1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. RnR

RnR Member

I may have missed it... but the article doesn't mention what keyboard combo managed to rack up $7500 in costs?

2. micsway123

micsway123 Member

i'm bored and want some new (cheapish) switches to play with, was thinking gateron milky yellow, yay/nay?

3. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I had them in my epomaker that I built before I got my wooting. They feel like a Cherry Black.

4. micsway123

micsway123 Member

nice, I'll give them a spin, so cheap so no regrets

5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Time to replace the trusty DAS Professional S which has served me well for over a decade. Looking for something similar really, so wired with USB ports on it, brown switches, full size with numpad, not too fussed about RGB etc. Not really interested in going full banana and building something from scratch etc. Not afraid to spend a bit of money but not pointlessly. Thoughts?

6. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

How many ports? even the Das Prime 13 (which seems to basically be the same board with some LED's) only has one of them. Same with the Logitech G512 and Corsair K70.

7. Elmf

Elmf Member

RK84 has two USB ports it seems. Using one as my daily.

8. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Well, two ports would be nice. But I can get away with one. The reason is that my desk is pretty big and the PC is way over on the left down low and my mouse is way over on the right on top, and I find the mouse gets glitchy if I don't have the USB dongle nearby.. so in the keyboard is perfect. Plus it's good for plugging in SD card readers or my phone or whatever other USB device I want to copy stuff off.

Royal Kludge? :lol: Hmm, they seem to only have 1 model with numpad and it doesn't have USB ports.

This ticks a lot of boxes but looks freakin' enormous thanks to the macro keys etc: https://www.amazon.com.au/Redragon-K550-CUStomizable-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B00YMDYMYQ/
    Corsair K70S looks OK..

Man, it really seems like what I want is a newer DasKeyboard. Pricey though.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  9. RnR

RnR Member

Given that your last one went the distance for a decade and considering the number of hours you sit in front of it, seems they deserve their price?

I'm on a HHKB Pro 2 from 2009... yes expensive, but still going strong.

MUTMAN and adz like this.
  10. brayway

brayway Member

Had a DAS4 Professional until recently, dual USB, was a great board until I spilled coffee on it :(

11. Humane

Humane Member

^ this

If you spend much time at your computer it's worth having good peripherals, just like mechanics buy good tools.

- Written on my HHKB Pro 2 (DATE: 2012)

12. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I'm not opposed to buying another DasKeyboard, and in fact the Pro 4 is looking like the front-runner currently. But I know there are a _lot_ of options out there so wanted to explore first. :)

edit: ordered the Pro 4 with Cherry Brown switches. Seems like the logical successor to my current Pro Model S. $287.60 shipped from Scorptec thanks to OCAU member code!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    MUTMAN, adz, metalrain and 2 others like this.
  13. brayway

brayway Member

Great choice, and the exact same move I did a while back. If I hadn't spilled Coffee on it I'd still be using it now too!

14. millsy

millsy Member

Ordered a keychron Q3 to replace my now failing OG filco majestouch with blues. Gonna pick up some box jades to go with it hopefully for additional racket

adz and brayway like this.
  15. metalrain

metalrain Member

Das keyboards are still pretty good for pre-builts, but at that price point, I would have just considered a more modern, up-to-date custom keyboard and a separate USB hub

16. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I don't really want to go down the custom route. I'm very time poor currently and don't need a new project. :)

adz likes this.
  17. joep

joep New Member

Anyone know where to buy Keychron stuff? Specifically Keychron K8 hotswapable with white backlight? It's out of stock on Keychron.net.au and Amazon....

18. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Here

19. adz

adz Member

I love the clicky box switches, so much thock :thumbup:

20. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Does anyone know where to find simple WoB PBT Keycaps that look very similiar to the Filco ABS set. Seems near impossible to find any set that replicate them.