OCAU Official Poll on Mandatory Internet Filtering in Australia

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Dec 1, 2008.

?

Do you support the idea of mandatory internet filtering in Australia?

1. I support the Mandatory Internet Filtering proposal

46 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. I do NOT support the Mandatory Internet Filtering proposal

3,991 vote(s)
    97.5%
  3. I am undecided

26 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. I don't care

29 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. Jay

Jay Member

2. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Wont someone please think of the childr..... oh i see little bobby is tunnelling via a free US based proxy to look at that innapropriate material. Time to shout at the govt. because they failed to parent my kids for me!

If the poll had a question like this, the result may have been a little different;

Q: Do you support a filtering scheme that will end up costing millions of dollars through tax and raised internet access prices, given that the scheme is both impractical to implement and trivial to bypass?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  3. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Senator Stephen Conroy breaks silence over web filtering scheme

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24833959-2,00.html

LOL good luck with that, im not the most knowledgeable person around, unless the torrent is off a small picture file or document, theres no way they're going to be able to filter large content. :lol:

4. demaar

demaar Member

God, how much would that slow things down? Wouldn't it effectively double the download time on a torrent? I dunno, maybe there's some magic trick they can use to see what the content is before its chunks are reconstructed.

5. Grafton26

Grafton26 Member

Get real all Conroy wants is to dictate to us , he doesn't give a shit what we think or want. Even thought he bloody well should :thumbdn:

6. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

7. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

8. Grafton26

Grafton26 Member

I think he sounds like a dictator to me "The people need to be told what is good for them comrade"

9. mjd26

mjd26 Member

It will be interesting to see if my comment gets posted.
    I've posted the following as "Matt":

10. Rational

Rational Member

Honestly, you cannot create a rigged poll if you are trying to be an non partisan company. That question was fine in my opinion, it covered all of the bases required.

The aim of the plan in a positive light: The Government has proposed a system of internet filtering to prevent access to prohibited sites on the internet and protect children from inappropriate material.
    Description of the plan: The system will include mandatory nation-wide blocking on a range of ‘prohibited’ and ‘inappropriate’ material and an option for families who wish to limit access to a broader range of internet content.
    Failings of the plan: Opponents of this scheme say it is a form of censorship, will make the internet significantly slower and will not totally prevent distribution of illegal material.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  11. bmik

bmik Member

I'm not gonna read through the thread.

Voted "I don't care" because I genuinely don't.

I don't use the Internet to hoarde illegal content, and when I did I traded via means that were pretty hard to track (namely, encrypted private intranets, organizing physical CD trading, etc.). If I suddenly couldn't download illegal content it doesn't matter to me. It just means that part of my life is over and it's time to find something new to do with my time.

Parental filtering is, honestly, an idea I don't mind. Government filtering? Why not. I don't support these ideas although I don't disagree with them. The only thing I care about in regards to these things are the end cost to me. If my Internet bill goes up to support these facilities then I might care but, really, it's like taxes: part of the money I work for goes to the government which then goes to drug-using welfare families that abuse the system. I'm not going to stop working or start illegal cash-in-hand work to avoid that, and it's the same with this. I don't think about it, and if the cost is neglible, then I don't care.

The Internet is pretty shitty in Australia anyway in regards to speed and quality of (most) ISPs service. If the filter drops the speed by another, say 5%, I won't care because I can't notice it. Whatever the government filters won't affect me, and if it does, well I'm not about to impose self-exile just to get to a few extra links on the Internet. There are other ways to get information and I'm just not hardcore enough to care about anything that doesn't really affect me.

12. matthudson

matthudson Member

If it dropped the speed by 5% there would be very little opposition from the "it'll slow the net" camp.

The short story is we are looking at n 84% slowdown for anything resembling effective filtering. Welcome to the golden days of dialup internet speeds.

13. dead_man

dead_man Member

i still lol at how the NBN will effectivly double current speeds (im thinkin 24mbps to 50mbps max) and then a filter which will slow down the net to approx 1/3 of what we are using now

conroy has his head up his arse i think

14. Teddy Bar

Teddy Bar Member

Next they will be censoring what I may read about this ridiculous proposal that will be as affective as DRM has been in stopping the software pirates.

Who would have thought that such a preposterous proposal would ever fly?

15. LINUX

LINUX Member

People who don't have any technical training? Like, oh I don't know, politicians and a majority of the population?

16. jakiman

jakiman Member

Stupid "FEAR" tactics to get the non-informed general public to vote YES to this is just absurd.

Of but it's for the children.... Yeah right....

I have a baby boy. And he'll use internet I'm sure.
    No matter how well I stop him, he'll find a way if he really tries.
    All up to me to guide him right if need be.

No matter how good that "filter" is that the government are implementing, it WILL NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH anyways.

17. Dark_Greg

Dark_Greg Member

i see 2 choices:
    back flip and watch the opposition have a field day over it for the rest of his time in office over the ALP failing to follow through.
    or
    see the pilot through, watch it fail miserably, and watch the opposition have a field day over it for the rest of his time in office over the waste of public money on this miss-guided experiment.

I get the impression that the ALP thought this was a policy they could implement quietly and were not expecting the public backlash. Now its a poisoned chalice, no matter which way you slice it.

18. Jay

Jay Member

19. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

the question is..who voted in this government??...i know i didnt :mad:

20. matthew-r88

matthew-r88 Member

Voted for Labour, proud to admit it.

at least rudd's only trying to filter our internet and not our working conditions:D

but it will be interesting to see if massive comsumer backlash and industry leaders will have any effect on the governments decison

if they dont we may as well stayed with the lil weezel we knew