OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dainese

dainese Member

Looks great.

What is the functional appeal of the hhkb? I never understood

2. Humane

Humane Member

For me it's keeping the mouse close to the keyboard and having the Ctrl key easier to press.

3. dainese

dainese Member

You don't miss the other buttons?

4. Humane

Humane Member

Well as you can tell I was missing the F keys for debugging. But other than that I don't miss any of the other keys. The arrows on HHKB are super easy to use once you get used to them, it's a one handed thing.

5. millsy

millsy Member

So picked up a lily58 a while ago, finally getting used to it now, it's pretty interesting and the flexibility of positioning it has been great for comfort. However I'm definitely feeling the lack of dedicated arrow keys, just haven't been able to engage my brain to make that work yet.

dainese likes this.
  6. metalrain

metalrain Member

Finally got my Cooler Master SK621 MX Cherry Reds that I purchased from here. First impressions, with the bog standard caps, it might take me a while to get used to them, especially with how close the top edge of each of them are (very easy to multipress keys).

It seems to fit standard height MX Cherry caps, so I might have a look at getting a nicer replacement set, but I might have to do more testing as the issues of stabilizers might be a problem for some keys.

Wireless function though, does take a few seconds to pair with the devices after the initial set-up, but working fine with my phone, tablet and TV, which is a big part of why I wanted this particular unit.

Hardest thing to get going was figuring out the RGB lighting since the manual was very barebones and the CM software UI, while good for customisation, didn't have basic info in terms of actually turning them on. Turned out though that I had to turn up the red, green and blue channels individually because they defaulted to zero after a factory reset?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how these go, but definitely needs a keycap upgrade. :thumbup:

A lot of pinging on stabilized keys... I need to lube these somehow :tired:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    macktheknife likes this.
  7. metalrain

metalrain Member

So with my new (to me) keyboard here, I thought I should start considering hard modding my trusty, but venerable SteelSeries 7G Pro.

First thing on the list is to add some sound dampening insulation, which is easy enough, and secondly, lubing it finally but with about 10 years worth of use, it should have been "broken in" by now. Doubt lubing is going to do anything for it.

Third and final thing I want to do to is to somehow make the cable removable, but with the composite nature of it (PS/2, 2x 3.5mm audio and USB-A) this might be too much for me to handle, but I wanna see what you guys think of doing that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worth rewiring it somehow and turning it into a removable cable or would that task be to complicated and/or expensive to bother with? I was thinking of going with like for like, or perhaps just shortening stock the cable so I can just use extendos?

[​IMG]

Convenient location for female output ports?

8. dainese

dainese Member

This looks good.. For the stabilised keys, pop them off, you should be able to access the stabiliser assemblies as they'd like be plate mounted. You won't be able to take them out because the switches are soldered in. But should be enough to get room to get dielectric grease on there and possibly sneak some lube in the housings.

9. dainese

dainese Member

I just picked up a used kbd75 rev 2.. pretty happy with it.. but it seems to register an occasional "." and then on other occasions it will continually register "."..

Any ideas?

10. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Take off the cap, hit the switch with compressed air and try again. Is it a hotswap by any chance?

11. metalrain

metalrain Member

Mucking around with the key caps from the SteelSeries 7G Pro and they seem to be working fine. Also, turns out they are somewhat see through with a smoky tint, rather than the straight, plain back caps that I thought they were all these years!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regular profile Escape cap from the SteelSeries 7G Pro compared to the included low-profile version.

Seen one person use a thin piece of plastic to "slide" lube between the stem and the inside of the top piece of switch housing. Don't think it's possible for me to get into the tighter parts of the switches without destroying them with my clumsy fingers :Paranoid:

macktheknife likes this.
  12. dainese

dainese Member

Just desoldered switch, looks to be lubed, not too overly done I think. I soldered a spare on there, see how it goes today at work. it really is a PIA when you're rattling off writing and then have it depress like that. It isn't a cute cat or something.

13. micsway123

micsway123 Member

Boba u4 silent switches have arrived, that's today sorted.

upload_2021-9-10_10-16-35.png

adz and Humane like this.
  14. dainese

dainese Member

Nice, hope you like them. They are deliciously tactile and smooth. The bottom out is really silent.

You can lube these up too

Humane and micsway123 like this.
  15. micsway123

micsway123 Member

that is the plan. Humane hooked me up (many thanks) with some others for comparison like zilents and these were the clear winner (night and day, to the point where I couldn’t believe they called zilents silent switches ha)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  16. connico

connico Member

Any decent premade keyboards that use these switches?

17. Humane

Humane Member

There are no premade boards that use these switches.

You can get a hotswap board, like the GMMK Pro, Keychron Q1, NK65 EE, or a budget option from Royal Kludge then put these switches in.

connico and micsway123 like this.
  18. micsway123

micsway123 Member

drop also have so refurb options which are considerably cheaper than brand new (good as new, likey these are the ones people returned):

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-alt-mechanical-keyboard-refurb

adz likes this.
  19. connico

connico Member

ok that sounds awesome. Get me a GMMK Pro and just swap out the switches!! how much a bag of these Boba switches cost anyways?

Also I just want to say my keyboard is boba!

micsway123 likes this.
  20. pezzy

pezzy Member

theyre around 1.40 to 0.8 each, from small to big order. can get them on aliexpress.