OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. metalrain

metalrain Member

Thanks, I've wanted that Topre switch experience in 75% for so long, and this is probably closest I'll get to lol. The Duo 82 hasn't competed it's GB yet, has been delayed for a few months but I'm talking to a few disgruntled GBuyers right now, trying to see if I can buy into their so spot or when it gets delivered

adz likes this.
  2. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

So im wanting to go over to the land of mech, what would people recommend that is the closest feature-wise (media controls, RGB backlight keys and macro keys only, not the LCD) to a logitech G510? would prefer silent keys as I share spaces with others and late-night typing can be an issue.

Only issue it has to be from JB as I have a gift card that I'm wanting to use towards it.

metalrain likes this.
  3. metalrain

metalrain Member

Do you still want a full size/100% keyboard or are you willing to go somewhat smaller form factor?

4. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

full size would be ideal as I use the num pad from time to time so having the option would be nice.

5. metalrain

metalrain Member

And what is your budget? Range is a bit limited at JB Hifi, but there are some nice pre-builts there. Albeit a bit pricey lol

6. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Corsair K68 with Cherry Reds. Then get some o-rings if you need to make them quieter.

JB has the cherry mx board 3 with silent reds but silent reds are garbage in my opinion. I'd rather use a membrane than go back to silent red/silver.

7. metalrain

metalrain Member

8. micsway123

micsway123 Member

ever since I swapped my board from the drop CTRL to a GMMK Pro I've noticed myself double keying/tapping when typing, the odd keystroke registering twice for some reason, no idea why but keen to hear anyone else has ever experienced this?

wonder if it's something to do with my specific setup (stock plate, boba u4 slient switches, 62g springs, lubbed, gmk keycaps).

wondering if swapping the plate to Polycarb or springs would fix this issue, I like to bottom out a lot and tend to smash my keys when typing I find.

9. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

I find it's a switch issue most of the time. Are specific keys are chattering, if so, try replacing said switches.

Alternatively, you can try this, or these open-source alternatives.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    micsway123 likes this.
  10. metalrain

metalrain Member

It sounds like a switch issue yeah. I didn't have any problems myself when I ran with the same switches (but unlubbed) on either the stock alu or PC upgrade plate.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  11. micsway123

micsway123 Member

thanks will give that a try, did some testing and cant see it's specific to any keys, seems to happen randomly and never with the old board + same switches, wondered if it was something specific to the board + switch combo and or I'm just not used to typing on it enough, app looks interesting so might give that a go if the issue persists!

12. metalrain

metalrain Member

If the switches are fine, take a look at from underneath the keyboard. See if any of the hotswap pins are loose or not in contact with each other.

Though, Gazzew also did not recommend lubing his switches, could be an issue with some of the lubing too

micsway123 likes this.
  13. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Figured it's time for my first ~premium~ kb and jumped in on the mammoth75 GB. Black/Alu mirror PVD with a few extras. Figure the few months between now and shipping will be good for decide on all the other bits.

Only mucked around with budget options over the last 5-10 years so this should be fun.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    metalrain and h2oxide like this.
  14. metalrain

metalrain Member

Dat knob tho :eek:

15. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

As soon as I saw it made the knob on my nj80 feel inadequate :tired:

16. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

I was looking at that one it looked good, if they have an RGB version then it would be ideal (I dont like red LED as its too bright)

the budget would be up to about $250 but im unsure if that is enough for a good one. I don't want to spend stupid money on one just one that is good for coding work (no gaming).

I saw JB has the new mountain keyboards but I'm not sure how good they are. They seem new so reviews are still "its new and great phase"

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  17. metalrain

metalrain Member

Mountain Keyboards are interesting for the modularity, but at that price point, that gimmick seems over priced. One of the annoying things about it is that it's limited to 3 pin switches if you get the barebones unit or want to swap out the stock ones that comes with (which you should) You'll need to clip the two extra prongs of each 5 pin switch if you want to use them on that keyboard. I dunno, that's probably the best keyboard there on JB Hifi, but yeah if you don't have to buy one from there, I would recommend looking at getting into customs, especially if you can downsize to a TKL or 75% keyboard.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  18. metalrain

metalrain Member

Hey, you've had this for a while now, how is it working out for you?

19. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

I just wanted to update. I ended up buying a Keychron Q1 V2 (knob) direct. In black, bare bones.

As I was still waiting for my yellow Gateron Pro's to arrive from Alli express, I decided to buy some local switches. I have only ever used linear switches before, red's and brown's.

Metalrain suggested I try something different, so purchased some Kailh Purple Pro's from Mwave:

Kailh Mechanical Keyboard Switches Pro Purple 120 Pack - KAI-PURPLE | Mwave

"Pro switches are the best of both worlds between Box and Speed switches. They have a shorter travel/activation distance than box switches but a greater distance than speed switches."

I understand they are more of a tactile switch and so far I really like them. I dont really have anything to compare too as I have only had Corsair keyboards in the past.

The typing and sound experience of the Keychron Q1 and purple switches is still very different to the Corsair though. I am really enjoying the current cetup.

Cheers

metalrain likes this.
  20. metalrain

metalrain Member

Get JB to price match https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/678426