1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

so after by my count 22 years of playing right handed guitar thax to the rona i've gone a bought a left handed guitar as im left handed (duh).
    Its going to be an interesting experience , it feels like im crawling again. right now just doing nothing but open picking patterns and finger interdependence patterns ( without picking the note) until my fingers toughen up enough to produce a note without needing to push the string hard.

2. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

That's interesting. Why the change? You just want to be ambiguitarial?

3. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

20 years of working of bad technique, i want to implement that from scratch without over coming years of muscle memory.
    Also picking is just so much more important that people realise, not using your dominate hand is a massive disadvantage.

but it really is like learning to crawl for the first time.

Agg likes this.
  4. Boneman

Boneman Member

Gary Moore, Billy Corgan, Mark Knopfler, Joe Perry and many others all lefties who played right handed.

The dominant hand has a head start, but through practice both hands will sync up.

5. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

sure, but it is a deficit that will always be there and given we wont be doing anything for then ext 6 months , why not :).

6. Boneman

Boneman Member

What some call a deficit, I call an advantage. ;)

I tried playing lefty in the beginning, was fine until I played a righty and my brain said 'YES'.

I guess a lot of the older guys didn't have the option either back in the early days.

7. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

i think alot of it can be what eye you are dominate with,
    im left handed but right eye dominate. So picking up a right handed guitar felt fine in the beginning, same with using a mouse etc.
    But we know how little eyes have to do with guitar playing once your up and running.

it will be interesting, in a year or two i'll have to post solo's played both left and right handed and people can be the judge :).

8. IzzyBlues

IzzyBlues Member

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

9. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

my mates think if weird because I learnt how to play left handed even though I have been playing right handed since I was 10. I am also right handed

10. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Been messing around with a Tech 21 Sansamp GT2 that my 2ic at work lent me. Really digging some of the tones. This is just phone audio but you get idea.

Signal chain is Wolfgang front pickup split > Sansamp on Tweed + Hi Gain > TC Hall of Fame mini with Paul Gilbert toneprint > effects loop return. So i'm using the Sansamp as a preamp, over riding all the amps controls, just using the power amp on the Orange TH30.

11. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

just a heads up but if anyone wants good amp sim IK multimedia has studio max 2 for 75% off on their website (which has amplitube amp sim plus a heap of other stuff including bass and drums!) for $391 (with $30 discount after creating a new account and redeeming the given jampoints) which is a pretty good price. It works standalone and as a plugin for most DAWs.

Boneman likes this.
  12. Boneman

Boneman Member

Amplitube has come a LONG way since the beginning. Amazing for Bass as well, they really captured the SVT. The T-Racks series is sweet too.

13. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

I've been looking into guitar amp sims, have been using a focusrite fw interface with a guitar and bass and going into ableton lite. The few amps did me at first, on the weekend I finally pulled down amplitube and got the plug in installed. Woah now, hasn't that made a difference in the sound? lol A mate told me to do so three years or so back when i first installed ableton. The things we learn....sometimes slowly lol

I'm looking into a couple of other plug ins as well, looking for an electric to acoustic effect to play with.

14. shino

shino Member

there amp sims in abelton lite?

15. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

There's 6 or 7 amps available in the audio effects panel, that's all I'd been using till now. Will get a screenshot of the section when i'm on that machine to show what I mean.

16. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

Took me long enough.On the left in Audio effects, then the Audio Effect Rack has the amp sims.

upload_2020-5-5_18-47-22.png

17. jclei

jclei Member

I decided to put down a pre order for a Positive Grid Spark Amp. I know it will probably be 5-6 months before I get one but as a practice amp for home it seems like the best thing to suit my needs.

I have a Fender Blues Jr and a small pedal board but i dont play live and find i want to play with headphones more often. I have Reaper and Bias FX 2 as well but i dont really enjoy having to use my PC to play. With the Bluetooth streaming capability and option to run backing tracks through the Spark Amp I hope i will get the best of both worlds (Amp sims and actual amps)

18. ex4n

ex4n Member

Upgraded the pickups in my strat the other day, from original 30 year old ceramics to a set of SD APS-1s.
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/alnico-ii-pro-staggered

Demo sound clip (not me obviously, I'm not that good)

Got them second hand on Gumtree and replaced most of the electronics at the same time, into a new pickguard as the original one was kind of flimsy and brittle. Kept the original CRL switch, added CTS 250k pots, Orange Drop 0.022uf cap, and a treble bleed, as well as all new wiring. The wiring is super neat, not my work, the guy I bought it off did it all for me before I picked it up. The guitar is not a collectible but I still have all the original bits in a bag anyway, just in case I need em.

Thought you guys might appreciate.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  19. jclei

jclei Member

What are you finding are the biggest differences in sound?

20. ex4n

ex4n Member

I am far from a professional or expert player, and the old pickups didn't sound terrible to me. It's not a night and day difference but I would say they sound a bit warmer, a bit of a thicker sound and a bit brighter. Hard for me to describe exactly, but just sounds more alive overall. Also seems more sensitive to lighter playing and more responsive to a light or a heavier touch. I'm playing through a Katana 50 with a lot of pre-sets and they sound a bit more authentic to me now too. I'm not good at describing musical stuff so sorry if this makes no sense haha.

jclei likes this.