OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

I learnt to type in year 8 - mechanical typewriters don't have palm wrests. Besides, for better ergonomics....

2. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

In the market for a Model M but before I get one i'm considering the topre real force 87u and unicomp classic. Model m seems to be easier to source locally so I'm wondering if it's worth the wait to order a topre at 3 times the price of a Model M? Can anyone speak from experience having used both? Also are there any substitutes at this level?

3. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

I've used both and definitely prefer the Realforce's smooth actuation over the sharp/crude feeling Model M's actuation; it's too subjective when it comes to this type of thing.

4. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Anyone here have a Leopold FC900R? Thoughts?

Also, anyone gone from blue switches to reds? Which one did you prefer/why?

5. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Yep, I have a palm rest for each of my 4? 5? Duckys. Another reason I keep buying Duckys :thumbup:

+1 :)

Lol I learned piano for quite a few years and still rest my wrists on my keyboard's palm rest, despite the best efforts my piano teacher making me play while holding oranges in each hand to try and keep me from playing sloppy :lol:

Only just saw your actual post - I would recommend you try each out for a reasonable time (daily use for 1+ month) before you shell out big $. I've done this a few times and every time I end up disappointed.

Model M is my ideal board, except it needs a Windows key. So I forked out and bought one from Unicomp. "It's the same as the original" they said. "But with 104 keys" they said "and USB" they said.

And it was nowhere near the same feel as the original :upset:

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

I suppose I'm lucky, it feels really uncomfortable for me to drop my wrists.

7. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

Bought a ducky one full size keyboard. Wondering if anyone could link where i could buy a better high quality keycap set for it?

0Dey likes this.
  8. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

Check out www.massdrop.com they have custom keycaps on there all the time. There is also a sub section on reddit for selling kepcaps, so maybe check that out as well.

9. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

you didn't just go for a Ducky one PBT?

10. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

Posted this in the 'what/where to buy thread' and then found this post so thought might be better posted here.

Using a Corsair K70 with cherry reds currently for gaming and very happy with it but kind of want to try out a TKL keyboard since they're a bit smaller and I rarely use the numpad.

Been glancing over the K65, Logitech G Pro, Ducky One, Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S amongst others.

Not overly fussed about back lighting but would be nice to have I guess. Also not a fan of gamer type fonts on the key caps. Like it pretty standard.

Suggestions?

11. Spork!

Spork! Member

I have 2 Cooler Master TKL boards and very happy them both. Seldom miss having a numpad. Frequently happy to have more mouse-space on my desk.

12. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Cannot go wrong with the big brands, boards are nice and you get all the fancy lighting.

However if you want something with a bit more personality check out the custom ones in https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/

I have a cheap drevo gramr with some Double shot PBT keycaps, build was $80 total and enjoy it alot.

13. chi

chi Member

Anyone looking into the Hako switches? Thinking of grabbing some myself.

14. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

15. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

After recently getting into PUBG it's starting to get uncomfortable playing any extended time on my Logitech K400 Plus multimedia keyboard, lol. Just ordered a Corsair K63 TKL. Looking forward to it!

16. riccoo

riccoo Member

Gents and Ladies, I want to buy a Mechanical KB and well I am not to sure what to get, I will mainly be using it for gaming.

that stuff that I will need on the KB

Buttons
    unpluggable usb cable from the KB
    ability to change the keycaps to custom ones
    possibly RGB backlight <-- doesn't need to be but sweet if it does

I am not sure what mx colour keys to go for

17. yoink

yoink Member

What is your rough budget?

18. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

most keyboards have standard sized keycaps but a few of the mainstream boards don't, the other thing you'll want to make sure is that they have cherry or costar stabilizers (which is nearly all of them, but there's a few cheap boards with wire stabilizers and you won't be able to change those keys). I don't think they make artisan keycaps for adults but there are plenty complete keycap sets to choose from. For the switch, if you don't know what to get then cherry browns are a safe bet IMO.

19. riccoo

riccoo Member

thinki
    around $250 mx

20. riccoo

riccoo Member

yer I think the razer ones don't have standard keycaps