1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. bym007

bym007 Member

I ordered my K8 with Geteron Browns with changeable switches.
    Looking for some nice keycaps.

2. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Had some packages arrive this week. Tried different layouts on the 60% board. CRKB kit arrived yesterday with Kailh box brown switches. currently got them in the 60% board, the shine through is so much better than the Gateron reds that I had in there. Couldn't get used to the split space bar, and didn't have any proper short space keys, so the edges were hurting my thumbs. Inserted a layer of foam & lubed up the stabs (they were factory lubed, They sounded OK, but they're better now) Lubed up 4 of the gaterons, they sound & feel so much better. But i'm not liking the red switches, too sensitive. I might try and lube the box browns, which sound and feel much better than the stock reds.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

adz likes this.
  3. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

I'm looking for a wireless 105 key for the wife. Not needing ricer lighting and hoping not to need to take out a second mortgage. What are my options?

4. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    adz likes this.
  5. yoink

yoink Member

dat name tho :sick:

6. bigubosu

bigubosu Member

Hey all, recently been looking at various keyboards and might take the plunge to a mechanical keyboard. I've noticed, you can DIY your keyboard buying various parts but not really interested in doing that atm. So here's a list of things I'm after (not in any particular order), as there seems to be an endless amount of brands out there.

- Wireless
    - Illuminated
    - Good battery life
    - Low profile (similar or close to the Apple Keyboard)
    - Quiet
    - Full size
    - OSX friendly
    - <$200

It seems the closest keyboards I've come across are (other than the latest Apple Wireless Keyboard)
    Logitech MX Keys https://wfh-anz.logitech.com/mx/ana...3KKlN3bvzj13qAhVoa5BN00DUKbtKpe0aApP-EALw_wcB
    Matias Wirelsss Aluminium http://www.matias.ca/aluminum/mac-rgb/
    Satechi Compact Backlit Keyboard https://satechi.net/products/compact-backlit-bluetooth-keyboard?variant=31664932094040
    Keychron K1V4 https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k1-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=31562978525273
    Coolermaster MasterKeys SK651 https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/peripheral/keyboards/sk651/

I particularly like the Keychron and cooler master, although both seem difficult to buy. The keychron is available @ mwave.

Let me know if I have any other options (other than DIY). If not all features can be met above, I could deal with removing the Apple keyboard layout and it being full size, although the next best thing here would be to include the arrow keys at least.
    Cheers

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  7. bym007

bym007 Member

I like Keychron, particularly where the Bluetooth has been upgraded to v5.x. Their new keyboards are also getting changeable switches.

8. bigubosu

bigubosu Member

Thanks, not too fussed with changeable switches. Do you have any issues when you use the Keychron? I can see multiple threads on reedit with various realiability issues - dead after N months, connection issues (although i thought those were resolved with bluetooth 5 update) and so on. I'm leaning towards the Cooler Master wireless SK651 although, don't know where to buy it other than the .

9. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

[​IMG]
    Corne Keyhboard built, and it's really nhard to typoe on. damn ortholinear./ i can't see myself uysing this . Curious to see If I could use one one of the bigger boards, like the lily58. Unfortunately I've screwed up the LEDs and the OLED displays. hopefully come back to it sometime.

EDIT: After lubing the switches and a bit of practice, my speed and accuracy are improving. last night I was sitting around 45 wpm. today I can hit 75wpm. Its hard to use a board with no numbers row, or arrow keys. But now I see the purpose of this board. It's so your fingers never have to move more than one key away. You can keep your arms and wrists firmly planted. It would fun to mount this to a chair with armwrests. For those interested, there are 2 function keys which allow you to access multiple layers, which give you numbers, symbols RGB, arrows.

One thing ergonomic boards highlight, are the bad habbits I have, as I don't touch type 100% correctly. I don't use my pinkies for top row and beyond. 0 & backspace, being the top offenders, but with this design I can reach them alot easier.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    adz likes this.
  10. JaC

JaC Member

I think I'm after something similar - a wireless/wired full size 104 key with brown switches.

