer ran and then nothing.

After searching for info about other people having trouble installing the same software, I saw multiple references to installing Adobe Air directly from the Adobe web site as a solution for installing the editor software, so I gave that a go. Great Success!!! The editor installed properly this time and appears to run ok.

The Boss editor installer tries to install Adobe Air but may not be successful in every case. Installing Adobe Air separately then running the Boss installer appears to get the Boss editor to install properly.

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

I hope I can pop in here to ask a question....

If you buy a (not el cheapo) guitar and amp at a shop, what sort of "deal" (if any) can you reasonably ask for/get? Is there usual "stuff" they'll throw in, some strings or something?

9. GarethB

GarethB Member

The vast majority of pre-defined packages (guitar, amp and some accessories) are aimed at the entry/beginner level. Someone wants to start playing an instrument but doesn't have any gear, the packages are aimed at providing a basic version of all the essential pieces of gear the buyer needs to get started with. Most of the major instrument brands have pre-defined packages intended for beginners.

People who are buying at the mid to upper price range are rarely beginners, they are normally people who started out with beginner level gear and are upgrading. They generally don't upgrade everything at the same time. They might go for a better amp first, and a while later get a better guitar, etc. Because of this, there really isn't much of a market for pre-defined complete packages above the beginner price level.

Above the beginner price level, you'll need to negotiate your own package deal. Stores will definitely be prepared to negotiate a package with you, they don't stay in business by not selling stuff to customers, but because pre-defined packages are fairly rare above the typical beginner price level, it's difficult to say what items you should expect to get at a specific price. You'll need to tell the store what items you want in the package and see if they can do it at a price you're ok with.

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

All I want is the guitar and the amp, just wondering what sort of "stuff" you might reasonably expect to get "thrown in" (if anything). What sort of margin is there to negotiate? (I know what they usually stick on cars, but not guitars and stuff)

11. ex4n

ex4n Member

When I bought my first acoustic which was ~$250 I got a ~$90 soft guitar bag chucked in and some picks. I was able to get about $200 knocked off a $800 bass at the store when buying new, just straight up bought the bass no accessories. You could try to get included things like straps, cables, tuner, capo, picks or professional setup if it needs it, or get them to agree to chuck something in then see if you can also get them to move on the price too. Most of my other stuff I bought second hand so I can't comment too much there.

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks ex4n, that gives a bit of an idea.

13. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Hey Everyone,

So I sold my Vypyr 60W amp because it was too big\loud for what I really needed :)

Im looking for someone that has a similar modeler type setup, but only needs to be used with headphones

What software\hardware does everyone recommend ?

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

I know nothing about amps, I've only just recently bought an electric guitar and amp.

I bought a Katana 50 on the suggestion of the guy at the shop. It has downloadable "stuff" and software to save settings and "stuff". You can choose it to be power 0.5W, 25W or 50W.

I can't recommend it because I don't know anything (yet!) but it might be worth looking at, I believe it ticks your boxes.

15. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

If I was in that situation i'd probably go for Cockos Reaper
    (or your current DAW of choice) with Bias Desktop by Positive Grid and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with some decent cans.

The biggest problem for me when I use these things that have a gazillion sounds in them is that I waste too much time going from sound to sound. When i'm in my amp, I just play.

16. alexb618

alexb618 Member

have a look at the yamaha thr10 or thr5

comes with cubase and some other software so you can save and load settings too

17. Boneman

Boneman Member

18. ndt

ndt Member

Anyone recall the famous guitarist that played a Yamaha SG goldtop with a brass sustain plate on the back of the headstock? I remember seeing a video where he talked about the guitar and did some soloing but that was like 10 years ago and I'm trying to remember who he was.

Damn thats sucks, I watched a couple of videos of him a few months ago.

19. atmo

atmo Member

I've decided to give my '12 American standard strat a HH conversion, tuxedo color scheme with Duncan Custom 5 and Pearly Gates neck pickups.

[​IMG]

The only thing I'm undecided on is whether to wire it up Vol Vol Tone or Vol Tone Tone. Thoughts?

20. atmo

atmo Member

Pickup change complete...

[​IMG]

I went with a vol-vol-tone configuration so I can blend between the neck and bridge pickup in the middle position.

My initial impression is the Pearly Gates in the neck is really nice, seems just a little brighter than a 59 which is one of my favorite neck pickups.

The Custom 5 is a little disappointing for the main styles that I play (rock/punk/grunge), as the notes/harmonics from the individual strings seem to get mushed together. For high gain power chords and heavy chugging riffs it's great though. I'll live with it for a while but it may eventually get swapped out for a JB or similar.