OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

I dont mind the silent linears that i am currently using. Certainly quieter for usage, which will make them more acceptable in the office when we finally return.

I think ill end up with Kailh Silent Box Browns for the xd68 build. For that build I realised I don't have any key stabs. Are there any reasonable sources locally for 2x 6.25x and 7x stabs?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  2. Humane

Humane Member

CustomKBD is my go to. They have Durock V2 kits in stock: https://customkbd.com/collections/stabilisers/products/durock-screw-in-stabilizers-v2

This is the correct amount for the xd68.

Also make sure you lube them, I'd go with these for cost effectiveness: https://customkbd.com/collections/lubricants/products/loob-3g

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

Ended up with Cherry stabs from Keyhub, will see how they go. Plate mount rather than PCB mount as the xd68 has issues with some traces being too close to the screw holes.

Such a pain but at least this way i dont have to wait for another 4 months to get stuff from OS.

4. Humane

Humane Member

I'm sure they'll do an adequate job. And you can also take them out without having to take the whole board apart, so if they're scratchy / ticking then it's a much easier fix.

FYI the Durock V2 kit usually comes with fibreglass washers that you put between the screw head and PCB, which prevents any electrical contact issues.

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

Ah, didnt quite explain the issue. The XD68 has undersized space bar stab holes, and you cant drill them out larger because of the traces.

The things you put up with in order to keep using the sweet billet TADA68 case.

Really should go back to the Ergodox, but for USB issues.

6. Humane

Humane Member

A gotcha, well then plate mount sounds best.

7. Suit

Suit Member

Anybody in Adelaide have any spare lube? :)

8. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Sorry not in Adelaide.
    Speaking of lube...

What are people's thoughts on the Superlube oil + grease mix ? Tempted to try it. Haven't checked the prices of the exact product code, but a quick search on amazon showed 2 bottles around $17. with postage it'd be about $45. I was thinking of getting the bottle of oil for springs, and general purpose stuff like bikes.

Currently stumbling my way through a Sick 68, I thought I did a pretty neat job, until my poor choice of a 15 wire ribbon. Wires are too long, having trouble closing the case and putting pressure on wires etc. I Thought I had it this morning, But Spacebar stopped working as I was putting on keycaps :(

Does any1 have experience with a teensy controller? Do i have to press the button on the board to upload a new keymap?
    [​IMG]

Have a package to pick from the post office. Hopefully It's something more fun.

EDIT: Lucy! joo got sum l00bing to doo!
    [​IMG]
    Got some cheap switches to do dumb projects like handwiring 3d printed keyboards.

Also I've got the sick68 up and running. So this keyboard has been quite an experience! Do I recommend this keyboard... no. Should you build this keyboard? probably not. This was a lockdown project through and through. Printed out during lockdown 2. Waiting for switches & micro controller to arrive.

I think the point of this keyboard is
    1. An educational experience
    2. A way to try out a 65% layout
    3. A way way to build a mech keeb on the cheap
    It sounds pretty horrible. And it was my first time with co star stabs, The spacebar is driving me insane! I've added an o ring, and band aid where the wire might be hitting the plate? It's better but still making a horrible metal noise. Not as bad if you type gently.

Looks like my preference is shifting to linear switches. I'm like 10-20 wpm faster with them.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Suit likes this.
  9. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

thought i'd share my first mech kb build here. thanks to some of the members here for sources :thumbup:
    switches.jpg
    completed.jpg

quite like the gat milky yellows. pcb is ymdk96 (melody96).
    finally got a new keyboard after almost 20years :Paranoid:

SpaceFrog, adz, yoink and 1 other person like this.
  10. special.k

special.k Member

Looks fantastic mate!

garfield2k likes this.
  11. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Wakanda Forver!
    [​IMG]
    Didn't know these were even shipped. DROP send me so much spam, I didn't notice the dispatch email. The estimated ship date was 24th, but apparantly they were dispachted on the 10th. I went into the post office to pick up another parcel, and the lady was like you have 2 parcels to pick up. Other parcel is also fun, some goodies from Custom KBD. Got a Sofle and a macro board to play with.

adz, yoink and micsway123 like this.
  12. micsway123

micsway123 Member

13. dainese

dainese Member

Glad I found this thread. I got into mechanical keyboards 1 year ago. And have been through 8 boards or so now!

Currently using:
    Tofu65 with NK Creams, O-ring modded, PC plate

KBDFans KBD67 Lite with Gat Blacks, hand cut mat into cavities of ABS case (PIA)

Yesterday took delivery of GMMK Pro with H1 spring swapped, PE Foam, stabilisers cleaned up and modified.

But have been through a range of other keyboards, off the shelf, custom entry levels etc as part of my crazy journey.

Really enjoy tuning and tweaking and getting the best out of the items. And the joy of typing on something that is customised to your liking, feels and sounds better.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    adz, micsway123 and macktheknife like this.
  14. dainese

dainese Member

Anthony out of Victoria sells lots of cool stuff and more catered to the DIY enthusiast

https://customkbd.com/collections/lubricants/products/loob-3g

micsway123 likes this.
  15. dainese

dainese Member

I have a lot to say about these keycaps but I understand their appeal but can't swallow their aftermarket sales pricing and the hype and the wait. To make matters worse, they are made out of ABS and they shine over time. No thanks.

I think people that buy are at a certain 'level'. They probably have a vfew sets and would rotate.They are probably patient and able to wait because they have a bunch of spares already.

Their colourways are to die for though, I admit that.

micsway123 and macktheknife like this.
  16. micsway123

micsway123 Member

yea not a fan of waiting but these drop laser caps are ready to ship so not as long a wait (3-4 weeks from recent experience)

can’t see myself buying multiple sets either. Set and forget ideally.

17. dainese

dainese Member

Looks like you got a response after your question.

I've several of these on a tester board and also test ran on board. I found the bottom out to be distracting with the silicone dampeners on the rail of stems. The bobas are known for their strong rounded bump. I've also tried their U4T and they're pretty great too. There is a distinct, measured thack on bottom out but return is a little louder I think.

They're also so affordable. Which is great. And in stock too. They feel similar to the kiwi but are more attainable

micsway123 likes this.
  18. wwwww

wwwww Member

Just got the Keychron K3 and I just wanna share what an awesome keyboard this is.

Having binned a 2 month old MX Keys (lost the receipt and I can't bring myself to sell faulty products), and gave away a brand new Microsoft Designer keyboard (warranty replacement), my standards are pretty low. I really just wanted a keyboard that works and I found it with this Keychron thing.
    - no silly RGB
    - function keys don't randomly switch to hotkeys
    - bluetooth actually works consistently
    - it works on USB as well without any problems
    - it's small, but not missing any keys. I prefer small keyboards for less need to move my hands around and so I can take one with me when traveling. So many new keyboards drop important keys like the bloody function keys just to be smaller, and they end up bigger anyway. The print screen button on this was hard to find as it has a weird icon but it's there.
    - build quality feels very solid too

Overall, exceeded my expectations. A++. Would buy again.

Only other thing I'd point out is that the keys are quite small and may not suit everybody.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    macktheknife likes this.
  19. dainese

dainese Member

Yeah, they make some great, accessible, off the shelf, practical and useable keyboards for good money.

Anyone seen their Q1 model on youtube?

20. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Yeah, looks and sounds pretty good. Can be ordered from PC Case Gear.