1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Perko

Perko Member

I use my hifiman he-4xx with the iPad running BiasFX, sounds pretty neat.

ndt likes this.
  2. IzzyBlues

IzzyBlues Member

For headphones, I have my amp plugged into my OX Box running into my Apollo Twin and I plug my headphones into the Apollo Twin.

ndt likes this.
  3. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

look into the torpedo Cab-M, it does cab and amp sim and sounds really good. and works with headphones. and the rest of a pedal board.

ndt likes this.
  4. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

I use an Axe-FX II XL+ but I doubt you want to drop that kind of cash

5. ndt

ndt Member

lol yeah, I had a Axe FX ultra a few years ago, maybe I should go back.

6. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  7. GarethB

GarethB Member

Line 6 have launched a challenger to the Boss Katana modelling amps, the Line 6 Catalyst. Three combo models so far, a 60w 1x12, a 100w 1x12 and a 200w 2x12.
    Overall range of features are very similar for Catalyst and Katana and a quick check of online prices shows them to be similar as well. Catalyst prices are a little higher, but it's a new set of models so retail outlets haven't had the time to assess buyer demand and adjust their prices compared to the Katana which has been in stores for years now.

Here's a head to head comparison between the 100w 1x12 Catalyst and the Mk2 100x 1x12 Katana.

8. shino

shino Member

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  9. shino

shino Member

So I got the Vox super beetle tube-ish amp. It's really great. My best amp. the Roland Cube was not in stock. They refunded. Can recommend the Vox super beetle.

Looking at the Ashton 12 string. Anybody know if they good? Ashton has Cole Clark guys working for them right?

10. Franc

Franc Member

I get the pervasive feeling that Andertons are shilling rather than genuine reviews - nothing to base this on especially, just a feeling I have

11. shino

shino Member

JustinGuitar is Australian I just found out. And also my new s/h maton mini 12 is aussie.

12. Cererus

Cererus Member

Never knew that ! thought he was from the UK or English transplanted to the US
    One of my favourite channels is https://www.youtube.com/c/anyonecanplayguitarcouk/featured
    Goes quite in-depth some times as well as the beginner basics but mainly because he does song lessons on more obscure tracks and indie bands instead of the "let's learn the sweet chile 'o' mine" solo stuff

13. shino

shino Member

tasmanian in fact

14. ernie

ernie Member

I sold 3x guitars when I was in secondary school, to get the cash to buy something better, I wish I didn't. I still have a Strat American Standard from about 2001.
    Also sold a Korg min700G synth and a DX7 that are both collectors items now. During lockdown, I was making tracks for friends in Garageband and I wish I still had all that gear.

- Ernie.

15. Perko

Perko Member

Picked up this pretty old girl from Japan, Plays great and sounds really resonant unplugged, but it's had the classic Japanese rewire in a high school electronics class, so it's going to need a set of Sliders 59s and a tortoise shell guard on it I think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  16. akashra

akashra Member

Did the accent not give it away?!

I'm always amazed the loss people are willing to take on some things when they sell them secondhand, and how much value they lose - especially low-end guitars.

I bought a Affinity Tele really cheap knowing full-well I plan to replace/upgrade it (probably with a Player Plus) later on - but for something more expensive I'd be unlikely to want to take the loss on the secondhand price just to upgrade - especially considering you can upgrade the pickups and many other parts if you really wanted to. I'm in to month-four of the guitar journey and now have an Affinity strat+tele, and bought a secondhand Player strat stupid cheap. Next on the shopping list are a LP and a PRS Custom 24.

17. Franc

Franc Member

I didnt know it either, and paid for the app!

18. Perko

Perko Member

Generally agree, all of my guitars except for one of my Navigators and my acoustic that I bought new have been insanely cheap for various reasons. I think the last couple of years have been crazier than usual because of people offloading gear to survive covid lockdowns/job losses/no gigs etc, a lot of my professional musician friends have sold off some really high end gear to get through, and it sucks for them.

Being in Melbourne gives you a decent opportunity to play gear before you buy it, if you're looking to go with PRS, (PRS people are a different breed lol), it's definitely worth seeing and playing it in person, as they've changed/refined a lot over the last 20 years or so, and some of the earlier blue based stains often fade and it isn't always obvious how bad it is via photos. Some of the stained quilt ESPs from that era did it too, but they're not particularly common guitars. The same goes for LPs, they're so variable in so many ways, (including QA), that they're probably the most buyer beware guitar around imo.

19. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

So, it's been a long while since I've posted... so I thought I would have a humble brag of sorts while looking for validation from random internet people. In the process of a couple of years, I sold some partscasters and a bunch of pedals and got myself a PRS Se Standard 24 secondhand. I did all the mods - tusq nut, Tonezone, Humbucker From Hell, Gotoh locking tuners, ebay trem stabiliser, volume pot capacitor removal, and wasn't ever really satisfied by it, even though it was probably one of the nicest dressed necks I've played. I traded the Kramer for an Ibanez s670PB and put dimarzios in that too (TZ, HFH).

I decided that I didn't want to mess around with cheap guitars anymore, so I sold more pedals and a couple of partscasters again, and got myself a Player Strat from Portmac guitars. I dropped some lace sensors (red dually, silver, blue, recently removed the blue for another silver), fender short locking tuners, and gotoh locking saddles. The bridge is set parallel to the body for a little bit of pullup. Great guitar, the plek from Portmac was great, but I managed to drop the action lower again.

Anyway, I had some parts around that I wanted to use for an Eb/downtuned fixed bridge thing, so I grabbed an Indo Squier off FB marketplace for $200. It already had Gotoh locking tuners installed so I figured it was worth the cash. At the time I was also trying to sell the PRS and Ibanez, mentioning to the bloke that I was doing so. He messaged me on the way home asking what I was going to buy (I was planning on a Charvel So Cal) and asked if I'd be interested in trading both for a USA Strat Ultra...

Well.... I had to think about it for a bit. Decided it was (well)) worth it and could move it and get enough for the Charvel later if I didn't like it, went around and both played each other's guitars and decided to go ahead with the trade.

So, anyway, it's an 89 Plus, not an Ultra, but no matter. Someone had replaced the middle Lace Gold with a Silver somewhere along the way, but it came with a hardcase and the condition was A1. After a bit of a play, I decided singles in the bridge are still not my thing so I dropped a ToneZoneS in the bridge (autosplit in pos 2). Happy days. The bridge was decked and will stay that way.

As far as the Squier goes, I put a Megadrive in the bridge, and a HFH in the neck (have you seen a theme yet?) with a 5 way superswitch - bridge series, bridge south, bridge north, bridge north + HFH, HFH. I did a setup and I'm super surprised at how good it is and how well it stays in tune (no surprise with locking tuners and a decked bridge tbh).

So, I guess the big Q is: How does a 2021 MIM Player stack up against an 89 USA Strat Plus? Well, the Plus is lighter, but there doesn't seem to be anything between them build wise. With 30 years between them, I think the Player benefits from any evolution in build tech in that time - the fit and finish is fantastic. The singles in the Player were great, the bridge HB was a bit underwhelming but when I first cranked it up at praco I was kinda like "I don't know that I need to upgrade the pickups here...." but I had them ready so they went in anyway, lol. The Player bridge stays in tune with all sorts of stupid whammy tricks too.

Attached Files:

Perko, ndt and Agg like this.
  20. ndt

ndt Member