OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

so after by my count 22 years of playing right handed guitar thax to the rona i've gone a bought a left handed guitar as im left handed (duh).
    Its going to be an interesting experience , it feels like im crawling again. right now just doing nothing but open picking patterns and finger interdependence patterns ( without picking the note) until my fingers toughen up enough to produce a note without needing to push the string hard.

2. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

That's interesting. Why the change? You just want to be ambiguitarial?

3. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

20 years of working of bad technique, i want to implement that from scratch without over coming years of muscle memory.
    Also picking is just so much more important that people realise, not using your dominate hand is a massive disadvantage.

but it really is like learning to crawl for the first time.

Agg likes this.
  4. Boneman

Boneman Member

Gary Moore, Billy Corgan, Mark Knopfler, Joe Perry and many others all lefties who played right handed.

The dominant hand has a head start, but through practice both hands will sync up.

5. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

sure, but it is a deficit that will always be there and given we wont be doing anything for then ext 6 months , why not :).

6. Boneman

Boneman Member

What some call a deficit, I call an advantage. ;)

I tried playing lefty in the beginning, was fine until I played a righty and my brain said 'YES'.

I guess a lot of the older guys didn't have the option either back in the early days.

7. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

i think alot of it can be what eye you are dominate with,
    im left handed but right eye dominate. So picking up a right handed guitar felt fine in the beginning, same with using a mouse etc.
    But we know how little eyes have to do with guitar playing once your up and running.

it will be interesting, in a year or two i'll have to post solo's played both left and right handed and people can be the judge :).

8. IzzyBlues

IzzyBlues Member

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

9. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

my mates think if weird because I learnt how to play left handed even though I have been playing right handed since I was 10. I am also right handed