OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. shino

shino Member

do y'all use or adhere to western music theory when playing?

2. shino

shino Member

Supro Blues King 8 tube combo - anyone got a opinion on this amp?

Fender Vibro Champ XD - anyone know where to get one or a equivalent?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  3. ndt

ndt Member

isn't the super champ XD the better one? super champ X2 is the newer one but seems like people don't like the modeling of the X2

4. shino

shino Member

super champ XD vs fender blues jr... need something for the bedroom... 15watts, how loud is that? too loud?

5. ndt

ndt Member

I think 15w should be fine for bedroom. I have a 4w vox AC4(10inch speaker version) and Peavey classic 30(30w) and both sound great at bedroom volumes. You'll only find a Super champ XD 2nd hand now days so keep that in mind, also I’ve not played either fender amps so just going by what I’ve seen and heard online.

The fender blues jr is full tube and was the gold standard for bedroom tube clean to overdriven type tones for a while. The Super champ XD is sort of a hybrid amp, It has a tube power stage and a single 12ax7 for the pre-amp but it’s still a solid state preamp.

The blues Jr will sound like a blues jr but the XD has the modelling so it can emulate a bunch of different amps.(not sure how realistic these sound though)

For me, I don’t mind digital modelling so would go the Super champ XD(I am actually on the lookout for a XD head) but if you want authentic fender tube goodness the blue jr is pretty good. Also, if you’re after something a little more high gain from Fender, the bassbreaker 15 has gotten pretty good reviews.

6. alexb618

alexb618 Member

you can gig with a 15w tube amp, you wont be able to get it to break up properly in your bedroom unless you hate everyone on your entire block

7. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

What little I've learned, yes. Am currently learning and practicing some scales, pentatonic and major first. I mostly play along with blues/rock.

I'm interested to hear where you're going with that question :)

8. shino

shino Member

there's the guitarworld mag advice from dimebag who doesn't and a few other pros who doesn't and don't use western music theory. And there's Lime Cordiale who use music theory every time they play

Tom Delong doesn't. Tom morrello does. Stanid Gutarist doesn't. Pretty sure SOAD guitarist doesn't. ATDI guitarist doesn't.

9. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

My first two years I had informal lessons, take a tape of what I was interested in learning/playing, the teacher would roughly work it out and write out chords and maybe some tab on a couple of sheets of A4, I'd take that away for a week and come back to show the progress. Never learned to read music nor any other music theory. I had a badly formed basic scale I sort of knew that roughly fit if I played in the right area. I did find I missed out over the years through not learning and practicing scales/theory as it would've given me a lot more confidence of where I could be on the fretboard. Getting into that now at a gentle pace and playing around with it is giving more satisfaction from playing.

10. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

Does of course come down to the individual, Gail Ann Dorsey who was playing bass guitar for David Bowie apparently has no music theory knowledge either. Each to their own as always.

11. ndt

ndt Member

Blues jr has a master volume and pre-amp volume so should be able to crank either while keeping the other down low to get some good break up.

12. jclei

jclei Member

I owned a Super Champ XD until about a month ago. It was fine for bedroom volumes - the normal channel doesnt get crazy loud really.

The X2 is the updated version with USB input to update the effects. It seems people preferred the XD over the X2 for actual sounds but ive never played an X2 so I cant judge.

If you want something thats good for bedroom volume, full tube and gets good breakup - a lot of fender forums like the Joyo Sweet Baby. 8inch speaker, 5 watts all tube and basically sounds similar to the old Fender Champs.

I currently have a Vox AC10 for home use and have to say its probably double as loud as the Fender Super Champ XD which was 15 watts

13. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

Ive got an orange dark terror mini (not the micro) which is full tube. Impressive range of overdrive, marketed for heavier styles but actually can deliver excellent tones for all manner of lighter genres. Would recommend highly as a versatile all tube home amp. Can do everything from cleans to blues to metal. I play mostly blues.

14. shino

shino Member

there the supro blues thing amp for $500 or the joyo sweet baby 5 watt for $228...
    the supro blues king has a tone knob.... which is better?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  15. peterdimo

peterdimo Member

16. ndt

ndt Member

17. ndt

ndt Member

18. ndt

ndt Member

19. Perko

Perko Member

Might be a good option for those curious without having to find one to try or shell out for.

20. ndt

ndt Member

Yeah, I don't think I've seen any fan fret guitars under $1000