OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Boneman

Boneman Member

Try putting a ceramic magnet in there first.

2. negatron

negatron Member

I've been offered to trade my tired and road worn Martin 000-16gt for a tired old Japanese Stratocaster, its a crafted in japan ? 2006 model.

my martin was abused by its previous owner, who foolishly scalloped the fretboard slightly :)wired:)

and the potential trade strat has some dings, all the metal parts are tarnished and needed a decent setup.

I don't really play electric but wouldn't mind having something decent in case i do one day.

would you make the trade?

p.s. I have a bunch of other acoustics and an archtop so not like i'm short of stuff to play lol

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

Is it decent? I'd probably want some more of an indication as to the respective values of each before deciding. How does the scalloping affect the play on the Martin? Is it a major problem? If there's something really "wrong" with it, then I'd be more inclined to go for it, but I wouldn't swap it for something that's truly crapola quality. Have you got a guitar dealer/shop who could give you some advice about the respective values?

4. negatron

negatron Member

Heya broc,

A Martin 000-16gt in mint condition would be worth around the 1200-1400 mark based on my research.

Having said that, mine has a worn back. The scalloped fretboard, and in honesty has a neck angle that is mighty steep and it would probably be a few years away from a neck reset.

As it is, it's been set up sufficiently that it plays well enough with a low action.

If someone gave me 800-900 bucks for it I'd probably cut my losses now given I have other guitars to play.

As for that jap strat. Ebay tells me they range from 700 - 1k , but I don't know enough about strats or electrics to know where in the spectrum it belongs...and it's my usual shop that's offering me the trade so there goes objectivity for them maybe? Lol

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, they're in business so they'd expect to get something out of the deal. That doesn't mean they are trying to rip you off, maybe they can do "stuff" on your martin to correct the "defects" and then sell it for a higher value than it's worth now. Maybe their "fixer" just wants to bring it back to its former glory. Have they offered a reason for offering the deal?

Threshold question I'd be asking is whether you think you'll ever want to "go electric". If it'll sit in its case, there's no reason to do it, IMO. Have you had a fiddle with it? Do you like the feel of it?

Just my gut reaction would be to get the setup as part of the deal, if you wanted to go with it. And I'd want an independent opinion as to value before I did it. All I know from looking in shops and on gumtree/etc is that a guitar can look exactly the same as another, yet one is worth $100 and another several thousand. If you don't know what is what, I'd want to consult somebody who does (or have the shop give you something in writing as to its value so you can "undo" things if they've told you porkies)

tldr: I've no idea, and I'm of absolutely no help :lol:

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Looking for a jamming partner near 4113. Start with a once a week/month session.

Keen to get back into some basic 12 bar blues sessions and build complexity:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqDla37gml0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLs4fuVapr0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqWl2Zxs2es

That is we take turns finger picking/plectrum the rhythm the other takes the lead for 12 bars and swap back and forth, etc, etc............

Must be 'relaxed' about it and keen to just have some fun.

P.s. I haven't played for about 10 years but the stuff above was my 'basis' and I have played for 20-30years.

I have a Maton (fat boy acoustic sound) and a classical (needs head work).

Post in thread or PM me if keen - ole school blues sessions.

Late Edit: Seriously just want to find someone to do some 'Lazy Blues'.........nothing.....no bites.......

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Mark Knopfler on Guitars:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg

Some solid stuff there especially with the thumb and the technicality.

Frankly this is one of the best lessons I have seen.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  8. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's reassuring to hear him saying he just practised his one chord over and over. I tend to think that the good players just popped out able to play and there's something wrong with me and I "can't", but if it was practice that did it for them, I should keep practising too.

9. ndt

ndt Member

So I just picked up a Randall RD50 head. On paper, I liked it cause its small and quite versatile in that it can take almost any power tube and without needing to be rebiased. But, I'm not really digging the tone at the moment, its kinda flubby, unfocused and grainy. Currently it has EL34s in it, i'm looking to try tighten it up a bit. What power tubes would you suggest? 6l6s?

Its compatible with 6CA7, 6L6, 5881, 6550, KT88, KT77, and 6V6 tubes

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  10. atmo

atmo Member

How loud are you playing?

If the power tubes are working hard then changing from EL34's to 6L6's might be worth a shot, but if you're playing at home at lowish volumes it's unlikely you'd notice much difference.

More info here: http://mesaboogie.com/amplitudes/20...eel-the-power-of-your-amps-power-section.html

If you don't already have one, consider an EQ and/or a boost pedal, preferably with adjustable bass & treble controls.

I'd use something like a Spark, Timmy or similar to cut some of the low end before it hits the preamp. That should give it a bit more mid focus and remove the flubbyness.

An EQ before the amp can also work, but I prefer to run an additional EQ in the effects loop (if the amp has one) for fine tuning.

11. Boneman

Boneman Member

Tubescreamer set as a clean boost will solve 90% of your flubbiness problems.

12. ndt

ndt Member

yeah, dug up my old maxon 808 last night and that tightened things up a bit. Was hoping to get away with not using one. :thumbup:

13. GarethB

GarethB Member

I just saw a vid for a new modelling amp from Chinese company Joyo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ltmCo_lHsU

The vid was recorded at a music trade expo in China with a lot of background noise.

The amp was designed in Germany, it's being built in China. Not a lot of technical info in the vid, but apparently the audio circuits are all analog with some sort of internal modular design that lets you choose between specific circuit types in the preamp and power amp stages with an app (in the vid one of the presenters is using a smart phone so built in Bluetooth maybe) to get a particular sound.

The vid also mentioned real valves in the amp and you can swap the power amp valves for different types (EL34, EL84, 6L6, 5881, etc). The way it was described in the vid, there is only one set of valves in the amp but you can replace them with other valves.

Expected street price is US$1500, but it wasn't clear if that was for just the head or with a speaker cab.

Yamaha have something similar, the THR100, but the THR100 uses digital emulation with separately selectable preamp and power amp models. The 2 channel version, the THR100HD sells for around Au$900 at the moment.

14. ndt

ndt Member

$1500us seems abit steep so would hope that includes the cab. You can get a Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister for cheaper.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  15. atmo

atmo Member

Looks like that's the price for the head alone, currently listed at €1,545 here: https://www.thomann.de/gb/joyo_klonz.htm

It's a novel idea, but I can't imagine who their target market might be.

16. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Except for consumables, I haven't bought any new guitar stuff for ages. I recently sold my Blackstar HT-Dual pedal as I wasn't using it and picked up a Friedman BE-OD. It's designed by Dave Friedman to be as close to his Brown Eye 100 head as he could get in a pedal. The Brown Eye is a fucking monster and BE-OD is equally great. Very impressive OD/distortion pedal. Here's Pete Thorn's demo

17. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

That pedal is on my "To Build" list.

18. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Damn awesome guitarist but that 'lazy eye'........

19. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Best gear demo channel on the net, Pete has played with a bunch of great musos over his time. He was Chris cornells touring guitarist when he out of sound garden.

20. Radley

Radley Member

Sounds great. I've really got to sell my Zoom G5 and move to individual pedals but I'm only a bedroom warrior and I'm not hugely fussed.

I've decided that I need a Les Paul as I've been dying to get one for at least 15 years, so I've set myself a goal of buying a 2017 Gibson Les Paul Standard, or if I can find a good second hand one with 60's neck I'd be keen on that too.
    And yes I don't care about the other brands that make LP style guitars, or other so called better guitars at a similar price.