1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. metalrain

metalrain Member

Haha I personally wouldn't spend that much on a single keyboard no matter how nice it feels. I've mostly got "mid tier" stuff at the most with Keychron and Niz keyboards, they're about $300 to $450 each taking into account everything. But yeah, if you spend, say $50 you can get a basic yet decent stock mechanical keyboard, but I think the "sweet spot" is around the $150 mark where you can get a nice CNC'd aluminium chassis/case with modern features and decent switches and keycaps. From there, you can upgrade them with fancier switches, plates, PCBs and of course keycaps, but that's the nice stuff that you don't need to worry about if you wanna control your budget.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    vladtepes likes this.
  2. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

It is such an endless rabbit hole, I think the key is finding what switches you like. If you don't gel with the switches, it really doesn't matter what bare keyboard you have, it will still feel bad.

I recently cleaned the switches on my old cherry browns keyboard that I had used for many years. I couldn't believe how bad they felt compared to the current switches I use.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

ordered Monday night, in the parcel locker at midday today ... damn
    keychron dont muck around shipping :thumbup::thumbup:

back of the box
    PXL_20240404_064524486.jpg

inside first opening
    PXL_20240404_064603029.jpg

included goodies
    PXL_20240404_064707185.jpg

the quik start book is 20 pages :)
    and of course, the K1 MAX!
    PXL_20240404_065042545.jpg

some sexy profile shots and leg heights
    PXL_20240404_073900560.jpg

PXL_20240404_073846355.jpg

PXL_20240404_073829964.jpg

PXL_20240404_073928342.jpg

edit - not sure what i think of the gateron browns just yet. they dont have the same feel as the cherry mx browns i have in my other boards ....
    keycaps are smooth and soft at the same time though. i do like these already :D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    yoink and macktheknife like this.
  4. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Keychron Aus? They're real good. The distributor is Melbourne based and i've always gotten my stuff within a day or 2

Tell me about this parcel locker because i've still yet to understand...I can get a parcel locker address via my AusPost account but then HOW do i collect it?

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

You pick a locker location near you then their app gives you a code to open the specific locker they put your item in once it arrives.

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yes
    i tend to agree right now :)

as mac has said, you get an address, looks like

mutman
    Parcel Locker 10000 12345
    1 YourParcelLocker Street
    and Suburb

when a parcel arrives they send a SMS and a email with a QR code
    goto locker scan code, enter phone number, door pops open.
    take goodies, close door
    get email saying parcel pickup

:)

and its free

most couriers can drop via them, but I've noticed FedEx used to have some issues and make AUPost pickup the parcel from their depot... added a few days or more to the insanity. but seems they've worked it out and now the delay is only an extra day.

7. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Thanks lads. Now to scope it out and try it. The last 3 deliveries i've had have all needed signature which I wasnt told about til posted and i rarely can be home during business hours. It's a real PITA.

8. metalrain

metalrain Member

You can even redirect your orders to a parcel collection, but that usually adds another day to the estimated delivery date. Still, it can be handy if you need signature on delivery and there's no getting home in time.

jpw007 and MUTMAN like this.
  9. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

Thanks guys, I ended up getting Keychron V6 QMK Custom Mechanical Keyboard, just got to pick it up from the post office now. Will let you know what I think of it.

macktheknife and VirtualNinja like this.
  10. Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

My GMK67, switches and key caps arrived :)
    Can anyone suggest a YouTube that explains how to assemble everything? I’m sure it’s intuitive.

11. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

It comes assembled does it not? Just install the switches in the hot swap sockets and the keycaps atop those; first minute of this video.

12. Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

Correct; I wasn't sure if there was a certain way to install them or if they just push in. All vids assumed this knowledge:)

13. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Gotcha. Yep just rotate the switch so the two pins align with the socket and push those bad boys straight in. You'll likely run into bent/crushed pins when trying; you can straighten them back out with a pair of mini pliers, precision tweezers, or thick fingernails.

Jonesy_sa and MUTMAN like this.
  14. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Hope it treats you well Jonesy!
    I'm putting my GMK87 together tonight too - all here and ready to go! :thumbup:

MUTMAN and Jonesy_sa like this.
  15. metalrain

metalrain Member

I'd like to add that these sockets should to be supported with an equal amount of pressure as you are pressing down on the switches, you can do it with your thumb, but it's honestly easier to take out the whole PCB from the case and place it on a deskpad or anti-static mat when applying pressure down the stem of the switches.

juzz86 likes this.
  16. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Having not read your post beforehand mate - wholeheartedly endorse. The number of switch contacts I'd sandwiched was embarassing. Next time, I will drag the board down and do it properly. Thankfully the switches were all recoverable, but lesson learned.

17. Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

Still working on the gmk67. I ended up pulling it down and removing a plastic glad wrap like film. The internet said it was there as a dampener but trying to push in the switches through was a nightmare. It wasn’t pre punched.

See here:

Whilst partially apart I put the switches in but it wasn’t a simple push and click. In many cases the plastic grid they click into pushed down and I had to lift it a tad to lock the switch.

now just figure out what key cap goes where lol

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024 at 9:52 PM
    juzz86 likes this.
  18. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

The grid you're referring to is called a plate, and it likely depressed when you tried to push the switches through because its soft (polycarbonate). To prevent this, you can purchase/3d print something called a plate fork.

juzz86 and Jonesy_sa like this.
  19. Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

Cheers. This would have made things easier. I’ll have to get one.

20. juzz86

juzz86 Member

So I enjoy the feel of new board very much - I've paired this one with Akko Cream Yellow Pro's and a set of darkened translucent keycaps from AliExpress.

VIA didn't work at all, regardless of online/offline and JSON loaded. I'll keep playing, but it looks like the macro board persists for now.

The keycaps are also great to the touch, but don't work well with the south-facing LEDs on the GMK87. I'll replace with a nice set of opaque I think, which will top it off nicely and leave the RGB as a halo.

A good thunk and a nice heft - for the money, I'm happy. The badgers/badgers/badgers gif is just a bonus. The switches are delightful :thumbup: