OCAU HWBOT TEAM (members subscribe to this thread)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Muzwa Kai, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muzwa Kai

Muzwa Kai Member

[​IMG]
    LOOK HERE if you don't know about the HWBOT worldwide overclocker rankings
    this thread is for all OCAU HWBOT TEAM discussions

if members can subscribe to this thread so you see what other members are up to.
    post submissions, scores and points etc in this thread instead of all over the forums, and we can discuss a bit more without being off topic.

here is our team profile: overclockers australia (OCAU)

if you're not on the team but wish to contribute your best benchmark results to the team's points (and of course your own), just create a hwbot profile and join the OVERCLOCKERS AUSTRALIA (OCAU) team HERE

WARNING
    DO NOT cheat guys! anyone found cheating will be kicked

a complete list of benchmarks supported by hwbot: HERE
    it also shows whether or not points are available (hwboints)

HWBOT has the largest database of overclocking results in the world: BROWSE RESULTS

(i recommend checking out the WORLD RECORDS. some of these guys are crazy)

Join the OCAU TEAM group chat on MSN
    JOIN HERE
    ALBA will approve you once he gets your request.​
    PM ALBA for the team e-mail address (as we only want people in teamOCAU to know it to avoid spam)
    If you send an e-mail to this address, everyone in the team will receive it.
    Its a good idea if you all get a mic if you don't already have one. And make sure it works.
    voice chat is a work in progress

Member Of The Month August

t8y made 19 submissions, worth 93.4 points

Top 5 Most Active Members In The Past Month

Ando: 10 submissions worth 80.9 points.
    t8y: 14 submissions worth 76.9 points.
    OverPAQ'd: 22 submissions worth 29.8 points.
    fatboynotsoslim: 6 submissions worth 21.9 points.
    yawnie: 48 submissions worth 20.9 points.

CHECK OUT HWBOT COMPETITIONS HERE

cool prizes available​

OCAU TWEAKS and SETTINGS​

post your tweaks so we can discuss/add them to the list

general benching (used for all benchmarks)

1 - close/disable/stop as many processes and services as possible using task manager
    2 - for 3D, change all 3D control panel settings to lowest detail
    3 - remember that screenshots are required for your submissions. usually CPU-Z (two instances) with CPU tab and MEMORY tab for 2D benching. include GPU-Z in your screenshot for 3D benching. be sure to have your results clearly visible. check the rules for specifics for each benchmark. read rules HERE
    4 - save your screen shots to a flash drive - that way if you corrupt/fry a HDD/SSD you will still have your screens ;)
    5 - always use a clean OS and do some research into what OS is the best for what benchmarks. If possible get your hands on a stripped down copy.

ALBA's tips​

1 - results are categorised, so you don't need the most expensive hardware to score well. these will most likely be hardware points you receive. global points are overall position regardless of hardware used. then world record bonus points where only the elite will score points.
    2 - more points are available with the most popular hardware.
    3 - also can members please have a link in their sig to the OCAU HWBOT TEAM page to allow people to look at whats going on over @ hwbot.org and our team more easily. use this link: http://hwbot.org/community/team/overclockers_australia_ocau
    4 - run superPI in XP in safe mode, same goes for Wprime.

SNAPPY'S tips​

1 - clock it like you stole it, DON'T be afraid to pump in big v core and vtt for short periods. eg Vantage cpu tests, your cpu may finish the tests with 1.4v, but try 1.45v and then check your score, it will be higher.
    2 - turn everything off you can, I don't have the net connected when seriously benching, I screenshot and upload via a lappy.
    3 - just because your cpu or gpu will run at a certain freq doesn't mean it's stable, always check freq to scores, sometimes you will get a better score at slightly lower clocks.
    4 - uncore, always max uncore freq.
    5 - latencies, know your ram before you bench, know what timings to use at what speeds , use the Eva2000 system.

generally its easier to score more points with a good, more recent cpu and a popular video card for 3d benching (not necessarily new), like the nvidia 8800 series

benchmark specific tweaks (maybe coming soon)

windows OS and benchmark comparison (thanks for the link gazza30)

2D (cpu) benching

superpi 32m benching methods
    by SniperOZ

Tweaks For Running SuperPi 32m

Waza or Copy-Waza is more a method than an app

The method is to have two partitions on a drive, then you make a large compressed file say 1.2g (size varies ) then you copy that to the other partition (you can also try coping it back and forth over writing CDT) then when its finished the first thing that you run is Super pi 32m, windows will give you all it's resources and memory to run SuperPi and your time should be better.......... Thats a very rough explanation but thats the basics, you should be able to find a more in depth explanation at the link i provided below.
    What OCX Spi tweaker does, is do all this nice and easy, and you can change the sizes very quickly.

