OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. yoink

yoink Member

Tell us a bit more about the orange one!

2. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

I assume you mean the top one. It's actually a reddish burgundy colour. It's the YMDK Wings. Put it together yesterday. Wish I had filmed/documented the process. It's an aluminium top mount integrated plate. Has an acryclic mid piece for the un-diffused RGB underglow. And is QMK compatibile.
    • Gateron Black Inks (Currently unlubed and unfilmed)
    • Everglide V1 Stabs, heatshrink and grease on wires, krytox on stems
    • AKKO ASA Black on Pink caps
    • Pre-cut plate dampening foam
    • YMDK Press fit "Mill Max" style hotswap sockets
    • Tape mod
    • PE Foam mod under switches
    • And PE foam on bottom of case.
    Can't wait to lube & use Deskey films. I just really wanted to put it together yesterday. I've lost the RGB when I reflashed a new keymap. But honestly I think I'm going to mod this for sound rather than looks. I would like a different keycap set. I think red Samurai would look nice, a quick google and every man and his dog has done the same...

Overall I'm very happy with it, it's my first hi profile aluminium case. The reviews say the sound is not going to be great because of the integrated plate. One thing that is different from the reviews and pics. Is that my plate has the cut-out for a big backspace. This was the thing that was putting me off the most.

EDIT: Fixed the RGB, flashed with VIA firmware. *Sigh. Took like two seconds. Originally followed the official instructions to build the firmware via some dodgy Chinese website. The keymap took like 10 mins to create.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    adz and yoink like this.
  3. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

[​IMG]
    Here are some 3D printed goodies I've found recently.
    3D printed rear feet, they're a copy of aluminium ones found on KBD Fans (you need to add your own bumpon)
    Stabiliser wire pop guard, sticks on with doublesided tape, a copy of KBD Fans stabilizer partner, Not needed with V2 durocks and everglides
    Stabilizer wire straitening tool, Haven't tried yet and my print needs the holes widened :(
    Diode Benders, the right one has been resized for a tighter bend, which was needed for the Discipline build. This design is the exact width to bend them while they're in the packaging. Can share the links if people are interested.

4. Azrael

Azrael Member

Its annoying that the YMDK Wings doesnt have a space for triple modifiers on the left side. :( Im constantly using all three for skipping through text

5. metalrain

metalrain Member

Nice, got another toy to play with, RK84 from Umart. I've ordered new switches, foam and keycaps to upgrade it with since the stock ones are pretty much bottom of the barrel stuff. Glad to have dedicated F keys again lol

6. harky

harky Member

Heh kinda

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The silkscreens are just inspired by a recent anime I watched :p

dainese, adz, SpaceFrog and 1 other person like this.
  7. groovetek

groovetek Member

Enjoying my first mechanical keyboard. Very cheap to start with, but honestly feels great.

2FD7EE06-C0B2-4F02-8269-52EE19A4A818.jpeg

dainese, SpaceFrog, adz and 2 others like this.
  8. metalrain

metalrain Member

And it begins haha

groovetek and adz like this.
  9. mobester

mobester Member

I bought a Keychron K3 v2 with red optical switches.
    If the switch shortage ends anytime soon I'll buy some brown and banana switches.
    Otherwise I'll buy a budget hot swappable 75 keyboard so I can try some other switches

metalrain likes this.
  10. metalrain

metalrain Member

I showed off the pudding keycaps (to go with the RGB lighting) that I ordered, to some more of the "elitist" keyboard "enthusiasts" and they spammed vomit emotes at me... Man, I didn't know RGB was so polarizing within the community lol

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  11. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Nah you gotta buy some $350 GMK colourway of shit brown and bright purple with random symbols instead of keys and then a literal surgical blade stuck onto the top of an ESC key as a novelty. Then wait 3 years for the group buy to complete and then it all gets lost in the mail. Then you get the plaudits.

yoink and adz like this.
  12. metalrain

metalrain Member

It's hard to justify spending so much on GMK sets when there are alternatives for much cheaper, despite how nice they are. Speaking of which, I did also order a set of Akko Midnight ASA keycaps too from KPRepublic. Couldn't resist with how they look.

