OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Blackstar1099

Blackstar1099 Member

In case you've been living under a rock for the past few days:

2. Perko

Perko Member

Have you tried the Helix?

3. hello people

hello people Member

When I see people playing these kinds of things it always makes me think of freak shows in the circus...not the people, but the guitars. It's horrifying but you can't look away....kind of.

4. Perko

Perko Member

I'm wondering what speakers he's running in that amp. Probably need a re-cone soon with the bass frequencies blaring through it.

5. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

How is the Tumnus? I'm >< that close to getting one.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

In the end it was all looks - nothing decent came out of it..........it's like building a 36 cylinder car that sounds like crap, has poor timing and runs like shit.

7. Perko

Perko Member

Has anyone here had any experience with EL84 based Mesa stuff? Thinking the F series, Studio .22 etc.
    I'm toying with the idea of downsizing to a lower wattage 2x12, or a 1x12 and keep the cab. I'm also after something more transparent than the EL34 based monsters that I've always had so that I can run BiasFX straight in the front with better results. So Fenderish, but with mod cons such as reliability and lower break up volume.
    My loose list is currently Vox AC30, Fender Super Champ XD or similar, and Mesa F30 or Studio .22. I've never used the 5W sized 6V6 stuff either.

8. ndt

ndt Member

Nah havent yet but not sure if I'll get one. I've had the pod 2.0, a flextone 2 combo and also the HD500 but to me they all sort of had the same fizzy tone to them that I couldn't get rid of.
    I actually picked up an axe FX ultra for a good price a few weeks ago and have to say......I'm not impressed. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, but I also have an eleven rack which I think sounds better and is 1/3 the going price of an axe FX ultra.

9. Perko

Perko Member

Yeah I find the dynamic response is just not quite right with the AxeFX. I haven't used Kemper etc so no idea there.

I've shared your experience with the older Line6 stuff, and most solid state amps in general, with the exception of the old Peavey TransTubes to a certain extent, but I've found the Helix to be a lot better than pretty much anything other than a full blood tube amp so far. I've only spent a couple of hours total on my mate's, but I reckon in a live setting, you'd be hard pressed to find something that is the whole package like the Helix is without running a rack etc. You can easily get away with just that and your guitar in most setups with a decent PA, and run anything you want as a monitor.

10. Boneman

Boneman Member

The new Helix update with the Friedman Brown Eye is insane, pairs so well with Ownhammer cabs.

11. Blackstar1099

Blackstar1099 Member

I've owned an original POD, POD HD500, and a Helix and the Helix was a huge improvement over the POD HD in terms of sound. It's a great unit with incredible routing capabilities. Having said that, I managed to get a great price on a Kemper last year and it's in a completely different league. I've only ever owned 1 tube amp, a Marshall JTM30 which I never used much so I can't really say how much like a real tube amp it sounds like but my god it sounds amazing. Obviously being a profiler and not a modeler, it's all dependent on the profiles you use, but I splurged on the complete set of Top Jimi profiles and my Les Paul through a '68 Marshall Plexi profile sounds how I'd expect the real thing to sound like. I run it through 2 x Peavey 1 x 15" keyboard amps. I've kept the Helix as the effects and stompboxes on the Kemper aren't great so I run the Kemper through the FX loop of the Helix and use stompboxes before and reverb/delay after the Kemper. It also makes a great foot controller. Very happy with my setup.

12. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

13. Perko

Perko Member

Anyone had any experience with the Digitech Luxe and MXR chorus offerings? The Boss units I've tried sound fine tone-wise, but the wet signal is too weak for my liking.

Feel free to throw other brands/models in, I don't care if it's in a cardboard box if it's the right sound.

14. Silenius

Silenius Member

Anyone know a good shop in Sydney to install some passive pickups and do a decent setup?

I just got some bareknuckle nailbombs and need them installed!

they're going to sound so much better than the stock ibanez ones :o

15. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

Just did a setup and servicing course with Dr Gear and highly recommend Six's work. www.drgear.com.au
    I have also used Alan Rigg in the past and can also highly recommend, http://www.alanrigg.com.au/

If you can use a soldering iron and follow instructions give it a go yourself.

16. ndt

ndt Member

Yeah, I think most Ibanez pickups should be 4 wire like the bareknuckles, so you should be able to just match the wiring based on how it was wired.

Picked up a Marshall DSL15 head over the weekend and pretty stoked with it. Its got a nice, tight driven channel.

17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I am still looking for someone to jam with around 4113-4116 with acoustics, classical's etc and see what happens.

If anyone is keen give me a PM.

18. Silenius

Silenius Member

Thanks for the recommendations! I've never soldered anything, I might give it a go but dunno yet

19. ndt

ndt Member

Anyone know why you'd want a bias knob on an amp? I picked up a Peavey Classic 30 and in looking it over I found a random knob tucked under the chassis. Little bit of research revealed its a mod to let you dial in bias via a knob rather than messing with resistors.

I know you adjust bias according to the requirements of the tubes you're using, but just curious why someone would need to adjust bias so frequently that they’d need a knob? Seems like a good way to kill your tubes or even amp having a dial that could be knocked.

20. Perko

Perko Member

Splawns have pots inside them where the bias resistor goes on the power stage, but never seen on externally. Usually if you have a pot, it's one of the ones with a locking nut so you don't move it by accident.

Cool amp btw, very underrated.