* The other main tweaks are, run winXP (I use SP3 although a lot like SP2 or Win server 2003)
    * Run in ....debug mode ....with a ......maxmem of 600-680 ....(msconfig)
    * In most cases with the new hardware select ........no page file
    * And select .....system cache ......under memory usage
    * Try runing only one or two cores....if two or more cores used, set priority to the second core(1)
    * Try running Superpi in real time
    * Open Spi 32m and get it ready to run
    * Then run waza (OCX Spi Tweaker) different OS's will react with different settings so you will need to experiment on your system
    * But make sure that SPi is open and ready to run so all you do is one click to start the calculations

and your good to go....... Happy Benching

Its also a good idea when testing the above tweaks, to leave your CPU overclock at a set point 4ghz is generally used, this way any tweaks are noticed and any problems with your tweaks or timings are not mistaken for CPU Overclock problems, then when your happy with efficiency and your timings are stable, you move onto your CPU overclock and give it a go.

The above is a very very basc outline to what i do, there are a lot of other tweaks and methods, but this is what works for me. http://www.ocxtreme.org/forumenus/showthread.php?t=3469

All credit for OCX Spi Tweaker to Monteboy over at OCXtreme Overclocking Forum

AND REMEMBER ALL SYSTEMS ARE DIFFERENT SO TRY ALTERNATE SETTINGS

superpi 1m
    - disable HT and clock it up
    - disable cores (only use one or two)

superpi 32m
    - disable HT and clock it up
    - disable cores (only use one or two)
    - use a cpu with as much cache as possible

CPU-Z
    - all you have to do is validate your system
    - clock the s#!t outta it

wprime 32m
    - set thread count in settings and save (equal to CPU specs)
    - enable HT

wprime 1024m
    - set thread count in settings and save (equal to CPU specs)
    - enable HT

3D (video card) benching

huge video card bios collection

3Dmark 2001 SE - guide
    - only use winXP

3Dmark 03
    - no cpu test (lower max cpu temps) increase vcore and clock it up

3Dmark 05
    - no cpu test (lower max cpu temps) increase vcore and clock it up

3Dmark 06
    - very cpu dependent so use a good cpu (no dual cores)
    - multithreaded so you'll want a cpu with HT

3Dmark vantage - performance
    - do not post scores with physx enabled

aquamark 3
    - set the affinity to all cores by renaming the .exe from Aquamark.exe to Renamed.exe (any name) otherwise only one core is used
    - win7 64-bit patch

voltmodding 101
    by muzwa kai

you will be soldering a multiturn variable resistor between the feedback pin on the voltage control chip/ic and a ground point​

occasionally a vmod will differ from this typical setup​

stuff you need

> soldering iron with stand and sponge - small tip, low power
    > wire - rip apart an old lan cable for single core wire, or use any very thin wire
    > solder - the thinner the better
    > small flat screwdriver
    > desolder braid - absorbs melted solder if you use too much
    > multimeter
    > wire cutters or small pliers
    > stand with clamps (something to hold your wire with so you have two hands free)
    > magnifying glass
    > VR's (variable resistors) also called trimpots or potentiometers. multiturn ones are best for fine voltage adjustment. you will need a multiturn variable resistor for every voltmod. the guide will tell you which one you need. common ones needed are 1k, 10k, 20k, 100k (measured in ohms)

find a volt mod guide specific to your card. you will need high-res pics of where to solder​

soldering methods

if you havent soldered before, practice on dead hardware. try soldering wires to the components on it, and rip them off so you get an idea of how strong your soldering is. try to solder to smaller and smaller things as you improve (just make sure you are soldering to exposed solder on the components)

> use a stand with clamps whenever you are soldering components (not on the card) - you need free hands
    > do this before soldering every component: melt solder onto the iron's tip, and wipe it off on the wet sponge. this gives the soldering iron a nice tip to solder with.
    > tin your wire and connections - melt solder onto the ends of wires coating them with it (not a blob, but enough to melt it to your card)
    > when you have your tinned wire in place hold soldering iron on the wire until the tinned end melts. remove iron and let it set. DONE!
    > the solder on some video cards is a lot harder to melt than others. if you can't melt the solder on the card, the wire should still tac on ok. better to melt the solder on the card too if possible for a stronger contact.