EDIT: It was less than $48 USD posted from KPR. Around $65 AUD with a Honey code "AMLUCKTODAY2". I think you can get it cheaper from Taobao, but I couldn't be bothered figuring out how to buy it from there :Paranoid:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    macktheknife likes this.
  13. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

flipped the spacebar and been using it for about a week now. kinda like it. :thumbup:

Humane likes this.
  14. Humane

Humane Member

Recently I built an AEBoards x Ivery Praxis, I did stream the build on Twitch but unfortunately the VOD audio is screwed so can't share that. I did create a hyperlapse of it, will embed the YouTube video here.

Build specs:
    • AEBoards x Ivery Praxis R2 in e-white
    • Lubed & filmed Lavender Linears
    • GMK Black Lotus
    • Polycarbonate plate
    • Durock V2 stabilisers lubed with 205g0

upload_2021-10-13_10-36-46.png

yoink, SpaceFrog, bym007 and 3 others like this.
  15. adz

adz Member

Just ordered 110 NK Sherbet switches for my other board from Daily Clack/Beige, fingers crossed I should see them this year.

16. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

In the past I've owned a Filco Majestouch, couple of Leopolds and most recently a Ducky Shine 2. Of course these were all Cherry switches and I prefer blues and sometimes brown. I love the clicky switches and the noise.

Have now started to dip my toes into more custom mech keyboards and picked up a TM680 which got delivered about 2 weeks ago. I'm still very much getting used to it and I reallllyyyyyy miss the tilde key. I thought I could give up the F row + Tilde key but turns out I can't. The habit of assigning it as a bind in any game and spamming it for the console menu in CS has me missing it so much.

Anyways, so picked up the TM680 because I liked the encoder/knob for volume control and its a cheap budget board that is hotswappable, wireless, suited my preferences and also came in white! In the last 3 weeks I've now purchased Kailh Box Navy's, Kailh Crystal Box Jades and Novelkey Sherbets. It's so hard to decide because I prefer the sound and love the heavy feel of the navy's but it does get fatiguing over time. The Sherbets were fantastic in games and I never got tired of using them but missed a bit of the clicky feel and lack of clicky sound. The box jade's however delivered yesterday and I'm on day 1 with them tonight and loving it so far.

Down the rabbit hole I go and I have an NJ80 on order which solves my problem of the tilde key + F row, comes in white, hotswappable, wireless and also sports a knob/encoder. Super keen!

metalrain likes this.
  17. metalrain

metalrain Member

Yeah I find 75% or 80% keyboards the absolute minimum for me. It's the dedicated function row that I need the most, apart from the alphas of course.

18. adz

adz Member

My NK Sherbets arrived today:

PXL_20211026_041105292.jpg

PXL_20211026_041402854.jpg

PXL_20211026_041747272.jpg

Wow are they clicky, almost too clicky, very high pitched in sound but very tactile and quite satisfying to use. They don't hold a candle to the box pinks though so they won't be my daily drivers any time soon, still a fun project :leet:

SpaceFrog and dainese like this.
  19. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

My wooting 2 HE showed up today. First impressions are it is a really good board. The keycaps and the LEDS are really nice as well. Feels super smooth typing on it.

The magnetic switch thing is magic madness. The default sensitivity of the switch is just enough that it doesn't activate from a finger resting on it (although you can make it that sensitive if you really want) but will activate by a slight but deliberate keypress down.

I'm not sure I'll use the special analogue modes, but the rapid fire where you can tap the key and reactivate it without having to let the key reset I might get some use out of. Edit - I tried the tachyon super fast mode with rapid trigger, in CS it didn't make too much difference except that quickswitching was incredibly fast, it was like I had a macro. I bet it works even better in zoomer games like fortnite/apex/warzone.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    SpaceFrog and adz like this.
  20. micsway123

micsway123 Member

I decided to give this stuff a try for my drop ctrl HP: https://kbdfans.com/products/kbdfans-module-foam

was rather easy to apply and in the end, I don't find much different than without.

either way was interesting to take my board apart and reassemble it, surprisingly easy.

upload_2021-11-3_16-26-12.png

upload_2021-11-3_16-26-41.png

upload_2021-11-3_16-27-2.png

even with the misalignment in some places, it didn't matter, switches went back in fine to the PCB.

SpaceFrog, adz and macktheknife like this.