OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Never done it myself (my amp is auto biasing), but i've read of it being used in a similar fashion to overclocking a CPU, although it's opposite. Under biasing is running hotter, over biasing is cooler. It may lead to a different/more saturated sound, but you risk blowing the fuck out of it and will most likely shorten the lifespan.

ndt likes this.
  2. Perko

Perko Member

Grabbed a set of Slider's 69's for the old girl. Now the fun begins. Thinking master tone and a blender.

[​IMG]

3. GarethB

GarethB Member

Changing the bias of the valves can change the tone of the amp, and if you want to try using valves that are rated for a different bias than the amp is designed for, you'd need some way to adjust the bias. I have an unmodded Classic 30, I've owned it for donkey's years and based on comments about modding C30's that I've seen in various places, an adjustable bias is one of the more common mods.

Since your C30 has been modded, I'd suggest you seriously consider having a qualified amp tech look at it. Do you know who modded it? Do you know how well it was done? Do you know if they made any other changes you haven't found yet? A valve amp should get a checkup from an amp tech, parts can and do go bad with time. A valve amp that's been modded and you don't know who did it or what was done definitely should be checked by someone qualified.

One more point. There have been changes to the C30 over the years, so if you do get it checked by a tech, they will need to make sure they have the correct circuit schematic, not all C30's are the same. As one example, early C30's do NOT have a standby switch on them, later model C30's do, next to the main power switch, and that was a factory change, not an aftermarket mod. There may have been other changes over the years, but that's the most obvious one I can think of that would make a circuit schematic different.

4. ndt

ndt Member

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

I changed the strings on my newest guitar and now I can play better :D (pull-offs and hammerons weren't working at all, lighter strings have made a big difference.)

Oh, and it's all shiny and nice, I cleaned it all and it's looking goooood.

6. Perko

Perko Member

Where's the pics of these guitars, Broc?

Bold Eagle likes this.
  7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Agree pics or it didn't happen/doesn't exist.....................

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  9. Perko

Perko Member

Nice, I love a nice Gretsch. We're all mutually bad influences around here. I've settled down again after letting 10 years of repressed GAS loose after I found that Navigator LP.
    I have a double hit of it though, because I have a pretty clear idea of what I want in each style of guitar, and the ability to tinker. I've played a whooooole lot of guitars in my time, pushing into the thousands, cheap ones, expensive ones, famous ones etc. There have only been a handful that I wouldn't change something on to suit myself better, and only my LP fits that bill in my collection. THAT'S when it gets expensive.

Bold Eagle likes this.
  10. shino

shino Member

do I really need to play guitar for 4 plus hours each day to be pro? like a pro session player?

11. Perko

Perko Member

Depends if you want to be a session player. Those guys are usually actively playing/practicing a lot to keep their clock and pitch bang on for the studio work, as well as learn the material they're doing.
    Most of the "pros" that I know would play an hour or two a day to maintain form, but not necessarily all of it plugged into a backing track or metronome. I've always found that I'm at my best as a player when I'm playing with other musicians regularly, even if it's just a garage band full of unreliable shitheads. Gigging is where it's at though.

Bold Eagle likes this.
  12. shino

shino Member

a 1989 les paul gibson is availbable for $2750.... what do you all think of this price?

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

A serious athlete will do at least 15minutes everyday of 'warm up exercises' for a guitarists it is scale practice. This is a mental (know where your fingers should be) and physical (keep the fingers moving and going more "easily" to where they should be). At the end of a week of doing 'scale runs' you don't even have to look where your fingers are as you know if they on point or not.

If you want to be a Pro you need to start looking at 30-60mins of warm up stuff every day, both for theory (mental) and dexterity (physical).

If you want to just have things handed to you, that ain't going to happen unless your some form of prodigy?!?

Input=output?!?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  14. Perko

Perko Member

Depends very much on the guitar. They saw a definite improvement in general build quality from 1986 when Henry and Co bought them, sort of like when the Yamaha guys bought Fender off CBS, but LPs don't age as well as other styles of guitar if they're not looked after, or if they come into contact with a sub-par luthier along the way.
    In general, assuming it's a Standard, that's a low-mid price for that era. Can you try before you buy?

15. ndt

ndt Member

Depends on what it is. Like 80s Gibsons Goldtops or customs start at around that price but I've seen 80s studios go for like $1500.

16. Perko

Perko Member

The late 80s ones are generally a better bet than the early 80s ones, but the prices reflect it usually.

I'd be prepared to drop a bit extra on something from the late 80s into the 90s vs anything newer or 70s stuff. But yeah, not enough info in the question.

17. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

No matter what model Les Paul it is, make sure you play it first. They are so inconsistent.

Perko likes this.
  18. shino

shino Member

19. Perko

Perko Member

Well... it's definitely a Les Paul style guitar.

20. ndt

ndt Member

Looks like a standard? Looks like its in good nic and its a desirable colour so could be worth the money.