Keychron K1 would be perfect if it was full height switches, or a K4 if it was full standard layout.

Anything out there?

11. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Look what the DHL driver just dropped off.
    Dygma Raise with Kailh speed bronze clicky switches.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It looks pretty cool. need attach wrist pads. It feels a little strange after using the ortholinear Corne keyboard for a couple of weeks. Can't wait to fully explore all the features. I love the extra thumb buttons. I felt kinda restricted with Corne, I like being able to use my left thumb for space and enter.

It's ironic that this keyboard is what spawned my 6 month infatuation with custom keyboards. And in the time that it has taken to arrive I've built 2 keyboards, reconfigured them multiple times and ordered parts for half a dozen more. I'm starting to become a keyboard snob now. I can't stand the sound of clicky switches. But I still like the sensation and feedback of them. I just prefer the bassy thock sounds of a lubed keyboard.
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: Dygma comes with a carry case and tools and switches
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    adz and quannum like this.
  12. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

Just build the Atreus62 to see if I like it - I think is a pretty good intro to split keyboard but once you are used to proper split it feels a bit cramped.

The key spacing feels a bit odd as I am used to the Lily & crkbd - the thumb keys is a bit of a stretch for me and not in my resting position.

Built it with T1 switches - pretty nice switches though a bit light and not very tactile for my taste (Box Royal & Box Navy fan here).

Might try a Reviung41 next or a Treadstone32 to see if that fits the bill for my mobile keyboard.

[​IMG]

adz and SpaceFrog like this.
  13. kickmic

kickmic Member

Anyone know of someone Melbourne based doing mech keyboard commissions (soldering, lubing etc)?

14. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

Ask in snagkey discord and there are a few on there.

kickmic likes this.
  15. Dan N

Dan N Member

Just wanted to say something about CandyKey. I purchased a vortexgear race 3 and when it arrived, i noticed that the layout was weird cos i liked the big Enter button, but i did not realised it was ISO-DE layout. The owner of candykey was very understanding. So he gave me a refund. I only paid postage to send it back to germany after no one wanted to buy it.

i highly recommended candykey.

16. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

Get the Logitech. Only reliable one in the list. The mx keys has the keyboard shortcuts already built in and has the best software out of the lot. I have it and the only thing better in feel in low profile is the apple magic keyboard but that is useless for pc.

17. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

[​IMG]
    Finally finished the Corne Keyboard last night!! 6 underglow + 42 per key RGB LEDs & 2 OLED displays all working now! Such a pain in the ass. Amazingly didn't burn out as many components as I thought, and was able to repair the PCB in multiple places I had stuffed up. I just need some better switches, caps & case to show off all the pretty lights.

adz likes this.
  18. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

nice! My favourite keyboard by far just the right amount of keys!

now just got to tent it!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    SpaceFrog likes this.
  19. klam

klam Member

I had a K1 v4 (red switch) and am using a K1 v4 with blue switches. Both solid on the Bluetooth.

20. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Looking for some suggestions on a new board for travel/portability. My current work board is a Leopold FC900R PD with MX Red Silent switches. This was great and I enjoyed it very much and wasn't too loud for the office. I had a permanent desk but with the recent covid impacts, our offices for work are now completely agile. Most are working from home but I like to go into the office 3-4 times a week and our workspace is now all hotdesking so I'll need something portable I can carry along with me in a backpack. Wireless would be preferably but not essential. I'll be selling the larger FC900R PD to fund the compact replacement for travel :D

From a quick google research, my current options are:
    Anne Pro 2 60%
    Keychron K2 75%

Edit;
    Possibly looking at Keychron K6 65%
    and Akko 3068. Anyone experienced with any of these?

I'm still tossing up between a 60 or 75 board - I don't rely heavily on Function keys but they would be nice/handy here and there and I guess out of habit. I may have to stick with learning the 60% which I am willing to do. In comparison to my old MX Red Silents, how does the gaterons on the Anne's fair? I've never tried them and I'm assuming I'd be going after the Gateron Reds?

Any suggestions and recommendations on switch types, and other available board would be greatly appreciated. Budget is around $120-180

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020