OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. GarethB

GarethB Member

I don't know, I'm not very familiar with what a variax guitar can do. The GS-1 was publicly launched about a week ago at the US Summer NAMM convention. We'll get more info about it in a few weeks.

Edit: There is a weekly podcast with the head of Boss Japan that gets uploaded to the Boss channel on youtube with the hashtag #talkwithboss. https://www.youtube.com/hashtag/talkwithboss

Last week they talked about the new guitar with some demos as part of the talk. It looks like they've modified the internal electronics of the Boss SY-300 pedal to fit inside the guitar body. Considering the AU pricetag, I'll definitely pass. No mention of any lower priced models, and considering Boss has a history of bass specific versions of some of their guitar-synth and multi-effect products, no mention if we will see a bass version of this guitar.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  2. ndt

ndt Member

3. shino

shino Member

4. IzzyBlues

IzzyBlues Member

Bought a new pedal and did a little play.

Bolter01 and ndt like this.
  5. shino

shino Member

6. Radley

Radley Member

Anyone ever sold a guitar then regretted it later on? I'm tempted to sell my 2014 Gibson Les Paul but I know I'll regret it.

7. ndt

ndt Member

yep, and my list isn't even expensive guitars but the necks felt great but at the time I didn't want to have too many guitars and was also kinda broke so I figured I could just rebuy them later but have come to realise that just because it's the same model doesn't' mean it will feel the same. Also pains me to see the cheap prices they sold for.

Ibanez RGT42 $275
    ESP LTD FX260
    Ibanez S570DXQM $350
    Parker P38 $300

8. Perko

Perko Member

I sold a first generation American Deluxe Tele and I don't regret it, soulless, un-Tele-like thing it was. Generally if you're thinking about selling something for a reason other than needing cash, it's probably "not bringing joy" as they say.

You'll probably get rose tinted glasses later on, but that's a separate issue lol.

9. shino

shino Member

what telecaster do you recommend then? they all the rage atm

10. Perko

Perko Member

Nothing as specific as a model, if you want the actual Telecaster tone and characteristic rather than just a "T style" guitar, you want the 3 saddle bridge, and you don't want noiseless pickups, both of which the American Deluxes have. Apparently the newer N4 noiseless pickups are much better, but the 6 saddle bridges just take something away imo. My Telecaster is a partscaster with a set of Sliders '52s in it, and I'd take it over most Teles I've played over the last 20 years or so, if I could source a better neck for it it would be nearly perfect.

shino likes this.
  11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

my 8 year old wants to learn guitar.. is there really any differences in buying one from somewhere like JB HiFi vs a dedicated music shop?

12. shino

shino Member

13. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Yeah, there is. Mostly in pre sales knowledge and post sale service if that's important to you. I'm not saying that there won't necessarily be experienced, knowledgeable musicians in JB, but.... your chances are a lot higher in your local music shop.

If that's not important to you, get one of the 1/2 or 3/4 size acoustics from artistguitars.com.au. They're probably the best bang for buck in AU, especially with the free shipping and returns, and the quality is up there too. No affiliation, but I taught guitar full time for nearly 8 years and put a lot of kids onto them.

supasaiyan likes this.
  14. ndt

ndt Member

Yeah was gonna say artistguitars too, I bought the below acoustic like 8 years ago and still happy it. Was pretty good for the price back then, dunno if the build quality has changed. The only fault I had with it was the plastic bridge saddle, as the strings have now basically worn into it and the action is getting buzzy but that's only a couple of dollars to replace.

https://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/artist-lsps-beginner-acoustic-guitar-pack-with-sma/70001

15. Franc

Franc Member

I have an Les Paul from Artist Guitars and its pretty decent, its pretty much as good quality as my Yamahas (Which have really good build quality).