OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I think you will find once you start using better switches your opinions on Romer G's would change. Browns are ok. But damn there are some nice switches out there. These tealios are truly heaven.

2. Moarkill

Moarkill Member

Ive used many switches. I like the Kailh box switches also. They are nice. . Have browns, blues and clears at the moment. I just like the stability of the caps on my romer g board. I have the tacticle romer Gs and not the linear ones which feel too mushy for me. . Its not my main board by any means but i like it alot for typing.

SSJ4 likes this.
  3. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Thats the beautiful thing about this hobby. It's preference. While I am surprised youve tried other switches, particularly the box switches and still like the romer g's. It's all about what feels good to the hands.

4. Moarkill

Moarkill Member

The browns are my favorite on the Pok3r they feel great. I am looking forward to building my own soon. Maybe for my birthday. That way I can try something different as far as switches go.

I wish there was an Australian based supplier that had local stock. Not many left that actually hold any amount of stock on shore. Hopefully now that Amazon is getting bigger we will have more access in a shorter time for postage

5. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Australian based? well you happen to be in luck. This is the best supplier in OZ and I happen to know him.

https://dailyclack.com/

He doesnt stock everything. But he is incredibly handy for a few things, I buy lube from him pretty often.I buy all my other parts from KBDfans with has never let me down.

Also if you are looking for a new switch research 'Holy Pandas' regarded as the best tactile switch in the world. And are available on MAssdrop for the first time ever, right now. These switches have alot of history worth a read.

6. xok

xok Member

So the spacebar in my Pok3r shit itself today and my attempt at soldering on a replacement failed. I can swap a working key onto the actual socket on the PCB but it still doesn't activate. Would ideally like to get it working but might just sell it for parts.

I've bought an Anne Pro 2 with red Gaterons. I'm wondering if that's the best option or if I should consider something different. Tenkeyless or 60%, and I'd much prefer a white KB.

7. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

When the eff did Corsair keyboards get so expensive? I bought my K90 years ago for around $100, I figured after such a long time I might get a new board. Since none of their models seem to come with macro & media keys except their K95 versions, I looked that up and they are over $250. What. The. Fuck.

8. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Gamer tax

macktheknife likes this.
  9. 7nothing

7nothing Member

So I did search but... thread does span over a decade. Looking for a quiet, plain, mech keyboard with at least 1 USB passthru. Readily available in AU somewhere would be good to.

Current recommendations?

Never did much typing at home on old Logitech G110, did notice I'd miss the G when typing "ping" 60% of the time, work keyboard was a standard lenovo OEM. Going to new job, couldn't find anything appealing so I took the G110 in, USB passthru was a must, bought a Logitech G910 for home. Fuck all the flashy LED stuff, but it sure makes obvious how crap the G110 is to type on. Sounds like the G910 isn't particularly loud by mech standards but I'd want even quieter for work.

10. Perko

Perko Member

Matias Quiet Pro? Don't know how available they are now though.

11. 7nothing

7nothing Member

That was the name that did come up when I was searching the thread :) Could only see the Mac edition (and out of stock) at umart, the mini one at auspcmarket and pre-order on mwave...

12. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Hmmmm nothing I'd recommend will have passthrough USB :(

13. 7nothing

7nothing Member

Seems like the world should be able to give me a single usb 2 port, but what's good (plain and quiet being the main objective, happy enough with romer-g feel) otherwise?

Supposedly we're hot-desking, and I wanted mouse unifying receiver to be connected to keyboard, but so far have managed to hot-the-same-desk for enough days straight that I could just put the mouse receiver in a dock and forget about it.

14. Ogre

Ogre Member

If you don't mind the romer-g stuff, what about the G413?

You mentioned unifying receiver so I will assume it is a logitech mouse, have you tried running it from a keyboard with pass-through?

We started hot-desking at work last year and the standard deployment was a logitech keyboard and mouse combo using the unify receiver and it is very picky about line of sight and placement in relation to the keyboard and mouse.

15. 7nothing

7nothing Member

Must've seen it at some point, maybe got put off by the tiny bezel but I guess it could be a contender. Have the unifying receiver on the G110, seems like a pretty optimal location, but yea I have seen them flake out when on opposite side of a laptop to where the mouse is.

16. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

upload_2019-1-21_20-56-58.png

New Case DC60.

17. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

18. Jazper

Jazper Member

While I may be laughed out of this thread, I've just returned to the mechanical world.

For the past 8 years or so I've had a cherry silent scissor switch, the strait, keyboard, it finally gave up the ghost having had component parts flicked under the keys (note to self, never do electronics work around a scissor switch keyboard, as replacing the keys is damn near impossible). Before that I had a daskeyboard 2 (blue mx) but it was deemed too loud for partner comfort. I still have it, still works.

After the untimely death of the scissors, I raced to MSY to pick up a mechanical keyboard and low and behold they had a >50% off special on the razer blackwidow elite with yellow switches. While I'm not a competitive gamer, and I knew I'd (still) be paying a bit of a premium, I tested mx browns, blues, greens and reds. I can comfortably say that the razer yellows are the nicest of the lot for me. Many years of heavy typing have made me practically immune to the tactile bumps of the other switches, so linear it is for me. The quieter side effect of these switches is a bonus (though I am considering some O rings to quieten the bottoming out a bit more... )

I'm a heavy typist who sometimes presses lightly. I am still bottoming out while learning to use this new keyboard and am still making mistakes, but the more I use it the better I understand it and the better I get. I've never been a perfect typist.. I'm fast, but not super fast.

The glowy thing doesn't really do it for me, and the keys are further apart than I'm used to, but I'm guessing over time my fingers will get used to it all again. I also miss the special F and J caps on the das..

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  19. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

don't Razer put a bitcoin miner in their software now?

20. emmjawsX

emmjawsX Member

It's an optional install, the base synapse 3 software is still a trashfire though.