OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. mr626

mr626 Member

Yes, I think the Silver label ones are my favourite. I've got a 'newer' white label (1990) and a Silver label (1986), and of the two the Silver label board seems to be of slightly better build quality (mainly in terms of how the casing fits together). The fact that its bolt modded does help too!

One slight disappointment is that the Silver label isn't actually metal, despite some sites claiming that it is.

I haven't yet tried a 'blue label' one (made by Lexmark, early 1990s to early 2000s, from memory), but the 122 key board I have on the way is Lexmark made so I'll be able to compare quality there.

2. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

I have the CM Storm trigger and it just about ticks all your boxes except for the tactile keys. They have cherry blacks and don't have much tactile feedback due to the blacks being linear switches. But they are backlit and have 2 USB ports. build quality is decent, not quite as good as the Razer but i couldn't stand the blues (plus the trigger is a bit cheaper).

Starting to wonder if i shouldn't have waited to import a trigger version with browns as the two aus stores that stock the trigger atm only have blacks.

3. dickenz

dickenz Member

Reags,

Coolermaster have a brand new mechanical keyboard that fits your requirements: CoolerMaster Storm Trigger. Came out like 2 days ago. Check it out.

Cheers.

EDIT: Post #1 - da fuck?

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

Oh COW doesn't count posts in the for sale section. Possible that this is your first post outside there?

5. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

I'm so close to buying a Topre... Anyone know if this kb uses the newer (though they may be considered old to people who keep up to date with these things) silent switches from Topre?

Also anyone moved from Blackwidow to the capacitive kb's before? They seem to be on fairly opposite ends of the spectrum, I had a short playaround with my friend's HHKB but couldn't come to a decision about whether I liked them or not. :(

6. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

going from anything to topre: Fucking bliss.
    *melts*

7. cleeoo

cleeoo Member

What type of switches did your Blackwidow have? I know some of them are blue, but I think there is a version that is black? Not sure about that, but I had a MX Cherry blue keyboard before I got my Topre. At first I found it very strange, and kind took a lot longer to adapt than I thought it would, but I think I much prefer it now.

At the end of the day though, all of this is personal preference. You really have to try for yourself. The thing is though, if you don't like it, I'm sure you will be able to sell it on for not too much of a loss.

Edit: spelling error...

8. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Most are blue, some a brown.
    Topres are what Browns wish they were.

9. jtir

jtir Member

10. ReKleSS

ReKleSS Member

Been using my new HHKB for a few hours. Initially the space bar was feeling a bit too sharp, so I used the same fix as Filcos - flipped it around. Looks weird, but very comfortable.

I'm absolutely loving the key feel. Been playing typeracer again just so I have something to type. Unfortunately it's making my Thinkpad keyboards feel a bit mushy.

I've still got my eye on that yellow Majestouch at APCM for some reason.

11. cleeoo

cleeoo Member

Good to hear you're enjoying the HHKB! :thumbup: I think the timing that that came out in the FS section was terrible for me... If it had come out a couple of weeks earlier, or maybe a month or two later, I would've jumped at it straight away... I'm sure I'll get one eventually, maybe later in the year...

Just use your HHKB on the thinkpads as well? :p

12. dickenz

dickenz Member

It is indeed. Thanks for explaining Uchuujin.

13. ReKleSS

ReKleSS Member

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a thin, light laptop. Also, I have a pair of Thinkpad USB keyboards which are awesome for the trackpoint but are now probably not going to see much use.

Anyway, using a regular layout now, it's not tripping me up too badly. Things might be more interesting after a weekend of using the HHKB. It would be pretty cool to have a white blank HHKB and a grey blank HHKB....

14. strafe

strafe Member

15. neurotech

neurotech Member

Typing this on my brand new FC500R with browns! Feels amazing - I can't go back to anything else now.

16. kazen

kazen (Banned or Deleted)

17. oriphin

oriphin Member

Man i miss that board already, knew i should not have sold it lol

18. mehkat

mehkat (Banned or Deleted)

19. Deanemau5

Deanemau5 Member

I'm looking for a smaller MKB, main requirements are it needs to be backlit, wired and a reasonable size as I don't have a huge area on my desk. I'm thinking around 45cm would be perfect. It's mainly for Diablo (I realise it's not a keyboard intensive game) but I will also use it for a bit of Quake.

Any suggestions?

20. Bertross

Bertross Member