the mod

> the variable resistor has a small screw to adjust the resistance with your small flat screwdriver. reducing the resistance increases the voltage
    > a VR has three pins. use the middle one and one on the end. i like to cut the third one off so its not in the way. each end pin has opposite resistance. as one goes up, the other goes down, and vica versa. know which way to turn the VR for the one you use. use a multimeter set to ohms (resistance) to check
    > always set your VR to its highest resistance before soldering. otherwise your voltage will be high and can kill the card
    > always secure your mod. use glue or similar to stick the VR to your card. a loose mod can easily short something and kill your card
    > use a 4 pin plug off a dead PSU for your read points. the multimeter probe will sit in it nicely to measure your gpu/mem voltage. just solder a wire from the plug to the read point on the card

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. Ando420

Ando420 Member

LN2 TIPS & TRICKS

links:

k|ngp|n - Motherboard preperation and installation using a LN2/DI unit the clean and easy way

sno.lcn - Subzero Cooling Insulation Guide

nolonger - Frozen Path Subzero Guide

GAZZA30's Subzero Cooling Insulation Guide

Hey chaps was just prepping my Gigabyte X48 to apply a clear coat to give greater protection when under sub zero conditions
    Things you will need
    1. Roll of tape , masking tape, electrical tape or whatever you have
    2. Tin of Servisol protective circuit board lacquer from Jaycar
    3. A well ventilated place to spray coating on

Ok well heres the board first things first strip the board of any heat sinks most boards use Philips head screws and the hated pushpins style plastic pins.

[​IMG]

Now its time to tape up those important bits remember to check and double check you have everything taped up.

[​IMG]

Here it is taped up and looky here circled in red below the ram slot is a fan header that i accidently left uncovered

[​IMG]

I actually sprayed the board like this but hey no problem either scratch the coating off with a pen knife when dry or use a cotton tip and some acetone or nail polish remover .
    Another member who shall remain unnamed (Yumunsa) hehehe got some Lacquer in one of the ram slots but after some carefull work with the wifes toothbrush and some acetone managed to remove the offending lacquer borking his ram slot and all was good.

Now i like to apply 2 lite coats to the front and the back of the board the coats don’t take long to dry so should only take a couple of hours. I like to leave the board overnight to let the lacquer cure a bit and then its time to reassemble.

[​IMG]

My heatsinks have a thermal pad which you can reuse if your carefull but i like to remove the north and south bridge pads and use a quality thermal paste. I like to make sure its a paste thats not electrically conductive just in case so i used some MX4 that i had this time.

[​IMG]

Now because i removed the NB and SB pads off the heat sinks it is essential that you check that the heatsinks still make good contact to the NB and SB chips as youll see in the next pic contact is sweet so go ahead and fit them .

[​IMG]

Job done so get benching Dont forget to add artist erasor arround the socket area i'll add some more pic later on how i go about it.

[​IMG]

"I know how to do it and have everything I need, where do I start?"

1 - Ok...settle down for a sec and double check every thing you have against what you will/might need. I know you are probs super keen and eager to get COLD :p BUT......this will save you time, Ln2 and fustration in the long run ;)

You will/might need: (besides LN2 & HW to bench :p)

- Enough space to comfortably and safely bench (for you and HW)

- Atleast 1x digital temp probe

- Atleast 1x digital multimeter

- Atleast 2x Thermos (to pour LN2 from)

- Hair dryer or blow torch

- Heaps of paper towl or tp

2 - Make sure you have a ruff idea of what your CPU, GPU, RAM and mobo will do before putting it under cold, this is only to give you a good starting point to work from and also makes it alot easier to diagnose problems when you can eliminate a possible cause earlier, this will also save you time, Ln2 and fustration in the long run ;)

3 - Make sure you have good insulation/fans and have done as much as you can to stop water/moisture getting in and wrecking your fun!

4 - Start slow!!

5 - boot it up and let the temps settle in BIOS with little to no cold.

6 - bring it down 10c at a time to around 0c to -10. Each chip will be different but this will be a good starting point....after that you will need to find what the chip does and doesnt like as you go (ie, Cold boot bugs & cold bugs) so start at this and work your way down as you get the feel for it.

