1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. king3o0o

king3o0o Member

will it work ? wont mind having a go at this kmart one , was looking at. i guess the power supply has to be on the top side.

2. ndt

ndt Member

I ended up picking one up to put my Line6 M13 on and a couple of distortion pedals and I thought it was good for a home board, doesn’t feel flimsy. Like you said, if you're using a power tank\box type PSU you'd have to mount it on top. The board sits flat so if you prefer your board to be angled you'd need to get some rubber stoppers to put under the back or maybe add something so you have a upper tier for the pedals towards the back. The wood is quite smooth so you might need to rough it up or get some strong glue if you want to put some carpet or velcro on it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  3. ndt

ndt Member

Anyone know if a FRFR cab's design is different to a normal guitar cab design? I have a old randall 1x12 cab and was thinking about chucking a kemper kone(or similar) in it.

4. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

From what I understand FRFR is just the speaker and the cabinet is just the same as any other cabinet give or take. I'll add my two cents and just say don't listen to youtube hype on anything

ndt likes this.
  5. GarethB

GarethB Member

ndt likes this.
  6. ndt

ndt Member

Cheers, I had tried a FRFR setup about a year ago and did like it but the issue was I went with a Alto TS212 which is known for being a bit boomy which was annoying in the room. I've had this cab sitting unused for like 5 years so I figured this would give it a new life.

Vohaul likes this.
  7. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

let us know how it works out. have a mate that might be interested in getting one. he doesn't have much cash to spend on guitars anymore

8. shino

shino Member

I see a 2005 strat USA. Anyone know what the best year for a USA strat? and if it worth 1200?

9. GarethB

GarethB Member

Here' a vid about recording guitars and "double tracking" that I found interesting. If you're into home recording it might be useful.

Duff Man likes this.
  10. GarethB

GarethB Member

Getting back to affordable fanned fret guitars from a page or two earlier in this thread.
    I was looking at Artist Guitars, a mostly online music gear store in Sydney and noticed they now have a headless, 8 string, fanned fret guitar up on their site. It looks like it's not in stock yet.
    https://www.artistguitars.com.au/bu...ltiscale-Fanned-Fret-8-String-Electric-Guitar

The store tends to sell Chinese made gear, often rebadged under their own store name, and for the listed price I expect this new guitar is the same. I'm not saying that is a bad thing (CCP shenanigans not withstanding). Until now the guitars sold by Artist have been fairly conventional types but generally good quality (for their price point) in reviews. I wouldn't expect this new guitar to be on equal standing with an Ormsby or Strandberg, but if it's built to the same standard as their other guitars, it shouldn't be junk. I would be more interested in a 7 string version rather than an 8 string, and they do have a 7 string electric guitar but it's not fanned fret.

11. ska'

ska' Member

My few..

1. 2020 - 50's Orginal Telecaster
    2. 2010ish - Fender Strat HSS
    3. 2020 - Gretsch Electromatic

[​IMG]

Amp is an Achillies Princeton Handwired (copy of a Blackface) with a 12" Creamback.

Duff Man likes this.
  12. king3o0o

king3o0o Member

hey good people of ocau,

today i turn on my blackstar HT-5 , no volume, i turned the volume all the way up on the clean channel i hear lots of "hiss" and some volume from the guitar, same as the dirty channel.

does this mean the tube its gone ,? i look on line, seem like a thing for this amp of its age,

now if it needs repair, how much is it going to cost ? will i be better off buying a katana or some practice amp for the price of a repair ? (my black star is easily 8+ years old)

13. Perko

Perko Member

Is that one of the ones with the emulated out/headphone out? Do you have volume on that, if it is?
    I haven't heard of this ending well tbh, usually it's the power stage itself rather than a tube, but you could be lucky!

14. ndt

ndt Member

you could try turning it on in a dark room to see if the tubes are glowing at all. Hard to know what the issue is, no sound could be a number of things. I bought a Peavy classic 30 that had powered on but had no sound and it turned out to be a burnt out capacitor.

If you're up for replacing the tubes yourself, you'd be looking at like $50-70 to replace the two tubes the HT-5 has, dunno what a shop would charge.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  15. king3o0o

king3o0o Member

Yes emulator works tested it after your suggestion. Also means it's not the guitar or effect loop like the internet suggested.

Not an expert but does power stages failure means it's a goner ?

16. Perko

Perko Member

It depends on the price/availability of the parts mostly, I'm not sure for your specific model, sorry. Generally the parts and labour for major repairs on the Blackstars/Katanas etc can be more expensive than the amp's worth though.

If the power tube is lightng up and isn't cherry plating or showing any hot spots it's not likely to be that, but it's worth checking out what ndt suggested too. I'm not sure how hard those amps drive their tubes, a lot of the emulator type amps run them on the cool side.

17. GarethB

GarethB Member

At first I thought you might have a problem with a blown fuse (the HT-5 amp has two replaceable fuses) but after a bit more digging around for known faults with the HT-5, it turns out HT-5's have a reputation for over-heating the 12BH7 valve in the power stage, causing the valve to burn out and stop working, which would also match the problem you describe. This will require an electronics tech to fix the fault causing the valve to overheat.

https://cmi.com.au/brands/blackstar-amplification/

This is the Australian importer/distributor for Blackstar. At 8+ years old, I expect your amp is out of warrantee. Contact CMI and ask them if they can recommend an amp/electronics repair technician in your area, then try to get a repair price estimate from the repair place. If your problem is a known fault, they repair tech should have a firm idea on the cost of the repair. I have no idea what that price is likely to be.

The cheapest model Katana at the moment is the Katana Mini, selling for around $160 new. It's about the size of a large lunchbox, rated for 7 watts with one built in 4 inch speaker but does not have all the simulated amp models of the larger Katana amps.
    The smallest/cheapest full size Katana is the Katana 50, selling for around $350 new. Combo amp with one 12 inch speaker, can select power level between 50, 25 and 0.5 watts, has the full set of simulated amp models but only half the save slots (four slots) to save amp/effect presets compared to the 100 watt Katana amps (8 preset/save slots).

If a small lunchbox type amp with simulated amp models and built in effects appeals to you, also look at the Yamaha THR amps, very highly regarded from multiple reviewers, but more expensive than a Katana 50. A THR-10II retails for around $400 compared to the Katana 50 at $350.
    https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/m...ars_basses/amps_accessories/thr-ii/index.html

18. IzzyBlues

IzzyBlues Member

[​IMG]

I'm slowly getting there...

Currently I'm on a waiting list on this pedal:

[​IMG]

Once I get that in my hands, I'll assemble my pedal board.

Next purchase will be an Apollo Audio Twin USB in the next few weeks. Currently waiting on the speaker cables and 1/4 coupler to hook the OX Box into the amp so I can play without pissing anyone else in the house off.

19. shino

shino Member

Do you all play to a time? I play with time/feel in my head. no 4/4 timing etc. no. clicks. just my own rhythm of what sounds good at the time.

20. shino

shino Member