OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I got you brother.

This is what you want: HOTSWAP, RGB, HIGH END BOARD, USB C, Completely configurable.

Keep in mind with the price you will need to buy switches and keycaps. I would choose the alu and plastic case. It comes to $85USD. Add some gateron yellows (amazing linear switch very smooth much better than Cherry MX reds) Tada68 PBT keycaps (very nice).

This keyboard is a great base for modifying. The hotswap sockets will allow you to swap in any new switch you like without soldering. There are a bunch of aftermarket metal cases like the Tada68 alu and Tofu65 alu.

If you buy an off the shelf board then its upgrade path is kinda done. I recommend buying this kit instead.

upload_2019-5-17_20-53-32.png

2. riccoo

riccoo Member

stepping up again thanks dude and ill try out your settings in my stream thread :)

3. interlopr

interlopr Member

Hey guys, Have just noticed a little issue with my Ducky One 2 RGB TKL keyboard. Purchased in Feb of this year and it seems I have a Blue/Green LED dead on my left Alt key (See pictures). If i set the keyboard to all white back light it will only display red on that key. If i put it on rainbow wave it will go blank on every colour but red.

Is this worth sending the keyboard away for RMA or do I just attempt to fix it myself?

Attached Files:

4. mr626

mr626 Member

If it was purchased locally, I'd def. RMA it. If it was overseas...unless you get them to pay shipping I'm not sure it will be worth your while

5. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

If RMA for sure. A bit of a pain but it's only a few months old.

6. interlopr

interlopr Member

Key is now completely dead, have requested RMA form with PCCG

SSJ4 likes this.
  7. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Yeh sounds like something is going on in the PCB. the LED and switch are completely separate so its got to be the PCB killing them.

8. MoonSha

MoonSha Member

I've spent a few days hunting for a new keyboard, does anybody know of something that is:

PBT Doubleshot with transparent lettering, backlit, TKL, N or at least 8 key rollover, heavy linear switches and has dedicated volume keys.

So far it seems the Ducky One 2 and this https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5003 bizarre thing are about the only boards that fit from factory. Also considered corsair + PBT key pack or anything else that ships with ABS and just buying a keyset when the shine appears. I don't mind paying in the 200 range if it's going to tick all boxes.

9. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Custom.

https://kbdfans.cn/products/dz68rgb-customize-keyboard-diy-kit

10. MoonSha

MoonSha Member

I really like the idea of going custom, this website is confusing as hell though. I think they sell a TKL PCB but it's out of stock and they don't sell cases for it which makes it pretty useless unless I intend to nail it to a board.

*edit. I think I found some TKL cases on their aliexpress store but at 225USD just for the case it puts the whole keyboard in the 400+ aud range which is too rich for me.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  11. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

TKL is far less popular in the custom space. Look at 65%s. Lots more options there.

12. kelthegeek

kelthegeek Member

After years of using membrane based Logitech keyboards, I recently acquired myself a cheapo MKB, an Armaggeddon MKR-11A. It's a full 104-key board with RGB. It comes Outemu Blue switches, which seem to be a Cherry MX clone. The software is OK, but hard on the eyes - the Kogan software for their similar looking board works fine, looks better and is easier on the eyes. The RGB stuff has a selection of interesting patterns, including some responsive ones and also has some programmable profiles. It's a plastic base with an ALU top, looks fairly clean, I could live without the marketing crap on the space bar though.

It's got a fixed USB cable, with no passthrough, but this is fine for my use. For typing on, it's way better than any membrane board I've used in recent years, although I am having to adjust to the more compact layout compared to the Logi G110 I was using. Volume, media and some macro keys are actioned by Fn+<key> combo that mostly works OK - better for larger hands. I paid about $50 for it and have been reasonably impressed with it for the money. It comes with hotswappable keys and the box included removal tools and 3 spare switches.

Is this a fantastic MKB? Probably not, but as something for me to break back in to the MKB world, it's a reasonable start. My ears and fingers are half remembering my IBM keyboards of old, with some joy I might add.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask..

13. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Recently spent upwards of 7 hours repairing my Model M clickity-clicker, but it's such a nightmare pulling the thing apart and bolting it all back together, if I have to take it apart again I may well just buy a new clone.

14. mr626

mr626 Member

Unicomp are still going strong, won't be cheap though

15. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Yeah, that's what put me off in the past - but might have to bite the bullet, at this stage.

16. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

FWIW, I used an IBM (Lexmark) Model M for about a year. Tried 2 different Unicomp Model M's (mainly for the Windows key, i use that a shitload and there are no IBM Model M's I know of with a key there). I found the switches in both Unicomp boards to be not as nice as my IBM Model M's. Now it could be that both my Unicomp boards, I was the 2nd owner with low usage so the keys were still a bit stiff, 2nd the IBM boards have been used for years and years, but even though the Unicomp boards use "the same" manufacturing process and the same buckling spring design, I found them to just be a bit off, which made me sad cos I was hoping they'd be my ideal keyboard :(

metamorphosis likes this.
  17. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Good to know

18. Revenger

Revenger Member

Just got myself a cheap B(K)ogan mechanical keyboard with the Outemu red switches are a bit too soft for my liking and RGB is pretty meh and lettering are all square fonts.

but I got it mainly as a second and spare keyboard in the future as I plan to get a Glorious Gateron Black with Aura Pudding caps probably at the Black Friday sales.
    Will need a wrist rest for this.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  19. miicah

miicah Member

20. yoink

yoink Member

Yes, kbdfans are legit