OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. micsway123

micsway123 Member

ps. I've got enough left over to cover a 65% keyboard (70 odd) so if anyone wants it just PM me and I'm happy to mail it at your own cost.

dainese likes this.
  2. micsway123

micsway123 Member

3. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

As a fan of low profile keyboards, it can be difficult to find good mechanical options. Have tried a couple from Keychron, but I recently this Nuphy board which looks amazing:

https://nuphy.com/products/air75

[​IMG]

dainese, adz and micsway123 like this.
  4. metalrain

metalrain Member

Just ordered? That looks cool. Interested to see what they do with the stabs. Usually the issue when it comes to modifying these LP keyboards.

5. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Ordered last week. It may be a little while until I actually get it. It's very limited production so we'll see. Hoping this year.

The stabs are standard low-profile plate mount stabs factory lubed. Switches are low-profile gateron and hot swappable.

Here's a good overview of the board:

6. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

starting going down the low profile rabbit hole last couple of days. Ordered PCBs for the Ferris Sweep Compact (A split ortho, 34 key board). Will need switches and keycaps for it. MBK were recommended, because they have proper spacing for low profile, Wouldn't mind getting some, but they wanted $40USD to for shipping, and 1 set of caps for a ferris is only $15USD. Anyone know of any deals going around. Happy with blank keycaps for now. Will be building it for fun, I don't think I have the patience to learn a 34 key layout.

adz and dainese like this.
  7. dainese

dainese Member

In a good news story (or bad), I take and leave my kbd67 lite at the office and its often a discussion point with many. But I've managed to corrupt 3 into getting a lite each when i drops end of this month.

Also another colleague who was ecstatic about the look and how smooth the keyboard was (I may or may not have a crush on the this colleague)

8. metalrain

metalrain Member

138A4086.JPG

RK84 with Gateron Red Pro switches and AKKO Midnight keycaps. Stock stabs, but clipped and lubed, so they aren't too terrible now. Dipped my toes into the hobby and now looking to step it up a notch or two. Leaning towards a Niz Micro 82 and modding it too.

adz, garfield2k, SpaceFrog and 3 others like this.
  9. metalrain

metalrain Member

For shits and giggles, I attached this novelty USB fan... Actually might be handy for those sweaty gaming sessions :lol:

Attached Files:

adz, SpaceFrog and macktheknife like this.
  10. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

The Nuphy Air 75 arrived today - really enjoying it so far. Super easy paring, great, low-latency 2.4Ghz connection, great switch and key feel, good stabs, no rattles and quite 'thoccy'. Lighting is a bit 'meh' because the keys aren't shine through - but I normally turn RGB off anyway so makes no difference to me.

Overall well worth the $160 - bit of a bargain actually given the build quality, switches, stabs, pre-lubing etc.

[​IMG]

SpaceFrog, kogi, adz and 2 others like this.
  11. kogi

kogi Member

Gonna order one. did shipping take long?

12. metalrain

metalrain Member

After two months of hassling CoolerMaster for replacement keycaps for my SK621, they have finally relented and just have posted it a couple of days back. Had to use ShopMate to forward ship it via the US as they aren't sending them to any other country.

Shows ya that if at first you don't succeed, complain and complain over and over again until you get what you want :Paranoid:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    macktheknife likes this.
  13. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

It took about 2 weeks from order to arrival - so not too bad given they're a small volume producer.

kogi likes this.
  14. metalrain

metalrain Member

Did the Tempest tape mod on the RK84 last night... I thought it sounded a bit too loud for this specific keyboard, but I am starting like it. Makes it sound a tad lower-pitched? Hasn't worked well with the older keyboards though.

15. Humane

Humane Member

Back with another sweet build:
    • Sunsetter R1 E-White
    • KAT Drifter
    • TTC Wild Linears lubed with 205g0, filmed with TX films, and spring swapped with 55g Sprit Extreme Slow springs

Sound test is available on the Twitch VOD at this timestamp: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1204896262?t=2h21m34s

And may as well have a little plug while I am here, on Sundays (and sometimes other days) I stream keyboard stuff from high end builds like this to cheap macropads: https://www.twitch.tv/nextmech

upload_2021-11-15_21-41-59.png
    upload_2021-11-15_21-42-9.png
    upload_2021-11-15_21-42-17.png

SpaceFrog, metalrain, dainese and 3 others like this.
  16. dainese

dainese Member

I think the consensus is that it acts like a low-pass filter. It makes some of the sound frequency more pronounced. On a dull board or muted rather, it can really liven it up

17. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

I'm looking at making my own custom mech keyboard. Just wondering if anyone knows anywhere in Australia that I can get Kailh Box Jade switches? I was hoping PC Case gear but the only clicky box switches I can find there is box white which isn't bad but the box jades would be my #1 choice

18. Humane

Humane Member

Box jades is an interesting choice. All the regular Australian vendors seem to be out of stock but they're readily available on AliExpress and the price isn't too bad.

Link

upload_2021-11-16_23-49-53.png

19. RnR

RnR Member

https://www.techpowerup.com/289042/...hhkb-professional-hybrid-type-s-snow-keyboard

Getting 10+ years on my HHKB pair. One for home and one in the bag for work. No issues.

I would like to try an S-type. There are kits available that can convert regular to S-type... but been too slack to get one :D

20. Humane

Humane Member

HHKB's are easily one of the best prebuilt options if you don't mind the layout. The Anniversary edition is cool but I don't think I'd pay that much for a HHKB when second hand units can be purchased from Japan for under 300 AUD.

BTW there's an Australian guy who sells aftermarket HHKB daugherboards that enable USB C and VIA firmware on HHKB Pro 2's, that's what I have in mine and it's an easy install.