6.1 - (CBB) Cold boot bug: This varies from chip to chip with Intel (AMD CPU's have no cold bug), this is why you must have a digital temp probe. A particular chip may boot at -50 but not -55. You will need to work out what your chip likes. You can use a hair dryer or a blow torch to warm up your pot to get it back to boot temp if needed.

6.2 - (CB) Cold bug: CPU's will also cold bug in windows, idle and load. This temp will be lower than the boot bug but it adds another twist into Overclocking as now when you have a crash you have to figure out if the CPU is unstable or cold bugged or maybe a bit of both.

7 - Dont put to much in the pot to fast or you will get huge temp swings.....all pots are different but you will work out how much to put in each time to keep it where you want it. Just do a little splash at a time and wait a few sec after each splash for temps to drop and level out, you can always put more in if you need to, You cant take any out tho ;)

8 - Keep an eye on the temps as its easy to lose concentration and the temp can go up fast in some tests and even faster again with some chips.

9 - Most of all......HAVE FUN! :):thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    Muzwa Kai

Muzwa Kai Member

cool. this type of thread here always fails as there are not many active members. i can't bench atm because we were hit by the floods, and had to buy a laptop instead of overclocking gear :(
    do you have aircon? i wanna duct into radiator or aircooled case :D

4. Ando420

Ando420 Member

hahaha not in my benching room :( lol

5. OP
    OP
    Muzwa Kai

Muzwa Kai Member

hey ando, whats that evga p55 board like? ive got an msi gd65, asus p7p55d and my benching asus p7p55d-e deluxe. its heaps better than the gigabyte p55 ud6 i swapped it for (same price). im kind of a p55 slut i guess :lol:
    never tried an evga mobo though. gd65 has limited bclk compared to p7p55d for similar price. no dramas with the deluxe at all yet with vapochill and i7 870. one of the best boards ive had. i use the msi board for my gaming rig as the second pci-e slot is faster than the p7p55d afaik

edit:
    gd65 bclk goes to nearly 210mhz. lame
    p7p55d bclk goes to about 220. not bad
    p7p55d-e deluxe to over 230mhz

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  6. Smakked

Smakked Member

Joined up, no idea what for i dont really bench much

7. Ando420

Ando420 Member

Dude I was the exact same!! But I LOVE this board!and am happy I went for it! its just soooo smick for overclockers!! It seems to boot ALL the time!! its the best board I have used (bar the giga mobo in gooc 2010 witch was on par with overclocking but maybe not features). The switch to swap between the 3 BIOS's works fantastic and I use it alot!! the vregs run nice and cool even when getting flogged! I have hit 210 Bclk with only 1.35vtt (and probs didnt even beed that) and havent pushed it any more then that - but it runs @ 200Bclk 24/7 with 1.28vtt.
    All up man I really recomend this mobo!!! :):thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    Muzwa Kai

Muzwa Kai Member

sweeeeet

bios switch sounds cool. my p55 deluxe has over voltage switches. 3 of them, for cpu, ram and vtt. cant do without power, reset and clear cmos switches anymore.
    lol the p55 deluxe seems to boot all the time too, hahaha

9. t8y

t8y Member

ah okay, good idea on the thread.
    i signed up last week, added a few results from my gaming boxes.

should have some more scores rolling in soon, have a dedicated benching rig in the build this weekend.
    just waiting on cpu and mobo, some more gpus

10. OP
    OP
    Muzwa Kai

Muzwa Kai Member

thanks t8y. it gets pretty addictive once you start getting some points and climbing the ranks. what benching hardware you getting?

nice clocks on your 5850 btw, just saw your profile
    edit: did you have to use a memory vmod to get 1300 or just water? mine only does like 1200mhz

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  11. t8y

t8y Member

cheers..
    going the ud7 p67 board, chip undecided due to stocks etc.. ideally 2600k, will see. will re-use current ripjaws ram for now also. gpus undecided, probably 69xx series.
    atm i have psu, the mdf bench case i made, a spare hdd, some of the watercooling for the cpu only loop.. as said its in progress lol.

nah 1300 mem didnt take any actual mods. its the hard limit in afterburner, it seems. no idea if it will do more. core is at its max at 1066 though.
    i did re-flash the bios to another when i had some card issues, but card was doing same clocks prior to that.
    id love to get the 5850 outta that pc and really push it on a more modern setup but with the water loop, its pretty well tied to where it is for now.. gives this 5870 a hiding lol

12. OP
    OP
    Muzwa Kai

Muzwa Kai Member

cool. here is my 5850 3d06 score. 27924
    with sandy bridge you'll kick its ass. i got like nearly 11 points for it too.
    i might have to revisit mem clocks

13. Alba

Alba Member

Great thread Muz.

