OCAU Official Poll on Mandatory Internet Filtering in Australia

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Dec 1, 2008.

?

Do you support the idea of mandatory internet filtering in Australia?

1. I support the Mandatory Internet Filtering proposal

46 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. I do NOT support the Mandatory Internet Filtering proposal

3,991 vote(s)
    97.5%
  3. I am undecided

26 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. I don't care

29 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

That's it, we're boned!

Just what I thought was going to happen, pick some small no-name, and from quick looks already pro-filtering, and some mum 'n dad ISP's completely away from the tech savvy users who would have shown how bad these filters would have been, which will now have these trials results guaranteed to be in the censors favour and the government practically has to put them in then

The government never makes a report without knowing what the outcome is and having it in their favour, no different here :thumbdn:

2. Revenger

Revenger Member

Scripted trials :thumbdn: looks like the government has all this scripted and will play it like a perfect choreographed stage act in there favor.

iiNet was told no because they were open about showing that the filter doesn't work optus well there a big isp and of course end results would show a proper picture they don't want.

And telstra doesn't care about the government anyway after the NBN was taken away from them.

And you surly have noticed 1 of the isp's in the trial are already filtering the net.

So everyone on that isp will vote yes to the filter as they already have one already and they chose and signed up to that isp knowing that there is a filter already there :thumbdn:

3. Jay

Jay Member

As well as the iprimus ceo already being fairly pro-filtering too.

4. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Article: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2009/02/26/1235237810486.html

Looks like the Great and Wonderful All Conquering Nothing Gets Through Me Internet Filter might be dead now.

<Opinion>If so, good riddance.</Opinion>

5. rush

rush Member

I'm liking Xenophon more by the day.

If he can be the one who single-handedly scuttles this stupid, stupid project then I will be forever grateful.

6. dead_man

dead_man Member

good news if its true.

7. vashez

vashez New Member

Good riddance. Hope the door molests your arse on the way out.

8. Kruzty

Kruzty Member

=D I owe him my internet!

9. Nova Phoenix

Nova Phoenix Member

+ googleplex

Early rumours seem to indicate that the web filter plan is dead.

Now if some parents weren't such stupid irresponsible moronic ***** (ps. don't think i'll be retracting that statement), then losers like Stephen Hitler wouldn't have the ammo to spew forth such ****!

10. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

+1 dude :thumbup:

i hope this thing is dead and buried :Pirate:

11. NolF

NolF Member

If his name shows up in the voting valet, I'll give it a tick

12. Grafton26

Grafton26 Member

Now this is more like it, "down with censorship" :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

13. LeadAccelerator

LeadAccelerator Member

Way to go Xeno. :thumbup::thumbup:

14. lavi

lavi Member

Wait is this the same guy that voted against the gov money handout (that $950/week) until the gov fast tracked payment for the Murray River project?

This guy is a fucking legend! he has my vote for PM!

15. blitzy

blitzy Member

better use of the money

Yes, imagine how good is it for a child, if they participate in a sport a couple of times a week, and goes camping in the great outdoors once a couple of months. Having to get the gears can contribute to the economy and the money for the damn wall can be used for rebates for the purchase.

Honestly, parents just have to get them outdoors instead of letting them sit in front of the computer.

16. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Unfortunately, not so quick: Xenophon opposes mandatory ISP filtering, but fight not over yet

In a nutshell, Xenophon has changed his mind about supporting any possible legislation for the filter - but there are other independents that may be swayed, and we know that Mr Nick can be bought for a couple billion to be put into the Murray river system. That and the fact that there is an election coming up for half the senate in 18-26 months means that Uncle Kevvie may get a majority in the upper house and not need any independents to ram the filter legislation through...

So there's one nail in the coffin, but it's not a stake through the heart (and garlic in the mouth and holy water sprinkled and silver nail through the tongue and a jig danced at the crossroads at midnight, etc etc)

17. revhed

revhed Member

It surprises me how short our political members memory are. I seem to remember this thing called "workchoices" that was hugely unpopular and highly criticized by a large portion of the population. The Government of the day failed to listen to the people and paid for it by being summarily voted out of power.

Fast forward to now and we have the current government trying to ram through legislation that the vast majority are against........Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it!!!

18. Grafton26

Grafton26 Member

That they are revhed :p

19. elstado

elstado Member

Never. This is a waste of time and resources.

20. Nefilim

Nefilim Member

wow - huge against result. I haven't used this account for 4 years but I decided to log on because my vote needs to be placed on this one. What absolute BS. You have Internet filtering in the schools and software for people - and you propose something like this in what you call a recession government ? way to waste money. Put the money towards generating more jobs. Not policing the freedom of all.