OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

Is it bad form to ask what colour you'd like?

2. Radley

Radley Member

Either heritage or light cherry burst or white with black binding/gold hardware.

3. atmo

atmo Member

New toys...

[​IMG]

The plan is to use the midi features in the ES-8 to control the Mobius, DD500 and switching for the JVM410H.

4. alexb618

alexb618 Member

very nice! you seem like quite an advanced player...

we should have a pedalboard thread

5. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Just don't buy one without playing it for a bit. They would have to be the most inconsistent guitars on the planet.

6. Radley

Radley Member

Care to expand? I'm aware of the different neck shapes, but they shouldn't change much between the models (studio, trad, standard etc) for each year.

There's no way I'd order one online, but unfortunately I'm in Coffs and there's no good guitar shops here so I have to go to Melbourne or Sydney. I'll probably just bite the bullet and fly to Melbourne to go to Gallins since they're the importers.

7. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

You can play 5 LP Standards off the same rack and 4 of them aren't that great.

8. Boneman

Boneman Member

And the 5th one will have some kind of fretwork issue. :p

9. Radley

Radley Member

Strange considering the frets are levelled by some crazy machine on the standards...

I've got a big feeling there's a lot of hate towards Gibsons from people that haven't played many.

10. Boneman

Boneman Member

PLEK machines are still at the mercy of their operators. ;) Gibson is a tradition for sure, but its not the same company who made the classics like Greeny.

Ive played many Gibbies in store, but ESP fretwork on Navigators and even the Edwards LPs is much more consistent.

11. Radley

Radley Member

I would argue that even the quality of some of the Korean guitars coming out these days (PRS SE, Champan, LTD and many others) are fantastic quality given the price. It all comes down to feel though. Some people go mad for the '59 necks but they're too fat for me. I was playing a Les Paul back in 2002 and it was just incredible, but I have no idea what model or year it was!
    I don't believe the fucking glue has an effect on the tone though, or the paint. Some people are just mad.
    Isn't the bridge on backwards?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  12. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Korean and Indonesian made guitars are fantastic bang for the buck.

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

Don't you always need to have a "fiddle" setup done after you buy a new quitar? The shop I bought from includes that initial setup with the purchase (do they all do that?). How can you assess the quality/whether there's something wrong or "not good" as opposed to it needing to be fiddled with?

tldr: what's the diff between a "bad" instrument and one that needs proper setup?

14. Perko

Perko Member

Yeah, those photos were taken before I did anything with it. It's in getting fret dressed at the moment, whoever had it previously to the guy who I bought it off pretty much just played open chords on it, the nitro's worn off behind the first to third fret, and the fret wear was inconsistent. Usual old guitar stuff. Adds to the character and feel, as they say.

The PLEK manufacturers have some... Grievances with Gibson on this. They also changed the way that they do their fret nibs quite a while ago, that often leaves a noticeable gap between the end of the fret and the nib, as well as often making them just look at bit ratty.

I've found the opposite, people who haven't played many, (or any), Gibsons are their most ardent defenders in my circles. I've played dozens, probably approaching 100, and I would certainly never buy one new, although I always have an eye out for a decent second hand SG or 335. The best ones that I've played from a construction and finish POV have all been SGs, the only really decent LPs have been approaching the same age as my Navigator. It isn't a matter of "so-called" better guitars, people were always going to start looking further afield with the QA and production decisions that Gibson have made over the last 15-20 years. Not to mention things out of their control, such as having the EPA and others up their arse over wood species and imports that can give builders in other countries a competitive advantage.

If you go to a shop, they would be mad to not have them set up perfectly on display, and if they said "I'll grab a boxed up one from out the back" that you hadn't played, you'd be mad for accepting.

Online used trading is ok once you get into the higher end gear, because if you shop wisely, and don't be scared to bargain reasonably hard, you're not going to lose a lot on resale in the quest for "the one". You only really get rekt when you buy new and sell second hand if you don't like it.

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

They might, but when there are hundreds and all sorts of customers can mess with them, wouldn't that be impracticable? Anyway, I suppose experience musos have a better chance of recognising the wheat from chaff than I do, I'm just interested in learning as much as I can.

16. Perko

Perko Member

Most decent places have a dedicated in house tech who pretty much does customer set ups and repairs for extra jam, and then spends most of the rest of their time maintaining the stock.

I guess the thing is that if there's doubt, you're better off skipping it. Even if it's just a bad set up. As you become more experienced, you'll know when a guitar is suffering from it, there's not a hell of a lot to it, and it does pay to learn how to do a reasonable set up yourself for that reason, and to be able to do basic maintenance yourself.

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

All I know is whether something sounds nice or sounds horrible. That's about it. :lol:
    When I took my new guitar in for a "fiddle", I watched the store guy doing it and he explained what he was doing and why. Unfortunately it went in one ear and out the other, but it wouldn't be hard to refresh my memory. At my level of "non-expertise", I think I'm better off letting the fellow who knows what he's doing fiddle with my "baby" (the expensive one, anyway). Maybe I'll get some crapola cheapie secondhand and fiddle with that. I can feel my inherent shopoholicism kicking in and I can see myself with a collection of guitars. :sick::tired: (I need saving from myself)

18. Perko

Perko Member

Yep, that's completely fine, and most do the same. I just mean that if you read up and look at your own guitars with a critical eye with that info, you'll be armed with more knowledge if and when you're looking at gear in the future. It can be pretty crazy how much a guitar can improve with a good setup, or be a real bastard when something goes out of kilter.

19. Radley

Radley Member

Well there's instruments that have frets that aren't leveled, strings that don't intonate, poor electronics or are just shitty in general.

Most places I've had the pleasure of dealing with will not even touch the guitars out of the box, and will reluctantly give you a free set of strings when you buy a guitar.
    From my experience it's rare to actually have a guitar properly set up but there are a few places. Funnily enough my BC Rich probably came the best set up, followed by my RG.

A mate of mine bought an LP supreme a few years ago and it was most definitely not set up well. Action is far too high and strings are too heavy. It plays like a dog but he just uses it as a decoration anyway......

I've pulled all of mine apart, except for my 7 string, and upgraded pickups or hardware and put them back together. Now I have no issues setting them up and replacing anything and it's actually really easy. I have an Epiphone SG and I realised that the body is actually made of plywood (it was my first guitar....), so I'm planning on building a new body for it. I've already upgraded tuners, bridge, tailpiece, pickups (Invader for bridge, Slash for neck) so why not do the body?!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  20. broccoli

broccoli Member

oh, so no after-sale setup? I thought it was pretty standard. Guess I'm just lucky.
    Does everyone agree on what that is, or is there some opinion going in from the luthier? I know there are some numbers on the specifications of mine that you are supposed to follow.