1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

also check your local pawn shops, mine has a variety of cheap mech keyboards or CEX.

2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I picked up a GMK87 barebones from AliExpress the other night - 60 bucks delivered for the board itself which I didn't think was bad, even if it turns out a clone. Reviews were good, will be nice to have an onboard rotary encoder and the little LCD is a nice bonus.
    I've been super happy with my Glorious TKL (previously with Akko Jelly Purples, now with Kailh Box Silvers - big difference I'm still making my mind up on), so I'm hoping the new board makes it a tough choice as to which one goes to work!

3. Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

I thought that was just a multimedia button. What can you use the lcd and encoder for? Do you need to use their proprietary software?

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

returned 2x logi mx mech mini's today.
    1st one wasnt registering keypress reliably and the 2nd (replacement) was warpped and rocked on a flat surface while typing ...
    lovely keyboard with severe quality issues.
    recommend avoidance :thumbup:

i'll just grab a keychron TKL of some description as a replacement

VirtualNinja likes this.
  5. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Knob is for Volume control. Lcd has 3 screens, two are for gifs, the other shows time, connection type, battery status

juzz86 likes this.
  6. juzz86

juzz86 Member

There seem to be a couple of 'skins' of it, but I always find Ali a trove of knock-offs and clones anyway.

As far as I can tell, the LCD is just for time/status (and maybe a gif or two), but I'm hopeful the rotary encoder will be programmable in VIA or something else so I can map it to mouse scroll and do away with the little macro pad I have currently.

I haven't read if this is possible, because who does research before they jump on a good price?

MUTMAN and Jonesy_sa like this.
  7. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Was posting a while back about a keyboard with a huge enter key. Got this one used. Put the keys in a mesh bag through the washing machine etc and replaced those pesky windows keys with something meritorious :leet:

Attached Files:

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

Looking to replace my current mechanical keyboard, I spilt coffee on it a few months ago and all was working well with it until the last week, got a few buttons that are now inconsistent and aren't in the same area so may as well replace it. Any recommendations for a silent mechanical keyboard or any that I should avoid? I predominately work from home and don't do much gaming at all and prob looking to spend around $100, 150 at the most.

9. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Silicone o-rings under the keycaps on cherry switches are great. They make for a softer typing experience that is much quieter. Pretty easy to find a cheap mech keyboard with nice cherry switches.

sic_vl2000 likes this.
  10. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

https://keychron.com.au/products/keychron-v6-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard
    Fully assembled with K Pro Red switches. If that's not silent enough then do an o-ring mod as mick says.

Amazon currently has a special on the Tecware TWKB Blue Switch. $67 delivered. HyperX full size on their Red switch for $143.

Ducky Origin Phantom on Cherry Reds is $150, Montech MKey Darkness is on Gateron Yellows for $160.

VirtualNinja likes this.
  11. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

The keychron does look interesting, it might be worth a shot.
    I've actually got that Tecware keyboard at the moment, the wife doesn't like it as she says its too loud and can hear me from the other room.

macktheknife likes this.
  12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

k1 max is floating my boat. just about to pull the trigger :)

Mickatroid likes this.
  13. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

There are a number of 'silent' switches available (I've seen them on Hipyotech videos) though I've no idea how much they cost probably not cheap.

Have you given your existing PCB a good clean etc? If the PCB is OK then it might still be a solid base to build from.

14. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Update re my Cougar Attack2 mechanical keyboard.

When I pulled the keyboard apart (in order to desolder the stabilised switches) I found that it had been put together in such a way that it really didn't want to be desoldered. The pins were VERY short, almost as if they'd been snipped once soldered. Tried to desolder with some wick (dad's desoldering gun died a while back) and a few other hacks methods and nothing worked. Or at least, nothing that wouldn't be likely to break things.
    Well, got one switch out and the drama involved led me to conclude it wasn't worth it.
    So I gave up on that idea.

I did test the actual 1! key switch and it is working so why the 1! key fails intermittently is anyone's guess.

Also the PCB and plate are bonded together (not sure if this is usual, doubt it) and bugger all room inside case so the only mod I could do was the tape mod. That has noticeably improved the keystroke sound but it's basically gone from shit to 'slightly less shit'. The overall board sound is still pingy due to no foam etc.

This board was definitely not to meant to be fiddled with.

On the upside at least it's nice and clean now, but I am still interested in getting a new hotswap keyboard to tide me over for years, and will hopefully get a Keychron Q5 Max at some point.

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to the discussion and helped answer my questions. :thumbup: :)

15. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

When I told my wife how much I want to spend on a KB, she (as aforementioned a big fan of a very shitty membrane keyboard) said I was stupid and cited the low cost of a 'perfectly good' keyboard and there's no need.

As this is not quite serious enough a matter for a divorce - any advice? :D

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

Tell her it will cost much more when you get carpal tunnel from typing on a crappy keyboard.

vladtepes and VirtualNinja like this.
  17. Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

Tell her she can’t file divorce papers on a faulty keyboard.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    vladtepes and macktheknife like this.
  18. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

hot swappable switches, much better for the environment less e waste.

vladtepes likes this.
  19. metalrain

metalrain Member

Tell her that these things are an investment and it'll be an easy pill to swallow;

https://www.norbauer.co/products/titanium-editions?variant=46919218364724

That's in USD btw and keyboard internals are not included, so add another $1,000 in there for the electronics and keycaps and accessories.

20. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

ouch :) that price! Crazy.

I love your responses, especially
    Maybe I'll have a chance next payday or so.

Cheers all

macktheknife and metalrain like this.