OCAU Mechanical Keyboard Thread (No selling here, please use the Trading Forums)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stenchlord, Jul 15, 2011.

1. hooked_on

hooked_on Member

Hi

I posted this on Whirlpool, but also used here as a reference so thank you to everyone!

I have read through quite a bit of this forum and found some quite helpful information. I recently bought myself a new gaming computer after using Notebooks for the last 8 years or so... I bought a Logitech G110 with the new computer and was very disappointed.

After reading this forum and doing a little research of my own i purchased a Filco MultiCam TenKeyLess from AusPCMarket with the Cherry MX Blue switches.

This is my first mechanical keyboard, but i had a play with the Razer Blackwidow and the Termaltake Meka G1 and prefered the feel of the Blue switches compared the Black...

Looking forward to getting it today and a big thanks for all your posts and information.

Andrew

2. cazzy160344

cazzy160344 Member

I bought the exact same keyboard a month or so ago and I still love it as much as I did when I first got it, I'm sure you'll be stoked with the purchase :thumbup:

3. ravescar

ravescar Member

These "design and usability" reason have been shot to the hell by the geekhack and other PC forums already.

1. It is NOT cheaper to have different type of switches on a single PCB instead of using just 1 switch type, corsair rep themselves confirmed this, so cost is not a factor here.

2. Accord to Corsair Rep, the reason they use rubber dome is because Cherry Red are very light and they want to prevent double-tapping of the FN/Esc key. Now how many people who currently OWN a mechanical keyboard complain about double tapping FN/ESC keys? if they wanted to stop double tapping they could have used stiffer key like Cherry Black.

3. K90/K60 would not be the first keyboard that mix the rubber dome and Cherry MX switches, Kinesis already have that honour and and the NO.1 complaint for these keyboard(beside price) from their user? the rubber domes on F1-F12 row!

4. there are plenty of other $90 keyboard that is fully mechanical, why not Corsair?

5. they are marketing this as mechanical keyboard when these are not fully mechanical, in a market where 99% of every other mechanical keyboard is...fully mechanical.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  4. davo-cc

davo-cc Member

on the Corsair K60/K90 issue - I actually tried these at a product launch recently. I did notice that there were keys that were rubber dome though I didn't try the FN keys, just the extended programmable ones. The K60 was better than the backlit K90 I think; it felt like it was a better thought out product, the K90 wasn't as usable (it was plugged into the system running a demo overhead so my chance to try keys on it was a bit limited, not as much with the K60 which was easier to try out and gave me my first try of cherry red switches). I didn't feel like the K90 was as good a product somehow, it just didn't seem... right.

I actually quite liked the K60 and seriously considered getting one, I really liked the light red switches and I rather liked the design of the volume dial on the top right corner.
    As it turns out though I ended up going down an entirely different path with a Topre Realforce 103ub (as far from backlit as you can get!) though as I really wanted to try that switching mechanism. The K60 had the replaceable keycaps with rubber-coating for WASD, etc. - interesting idea, I can imagine it's good for gaming but may be annoying for general typing. The wrist-rest was a big surprise, really useful and comfortable for the left hand especially when gaming.

5. ravescar

ravescar Member

I am interested as to why you think that way when you try it, since K90 on paper does not seem to be that much different from K60, they share the same aluminium frame, K90 just just have extra backlight, macro keypad, bigger wristrest and probably different keycaps.

does the keycap feel different or something? or that it look ugly with backlight?

6. davo-cc

davo-cc Member

To be fair to the K90 I didn't get that much time with it compared to the K60 (the 90 was running the display system) but the switching didn't feel as sure somehow... I think there's been some kind of feel compromise with the installation of the lighting under the keycaps. Don't take that impression as gospel though; this could have been a pre-release product for the demo, I can't be sure (there were two stands sporting the K60 which also surprised me, one showing completely different gear and they just grabbed a K60 from somewhere).

