OCAU Mi Goreng Noodles Club

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by brodsta, Mar 28, 2007.

1. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

my wifey cooks a mean mi goreng. she adds vegies on it and fish balls.

2. millsy

millsy Member

Lunch at work was saved with 2 packs of mi goreng i keep for emergencies :D

3. Thrillward

Thrillward New Member

I'm new to Overclockers and this looked like the logical place to make my first post, seeing as how I am eating Mi Goreng right now. I would also like to express my interest in joining this exclusive club. Any number is fine, so long as I am a member.

Peace out and make sure you use the onion flakes.

4. zdream

zdream Member

I always add extra onion flakes :) buy a container of it for a couple bucks at any asian grocer. WIN!

5. Crashish

Crashish New Member

lol mills... i do exactly that as well.. god i love them...

i really should join as well... usually gp thru 10 packs of them a week....

6. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

I just mixed satay flavour and original flavour in one. Absolutely delicious.

7. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

That's the base for my awesome lunch. 1 pack satay, 1 pack original, a can of tuna or shredded chicken, and a handful of frozen veggies.

Mi Goreng FTMFW :thumbup:

8. migoreng

migoreng Member

mmm noodles for lunch :)

Just curious, do you guys buy migoreng from Woolies, etc or do you buy boxes from asian groceries?

There's also a Sumin brand (have seen other brands too) migoreng container in woolies...it's not bad..the original indomie is the best
    ;)

Even Mamak restaurant near Chinatown in the Sydney CBD has their own migoreng style noodles..I ate there a few weeks ago it's not too bad.

9. Queenie

Queenie Member

boxes from asians.

10$ for 40, or 2$ for 5?

10. ScrumpyJim

ScrumpyJim Member

I used to buy from woolies. But I have started buying them in boxes now from asian grocers.

I found a place in Sunnybank that sells them.

Yuen's Market in market square shopping centre( the one diagonally across from the big main shopping centre). I get mine for $10.99 for a box of 30 of the import ones. Decent sized shop (whole aisle of noodles) and I also got some Sriracha chilli sauce there =D

11. RezZed

RezZed Member

I would definitely love to be part of this establishment, had some dry on the bus home and they still taste awesome :D. As for my number I would like 999 but if that's taken it doesn't matter just as long as I'm in.

12. OP
    OP
    brodsta

brodsta Member

Wouldn't worry too much about the number... got slack and stopped updating the list a year ago. Just add the line to your sig! :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  13. magicalsteve

magicalsteve Member

Hey guys, just thought I'd throw this in:

Indomie MiGoreng noodles use palm oil, it's a pretty controversial oil for health and environmental impacts, so I've tested out the two competitors.

There's Trident Migs, they use vegetable oil, but I gotta say their noodles don't taste as good. The flavourings don't mix as easily either.

There's also the Maggi Fusian range. They also use vegetable oil but I find their equivalent to the Indomie original flavour (soy and mild spice) is pretty much the same.

They also seem to be on average 40-50 Kcalories less per serve.

I think I'm gonna swap over to Fusian :)

14. spludgey

spludgey Member

Palm oil can be advertised as vegetable oil...

15. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

This reminds me I am going to Brisbane on Friday and there is a Place in Spring Hill that does the best real Mi Goreng I have ever tasted. Looking forward to it already.

16. magicalsteve

magicalsteve Member

Thanks, I didn't know that. The Fusian noodles do specify that the oil in the sachet is shallot oil, but not the noodle cake. So they might only use half as much palm oil instead of none.

I'll compare the nutritional info of Indomie / Fusian at the shop and see which has the least saturated fats, that's what it comes down to.

On another note:

Sometimes I get the 'whoooa I just ate cheap noodles' feeling in the stomache/head (worth it!). But I tried a serve of noodles without adding the powdered flavour sachet and I was totally fine. Of course that's where most of the flavour comes, so the idea is to use only as much of the powder as you need.

Happy noodling.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  17. t3h

t3h Member

I'd have to agree there. Plus, they're a lot more expensive :)

(still not finished the box of 40 BTW, lol)

18. lithos

lithos Member

I think the "shallot" in "shallot oil" refers to the fact that there's fried shallots in the (unspecified) oil, not that the oil comes from shallots (I don't know if there'd be any oil to be had from shallots, really.)

19. magicalsteve

magicalsteve Member

Bugger it, I think you're right. My vegetable oil hypothesis has been debunked. Palm oil all round, chaps.

20. Thrillward

Thrillward New Member

And where exactly might this place be in Spring Hill that does the best real Mi Goreng you have tasted? Incidentally the name of said establishment?

Hah! Just realised I had migoreng noodles with my stir-fry for dinner earlier. I remember the days when it was a treat, now its part of my staple-diet. Fun times.