OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

2. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Did this come with multicoloured alpha key caps or juat plain white? If you get some PBT caps I'd be keen on the old ones if they're the rainbow set :thumbup:

3. Surreal4

Surreal4 Member

Understand this key cap is extremely rare, but why does it warrant that significant amount of money?

4. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Extreme rareness and the quality mainly. Geekhackers go nuts over them, hence need to flip it on them.

5. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I think a review is in order bud :thumbup:

6. millsy

millsy Member

Man and I thought people who bought hats in TF2 were nuts...

I realllllllllly don't see the appeal here

7. flagger

flagger Member

If you get it, please let me know if it has the US style key layout (small enter key with the \ key above it). I can't stand UK layout :mad:

From the picture provided it looks like UK layout...but stores tend to just use stock photos, so it could be a US style layout...

8. Domokun

Domokun Member

OK, the mechanical keyboard from Mwave has turned up. It is a relabelled I-Rocks KR6251 (which — after a quick search — sells for $135 AUD on Ebay). It's a very basic package. It comes in a plain white cardboard box with no accessories (such as a PS/2 adapter and keycap tool) apart from a summarised manual. The mechanical keyboard itself is quite solid but lacks premium features which would be included on more expensive products (such as full backlighting and etched keycaps). It is advertised as being "gaming" orientated, but — apart from the black Cherry MX switches — there is nothing to suggest this is the case. There is no wrist pad, no game mode (where the WINDOWS key is disabled), and no media keys (for increasing/decreasing volume, playing/pausing/skipping songs). As I mentioned earlier, it doesn't have full backlighting, but it does have backlighting on the CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK, and SCROLL LOCK keys. As for the layout, it appears to be the U.S layout, but has a double-sized ENTER key, half-size BACKSPACE key, and relocated BACKSLASH key.

[​IMG]

I hope that helps. If you have any additional questions, let me know.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  9. millsy

millsy Member

Looks pretty good for 50 bucks! I might pick one up for work, they're a fair bit quieter than blue hey. I work in a quiet office so don't want to piss anyone off too much

10. Linkin

Linkin Member

Crappy keyboard layout... small backspace key.

11. Domokun

Domokun Member

Yeah, it's not ideal, but I can't say I use the BACKSLASH key a whole lot unless I'm using escape sequences within code. In addition, there are other more expensive mechanical keyboards (such as the SteelSeries 6G V2) which also have creative placement of the BACKSLASH key.

12. Anomalous

Anomalous Member

Are those camouflage Filco TKL boards still available anywhere?

13. Tycn

Tycn Member

14. Alson

Alson Member

I just received the Cherry 3800 MX keyboard with Blues that somebody mentioned a few pages back (http://linkecomputer.com/search/?kw=...departmentid=0). My first mechanical keyboard, pretty amazed with how it feels.

Only issue with this keyboard is the lack of grip. With it's legs not extended, the keyboard slides around quite a bit. With it's legs out, there's no grip at all.

Coming from a wireless keyboard, the wire is starting to become an eyesore :mad:

15. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

So worth it for never having to change batteries imo. My fav keyboard ever was from the MS Wireless Desktop Elite bundle (had a really nice wrist rest and just the right number of useful function keys) but changing the batteries all the time gave me the shits. Still tempted to take it apart and try to hard wire mod it lol.

16. Alson

Alson Member

Well the last keyboard I used (Logitech K340) I owned for probably a good 2-3 years..I never changed the battery. It was still using the batteries that came with the keyboard. :leet:

Found another annoyance. I know my bass might be a bit much usually, but the keyboard rattles near the spacebar when the speakers are on...seems like it's not perfectly built around that area

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  17. Perko

Perko Member

The main difference between these cheaper ones and the "usual" ones is keycaps and PCB mounted switches, yes?

What is the difference in feel between PCB mounted switches and plate mounted ones? Is it really defined? Are the medium-stiff/stiff switches more defined with this?

I don't know anyone with experience with the newer PCB mounted ones, let alone with experience in both.

18. StreekG

StreekG Member

Currently type/game on browns here at home.
    Type on blacks at work.

Soon to have MX greens, wonder where i'll end up using it lol.

19. mehkat

mehkat (Banned or Deleted)

plate mounted just feel a bit more solid as you would expect. With PCB mounted switches there can be a little bit of flex but I can't say I have noticed it myself, although I guess this also depends on how heavy you type - if I apply a lot of pressure to they keys on my poker there is some flex but I never notice it unless I am doing that and I only ever did it to see if I could notice flexing

PCB has the added advantage that the switches are much easier to mod in that you can pop the top off with a screw driver and change the springs, to do this with a plate mounted board requires a lot of soldering.

PCB boards are also a lot lighter, so it's much better for small portable boards like the Poker.

I wouldn't let it influence my decision when buying a keyboard, if you see something you really like the look of don't worry too much about how the switches are mounted

20. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Might be of interested to you lot:

http://imgur.com/a/6hqp4

This is a Cherry G80-8200 USB. It's a 136-key mechanical keyboard with a card reader designed for point of sale usage. When it arrived at my work on a truck from a public university (their book store, specifically), I immediately called dibs and bought it for $6.37, untested, from the employee purchase program.