1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dainese

dainese Member

I found the polycarbonate plate to be softer sounding definitely. But its probably all cancelled out with those cheeky little dampeners on each of your switches

metalrain likes this.
  2. metalrain

metalrain Member

GMMK Pro would be a better option than the GMMK TKL. Unless you're going a very loud proud keyboard, the GMMK Pro, on sale is very hard to beat imho. Very easy mods can make it feel and sound like some of the much more expensive keyboards out there.

In terms of switches, if you are going to the Gateron route and you're on a budget, I can highly recommend the Gateron Pro switches. I believe they only do linears right now; Silvers, Reds and Yellows, in order of lightest actuation to heaviest, but all three switches should be great, pre-lubed and very smooth out of the box and has a markedly improved typing feel, sound and build quality over the normal Gaterons. I think Gateron is upgrading the rest of their line up to the standard of the Pros, but I am not quiet sure yet if they have finished releasing the updates. Very affordable too.

3. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Thank you for the prompt reply and information. Just looking at PC Casegear and they have the GMMK Pro in stock. Will need to buy the switches and key caps as well (obviously). They have some gateron switches (red, non pro) in stock, but the keycaps they have are not compatible with the Pro...........

4. metalrain

metalrain Member

I got my Gateron Pro Red and Yellow switches both from AliExpress, probably the best pricing around short of TaoBao, but with much less of a hassle of buying them, but with the shipping delays, it may take a while. I would have recommend the local Aussie retailers for you to check out, but none of them have any of those in stock. In terms of the keycaps, the only thing you really have to look out for is the 1.75u Right Shift and everything is pretty much standard. The right nav cluster of the Pro can be a little annoying if you want the stock layout, especially the R5 END key, but since the whole keyboard is programable, you can set it to any R5 1u keycap you can fit there (I have mine set to "INS" just for fitment's sake). You can do a little bit more research to find the right keycaps for you, but one thing to keep an eye out is that the with the GMMK Pro having a south-facing switch layout, designed to fit "premium" keycaps from the likes of GMK, the back lit keycaps won't light up properly, but if don't want backlit keycaps and just want some ambient lighting, then it doesn't really matter.

If you want a "babby's" first set of custom keycaps, I would recommend something like the AKKO branded ones, they usually have 154+ keycaps to cover almost all standard and custom keyboard layouts, even with some alternative colour and "artisan" ones with some nice custom logos. I bought the AKKO Midnight set in the ASA profile and it's pretty nice set of keycaps for the price. Luckily, even PCCG stocks those now.

5. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Thanks metalrain. I appreciate your time. Just doing some more research. It would appear that custom mechanical keyboards can be quite the little hobby........... and money pit :p

I see Keychron is launching a Q1 QMK dial version in 3 hours via their website. Early reviews indicate it might be easier to "work" with than the GMMK Pro........

Your thoughts?

Thank you.

6. metalrain

metalrain Member

I haven't read much up on the Q1 with the rotary knob, but I have heard that they are upgrading and fixing some of the issues of the original Q1 which from reports, had pretty shoddy QA (or a lack thereof). Most people compare both the original Q1 and the GMMK Pro as mostly equals, with the Q1 being a better fixer-upper, with a tad bit more potential while the Pro being better out of the box, but with some mods recommended to make it even better.

And yeah, this hobby can be an easy money pit, and though I am restricting myself to the more budget orientated and beginner friendly keyboards, I am very tempted by a custom keyboard that's selling for about $700 USD :Paranoid:.

7. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Ouch, USD $700. Especially with the current exchange rate :wired::tongue: a lot of money, but hey whats the point of working if you cant buy things you enjoy.

I will stick with the keychron/GMMK Pro for now............... (thats what everyone say's lol).

8. metalrain

metalrain Member

Yeah it's excessive and my keyboard friends tell me not to do it, but the more they do, the more I want lol

It's a NiZ Duo82 with all the bells and whistles. Got someone willing to sell theirs as soon as they receive it :shock:

9. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Hi metalrain, my apologies for all of the questions. As the GMMK has south facing LED, what keycaps are best used to get the RGB lighting to shine through well? Tried googling and not a lot of information.

I ordered some Gateron Pro Yellows from Aliexpress which have a clear top so should help. Definitely dont want side text on the keys, but want to use the RGB lighting to its fullest.

Was going to buy red switches as well due to how long it takes for shipping, but decided to just stay with the yellows for now. Currently using reds.

Cheers

10. metalrain

metalrain Member

Hmmm, shine through via south facing RGB might be an issue, but I found with the Polycarbonate Plate upgrade does allow for more RGB to leak though and makes the shine through brighter. If you don't have that PC plate yet, I might be able to get one for you for cheap early next year.

11. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

12. metalrain

metalrain Member

13. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Hey Metalrain, I would love those! Thank you. Will send you a private message.

Cheers,

14. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Hi Guys, received my new Keychron Q1 with knob today. All switches installed and keycaps on (thanks Metalrain :D).

All seems good. Now, I disabled the windows in Win10, so it doesnt work. On the keyboard on the keys to the right of the keyboard, I have ALT, FN and Ctrl. The FN key is also not working. Is it associated with the corresponding windows key being disabled or do I have to program the keys using software?

I have swapped the switch out with another new one and it still doesnt work. Sigh, just my luck.

Cheers

metalrain likes this.
  15. metalrain

metalrain Member

Might be a bit repetitive, but check if you haven't bent any of the switch pins, and just be very careful when you put them in. Align it properly and press it in via the centre of the switch stem. If any of the pins are bent, you can just straighten them out with tweezers or the back of something flat and solid like a metal ruler.

If everything is peachy, just check it out via the Keychron key modifier software and trouble shoot there. With these 75% keyboards, there isn't that many default Fn key combos apart from controlling the RGB leds.

EDIT: If the pins are straight and you have done everything software side to get it working and still no luck, the actual hot swap socket might have been bent so it doesn't make contact. You can easily fix it by getting a tiny flat head screw driver (like those jewellery/watch ones) and prying the contacts closer to the middle.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  16. JaC

JaC Member

Is the fn key meant to register in the os? On my keychron keyboard it's used for controlling the Bluetooth and lighting functions within the keyboard and doesn't register with the os. Unsure if it's programmable and that can be changed, but that's how it was out of the box

17. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Just an update, the FN key does work. As JaC mentioned it wont work in the OS, but works to change various things like the RGB etc. Good now.

Pretty happy with the Keychron Q1 with knob so far, with what little time I have used it. The pudding keycaps I got from metalrain look great. Thanks again mate.

Now to go down the rabbit hole with QMK and VIA to program the capslock key to show all red when it is selected. Time to find some videos etc. I have the .json file for the keyboard and software.

Hopefully I wont stuff it up.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    metalrain likes this.
  18. metalrain

metalrain Member

Oh yeah sorry just realised what you meant. Yup. It's normal for the Fn key to not register by itself. Seems like everything is working out, happy that you're happy with the keycaps too :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  19. metalrain

metalrain Member

New year, new me, new keyboard. Finally managed to source that *near* end game for me. NiZ Micro 82, with RGB and wireless. :D

138A5196.JPG

Going to swap out the domes for another set of BKE domes, like I did with the Atom 68, but not sure if I should go with the Deskeys or the Redux V2 this time around.

After that, next step is to source that Duo 82 gasket mount aluminium chassis, but that will cost me around $500 USD or so :Paranoid:

adz likes this.
  20. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

Very nice looking keyboard there mate! Love the look and style. Are the alloy chassis readily available? Glad you have found your near end grail. Enjoy :D

metalrain likes this.