1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. millsy

millsy Member

yoink and elvis like this.
  2. adz

adz Member

Well, I'll be, I never even knew this thread existed :shock:

Working from home for all this time I've come to realise two things, one, my Corsair K70 with Cherry Blues and PBT caps isn't as good as I thought it was, and two, I hate my office chair. Obviously the office chair falls out of scope for this thread, but the keyboard issue is just right.

I have a few nice keyboards in my collection including a Unicomp model M and a Datacomp with Alps SKCM Whites. I thought about making the Unicomp my daily driver, but it's even louder than the blues in the K70 and as nice as the Datacomp is, I really miss the extra keys a 104 offers. Plus neither board has full NKRO, so they will carry on as my retro bench boards.

For a while I've been wanting to have a go at building my own keyboard, however all the kits I have come across are all based on either 60% or TKL form factors, neither of which I have any interest in. After some reading I finally gave up on the idea of building my own full size board and have settled on something modular that will at least make changing switches a lot easier.

I have just ordered a GMMK board sans switches and caps, I also ordered one of their thin stealth palm rests as they look quite nice. In terms of caps, I'm a little particular on the asthetics as well as the feel, so after some hunting I discovered a really nice PBT double shot backlit set from Ducky which is still in a pre-order state. As for switches, I've settled on Kailh BOX Pinks, they're clicky, tactile and from what I've read, they have a feel reminiscent of IBM buckling springs. Sadly, they are out of stock at the moment, so I dare say this is going to be a drawn out experience. Fingers crossed it works out as good as I think it will, all up I reckon this little adventure is going to set me back around $370.

yoink likes this.
  3. Dan N

Dan N Member

4. Dan N

Dan N Member

kogi likes this.
  5. kogi

kogi Member

No I haven't, thanks for that.

Are they any good? it looks like they copied all the greatest hits of the mech keyboard world

Dan N likes this.
  6. Dan N

Dan N Member

7. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

My Corsair k90 has bitten the dust after nearly a decade service. I was considering going to MX Black's but there don't seem to be that many options apart from the Ducky One 2 & Shine 7. Which I'm still considering although my main issue is I use media controls on my k90 all the time. How easy is it to program the upper-right media keys on a Shine 7?

I only really need last track, pause/play and next track, so the 3 keys on the board would be fine if they are easy to reprogram.

Unless there's some kind of mini-board I could get and use as a media controller and the few macros I use (which is mostly just the "launch calculator" one), the only other option I can see is just getting one of the current Corsair boards like the K70, K95 in Red or Speed Silver.

Hmm, this seems like the exact thing I'm looking for media control.
    https://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-fal...i-macropad-mechanical-keyboard-assembled.html

edit - decided to order the Ducky Shine 7 Blackout RGB.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    adz likes this.
  8. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Goddamn this thing is a beast. I've read those "the nearest object is what you have to fight a zombie invasion" posts, and I'd just take this keyboard. Now I just have to figure out the stupid key bindings so I can get my media controls setup.

edit - And done :) That was a little bit complicated but I got there in the end. Got the Calc, then previous track, pause/play and next track setup. I salvaged the left arrow, S, and right arrow from my Corsair board. Replaced the blue buttons and the special graphic spacebar (I seem to have got a rabbit not the cool dragon design) with the simple black one.

Are the F5, F6 and F7 keys meant to light up in RGB when you push Function? Lol. I've never been a Function Key guy anyway, just curious.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    adz likes this.
  9. Shines

Shines Member

Hello everyone.

I have probably done what most have done when replacing key caps, I have found out the hard way that the little white stablilser insert thingies on the long keys break quite easily when removing them from Das Keyboard original keycaps. These things: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/cherry-mx-keycap-stabilizer-insert-2pcs.html

Of course I can try and buy them online from USA, but does anyone know where I can get my hands on some locally? or even better have a whole stash of them and want to sell me a few? My searching of this thread / forum I will admit was a little half-arsed on this occasion...

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

10. 192.168.0.1

192.168.0.1 Member

Thinking about getting a FC660C /w 45g Topre. They are impossible in Australia to get... :S

11. adz

adz Member

Well Novelkeys finally recieved stock of Kailh Box Pink's, US$40 for 120 switches, US$60 for shipping :shock: Fingers crossed they get here soon, even though the keyboard and caps are yet to arrive :lol:

12. jprockbelly

jprockbelly Member

Perhaps not strictly on topic, but hopefully it'll provide some amusement :D

I'm trying to find some info about my keyboard. It's a Mitsubishi Diamond Touch 6511-PX (see pics). My mum originally got it when I was a kid and I've been using it for at least 20 years, but don't remember exactly how long. I'm trying to figure out roughly when it was made, but not having much luck with Google. There is some info about the 6511-UP version, which had the media buttons along the top, and someone on gummy flogging off a PA version which is similar but without the two-tone keys.

Any hints where I might look?

Pic:
    https://imgur.com/zCXCxj8.jpg

Model:
    https://imgur.com/mVsZcN5.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  13. avexdevil

avexdevil Member

i had to reorder my keychron K4 (alu frame) gateron brown direct from Keychron because Amazon bunged my order somewhere in Amsterdam.
    Then I found a Kailh box white AP2 on OCAU and bought that too. Can't wait for them to arrive. Anyone with these keyboards care to comment on their quality/enjoyment/longevity etc etc?

14. adz

adz Member

Niiiice :thumbup:

20200702_135718.jpg

Now to wait for the rest...

15. tin

tin Member

Can any of you fine people help suggest a new keyboard for me?
    Main rules are:
    * Not made in China. 100% if possible, but I know that's optimistic.
    * Cherry Blue or similar (if anyone else manufactures outside China). I like the noisy clicks and heavier keys.
    * Full size. Number pad. Arrows.
    * Basic media/volume controls.

Budget is kind of flexible - was aiming around $250 when I was looking last weekend, but can go a bit higher.

16. tin

tin Member

FCC ID gives back a document that says "Date of Grant: 03/16/1998". I'd guess they were manufactured starting shortly after that.
    The FCC ID is also granted to BenQ, who also manufactured Acer peripherals. You may find the same model was sold under all 3 names - they used to do that a fair bit.

It's also only a basic membrane keyboard, isn't it? I remember the Mitsubishi keyboards were fairly heavy keys, but I'm pretty sure they were not mechanical.

jprockbelly likes this.
  17. jprockbelly

jprockbelly Member

Thanks Tin.

Yeah, it's a membrane.

18. adz

adz Member

Not 100% on where these are manufactured, but they might be worth looking at:

GMMK

and

WASD

19. Dan N

Dan N Member

20. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Nice.
    Kind of what I would be looking at because I use all groups on the board.
    KAT keycaps look a lot like DSA if I’m not mistaken. The thicker walls will help the sound :thumbup:
    Would like to hear your thoughts a few weeks into using it.