I think the rubber dome feel of the function keys may have influenced my impression but the general feel of the main keys, even though the rep said they were cherry reds - didn't feel as sure footed as the K60. Both have this rather strange layout of a metal slab with the keys sticking out of it, no surround; it actually diminishes from the overall impression you get of the unit unfairly (in my mind I was comparing it to the Filco Majestouch 2 brown I bought for work). This is going to be a psychological thing but it still has an effect on the impression.

The K90's backlighting wasn't strong, I think it's roughly 40% more than the really weak backlighting that my old (original series) G15 had; nowhere near the Deck or some of the others I've seen (especially the pictures of the Ducky Shine when it's on full backlighting). It's one to really try hands-on as it's such a mixed bag of impressions; like I said though it could have been an early or pre-prod unit so it'd be unfair to go solely on that impression.

7. glasswindow

glasswindow Member

My G15 fell off my desk two weeks ago and tugged my cord so hard i have to kink it at 90 deg for the keyboard to work.

I just pre-orded a Ducky Shine Brown from XTREME SIM GEAR when they get it back in stock. I just hope its not too loud for my thin walls + house mates =P

8. Lenqt

Lenqt Member

Just ordered a Black Widow Ultimate :)

9. brayway

brayway Member

Argh, I was warned that you get used to not bottoming out the mech keyboards, and Now I am so used to not doing it, and typing faster on my mech. Now i am using a dome KB at Uni, and keep missing keys as i'm not bottoming them out :o

10. millsy

millsy Member

I got a mech so I could belt the shit out of it, not having any issues with dome kb's so far :thumbup:

11. brayway

brayway Member

It's not a problem, it's just that i have gotten so used to the light keys on the Meh, that i'm not used to the normal keys on the HP KBs here

12. BIG.TICKET

BIG.TICKET Member

That happened to me too after used the Cherry Reds for 3 months so I switched over to my Model M to get used to banging harder on the keys.

13. mr626

mr626 Member

Some updated pics of my KBC Poker. 'Sys' doubleshot keycaps from some random dude from Bulgaria (true story). Thanks Vlad!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I should post some shots of my Leopold board sometime. Fantastic board, but I think it looks a little 'busy' at the moment (has RGB modifiers plus the same sys keycaps replacing the windows keys).

14. Lycaon

Lycaon Member

So I 'basically' followed everyone's instructions and picked up an FC500R with Cherry Blue's.

Arrived in a FC300R box with a label saying 'FC500R' taped on top :lol:, thankfully it was the correct keyboard however.

Man is this thing heavy though, I was worried it'd break my desk when I first picked it up. Overall the typing is excellent, I like the 'clackyness' and the feedback from the keys too. Seems to have improved my typing speed/accuracy as well.

I don't find the clicking too loud either, but then again I'm wearing headphones 90% of the time.

Cheers all for the excellent recommendation, can't imagine typing on anything else :thumbup:

15. mr626

mr626 Member

That's the exact board I have at work. Excellent choice for a first board, glad you like it.

I'm pretty sure the labelling thing is normal- either the FC500R are sold under a different model number elsewhere, or for some reason Leopold just decided to change it after having already printed the box art. Mine was the same- no big deal.

16. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Er wtf? I'm from Bulgaria (not even joking here)

17. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

I have just done exactly this. ^ Leopold fullsize in blue $121 delivered from pccg. Same money as an ebay fullsize but it came overnight instead of maybe within a month, and seems to be a better board. Will see how it goes when I grab it from work tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  18. mr626

mr626 Member

Oops, misread your post sorry.

Haha, there must be some correlation between Bulgaria and mech keyboard nutters!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  19. ravescar

ravescar Member

Yeah i have this issue as well alternating between G15 and my Cherry Red.

I consider it ok though because on the other hand, i will be able to type on kb longer without my hand getting tired.

20. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

And I do know a Bulgarian called Vlad (although he lives in Perth)