Maybe you should mention in the OP that you don't need the latest and greatest gear to score well in HWBOT and that older gear more often scores better. In either case you score better with popular gear, the larger the pool the greater the points available.

Well you know how it works, but it might be worth a mention to entice more people in without them thinking they need to have high end or spend big to take part.

Maybe even ask all OCAU HWBOT members to put a link in their sig like mine so it gets seen more often throughout OCAU.

That's the type of dedication I love to see:thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  14. t8y

t8y Member

yeah, just racked up more points on some i3-530 cpu based benches than anything else sofar.. makes me wish id hung onto some older hardware aswell, especially gpus (to use in modern systems to max a score in its category or something)

heh, cheers alba.
    hoping to have it fit for duty before end of feb, if so, i will have a crack at the 'initial k' hwbot comp thats about to start

its mostly so i dont go killing my gaming machines.. as hardware failures ALWAYS tend to coincide with upcoming LANs, prompting last minute rebuilds lol.

15. OP
    OP
    Muzwa Kai

Muzwa Kai Member

goin hard t8y!

thanks alba. i added a section 'alba's tips'. let me know if you wanna add/change it

16. Tosh1R

Tosh1R Member

hey guys, only made a few submissions, still gotta get my vantage and '06 runs up on hwbot.. also does anyone know why i didnt get any points for my mark 11 submission? i have the 2nd ranked GTX570 in mark 11 on hwbot and recieved no points for the submission.. :confused:

17. OP
    OP
    Muzwa Kai

Muzwa Kai Member

no points available for 11 yet here is a list of benchmarks and whether there are points available or not (hwboints).
    also i noticed you made a vantage submission last week and lost the points because you used physx in your run. doh!
    rules are listed if you click on the benchmark name in the link i just supplied. also usually a specific version of the benchmark is required too :thumbup:

18. Tosh1R

Tosh1R Member

yeah i realised what happened there after it was too late.. by my next visit to the site mods had removed it and didnt give me a chance to edit and re-submit.. ahwell what can you do, i know to read the rules properly for each bench before submtting now lol.

19. Yamunsa

Yamunsa Member

hey muz great work on the thread! i was thinking of starting something like this for bench tweeks to share tips for the team... it was after posting in the aquamark thread about how to enable all cpu cores for the test. would it be worth adding something like that to the op as a source to reference?

i'm hoping to spend some time with my 580 tomorrow and push you off that second spot lol. i'm still smarting with alba racing ahead last month and now a new platform has come out!!

luckly we've not been hit with the flooding up here so far.. and i'm sorry to hear that you caught a whack. if your short on some play kit i've got a few bits your welcome to spend some loan time with?

as mentioned above most of my points have come off the back offa older gpus. it'd be great to see some grass roots members join the team. subzero is still daunting for me and its important to note that points can easily be scored without the mega expencive gear.

20. Alba

Alba Member

Good idea Yamunsa, write up a guide on AM, it will help a lot of people out just like you helped me out with it.

Here's a good link for running 3DM2001SE.
    Click me

A bit more difficult to run these days as most of us use W7 and most benching scores better with XP.
    The only time we need W7 is for DX10/11 and if using more than 2 cards.
    If you have a spare HDD and your keen, then sure, go for it.

We don't expect anyone to format their daily PC's just to get better scores, we just want people to do the best they can with what they've got, no matter how fast, slow, new or old it is.

Any links or tweaks we come up with need to posted in the OP under the correct benchmark for easy reference.
    So if someone wants to bench 3DM03 for eg, they can look at the OP, scroll down to the 3DM03 section, read the tips and guides and away they go.
    This will make it much easier for people to get the best start, using known tweaks for each different benchmark.
    Each benchmark responds differently to tweaks, so what works for one may not work for another.
    For us that have been benching for a while know some or a lot of these tweaks with various hardware.
    It will make it more enticing for new people to join in if we all share what we have learned over the years rather than them having to learn it all from scratch which can take a very long time or maybe never.

We also need to focus on the benchmarks that score points. Sure the ones that don't score can be fun, but your time is better spent on the ones that do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.