OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Never done it myself (my amp is auto biasing), but i've read of it being used in a similar fashion to overclocking a CPU, although it's opposite. Under biasing is running hotter, over biasing is cooler. It may lead to a different/more saturated sound, but you risk blowing the fuck out of it and will most likely shorten the lifespan.

ndt likes this.
  2. Perko

Perko Member

Grabbed a set of Slider's 69's for the old girl. Now the fun begins. Thinking master tone and a blender.

[​IMG]

3. GarethB

GarethB Member

Changing the bias of the valves can change the tone of the amp, and if you want to try using valves that are rated for a different bias than the amp is designed for, you'd need some way to adjust the bias. I have an unmodded Classic 30, I've owned it for donkey's years and based on comments about modding C30's that I've seen in various places, an adjustable bias is one of the more common mods.

Since your C30 has been modded, I'd suggest you seriously consider having a qualified amp tech look at it. Do you know who modded it? Do you know how well it was done? Do you know if they made any other changes you haven't found yet? A valve amp should get a checkup from an amp tech, parts can and do go bad with time. A valve amp that's been modded and you don't know who did it or what was done definitely should be checked by someone qualified.

One more point. There have been changes to the C30 over the years, so if you do get it checked by a tech, they will need to make sure they have the correct circuit schematic, not all C30's are the same. As one example, early C30's do NOT have a standby switch on them, later model C30's do, next to the main power switch, and that was a factory change, not an aftermarket mod. There may have been other changes over the years, but that's the most obvious one I can think of that would make a circuit schematic different.