1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Guitar Players Club 3

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by sandwichamwin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Franc

Franc Member

2. shino

shino Member

Monterey MPT-60TSB Platinum Tele

this tele like guitar is $167.19 on ebay belfield music. buy? or buy a real tele?

3. Franc

Franc Member

The only Monterey (a bass) I bought was pretty dissapointing - personally id spend a little more and get something you wont regret.

4. Perko

Perko Member

Yeah Monterey stuff is very low end in my experience.

5. Franc

Franc Member

if you are after a really cheap guitar ( Not a tele though)

https://www.modernmusician.com.au/e...wO_R1Qfg0HtQIfPFLMbq7IEgbK-m5xYRoC_6QQAvD_BwE
    $199 on sale or you could buy something like

I have one of these I bought for a laugh more than anything else, its serviceable though the tuners are rubbish with a big dead zone (ill replace with some cheap locking ones when I can be bothered)

Personally, id buy a used pacifica 012/112 from ebay/gumtree/facebook marketplace but thats me.

6. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

7. Franc

Franc Member

Agreed but if someone is looking at Monterey stuff they aint looking to spend that much.

8. shino

shino Member

I actually saw a MIM telecaster butterscotch for $350 on marketplace. That resparked my interest for a tele

9. ndt

ndt Member

Maybe checkout Squire or SX? I bought a used Squire Jazzmaster off gumtree for $200 and was surprised with how it felt. It did have a cheapness to it but was still enjoyable to play. I also bought a SX semi-hollow stat and found it to be decent for the $400.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  10. wombat_58

wombat_58 Member

11. Franc

Franc Member

Or a used Pacifica 112/012, they arent miles away from a tele. I have both and they are really nice for beginners like me

12. shino

shino Member

13. ndt

ndt Member

Pretty sure its a Fender modern player tele.

14. akashra

akashra Member

So my journey in to guitar has started to turn in to a journey in to planning to build a guitar that's way beyond my playing ability right now, but it let's me marry the electronics and tinkering side of the hobbies together.

There's a bit of a backstory: Back when I started playing, I told myself "you can buy a X when you can play Y" as kinda a way to stop me collecting guitars before I could play them. Problem was I unknowingly set the goals far too low and it didn't take more than about 6 weeks til I could play some of those things. So I shifted the goal posts slightly, and bought my first LP, a Billie Joe Armstrong signature, a few weeks ago.

The other low goal was the Player Plus Telecaster I mentioned in an earlier post. Rather than buying another off-the-shelf guitar, I've decided to have a bit of fun with this one instead: I'm planning an epic Telecaster build, inspired by the very limited and hard to find Avril Lavigne Squier Artist telecaster - but this one certainly won't be a Squier.

The plan is a Candy Apple Red Fender Telecaster body, with a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker bridge pickup. No neck pickup (unless I can find one that can be suitably hidden behind the pickguard - as I want the clean look). I'm trying to see if there's a way I can route the output jack to the front face instead of out the bottom - which would mean a single knob - if I do it that way, I want to try to build it with a push-pull knob for volume/tone. It's also gonna be a bit different in that it uses a strat bridge (true to the sig I want to replicate). All other parts will be as visually close to that Squier artist model (I've got the parts list) - but if there's a Fender model (or better) that looks visually identical, it will use those instead.

The only thing I'm having a hard time deciding on is the neck, because I have been completely unable to get the signature neck with that fretboard inlay. It'll probably be a rosewood fretboard, the main must is it has to be satin not thick polyurethane, the question is just whether to go for a $300 neck or a $1200 neck.

The aim is to probably aim to start building this somewhere around October, with a build budget of about $2k, depending on which neck I go with. A little bit more than buying a Player Plus.

So yeah, hopefully this can be a fun project.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022 at 10:45 PM
  15. Franc

Franc Member

Thats similar to my goal - I bought a cheap pacifica 012 here (or its a 112, I always get them mixed up have both) that im going to sand back replace pretty much everything else with quality and convenience parts and also spray with candy apple red with metallic flecks. Possibly leds and things as well.

I know I could just buy a kit, but if im using this theres already lists of parts that suit.

I love projects like this even if i cant play well at all.