OCAU Playstation 3 Folding@Home Team - OCAU-PS3

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by trop, Oct 9, 2007.

1. trop

trop Member

OCAU-PS3 - OCAU's PS3 Folding Team​

With the backing of Agg & co, this thread is here to try and encourage OCAU’s PS3 community to fold for Team 24 (OCAU).

OCAU’s team is a major player in the world rankings, we have been number 1 in the past but currently have been relegated to 2nd place behind "The [H]orde" from [H]ardOCP. OCAU really needs all the help it can get if we're going to beat the yanks and get our first place spot back, so there is now a new sub-team called “OCAU-PS3” for all the PS3 owners who don't have a sub-team to fold for.

The steps for setting up your PS3 are outlined below aswell as some basic info on folding (thanks MWNP). If you have any questions feel free to ask them here or in the Distributed Computing thread which is linked below.

Trop.

Getting Started
    Folding on the PS3 is extremely easy to get up and running. Just download the Folding@Home client from the “Network” tab on your PS3, run through the setup and enter your “Team Number” as 24, and “Name” as OCAU-PS3. Once it starts, press Triangle to bring up the menu and go to "Mode" and set it to Advanced. Next go to "Settings" and enable the screensaver.

NOTE - If you upgrade the client to 1.2, you will need firmware 1.9 or higher on your PS3

Once that’s done, whenever you run the folding app you’ll be processing work units and contributing to OCAU-PS3 and thus the main Team 24 of OCAU.
    Each Work Unit (WU) takes around 8hrs to complete, so even if you only leave the PS3 on while you go to work/school, you’ll still be adding valuable points to OCAU’s stats and hopefully helping to cure some pretty horrible diseases. But of course being OCAU, we should all be running it 24/7 when you're not gaming ;)

Short FAQ about Folding@Home
    What is "Folding"?
    For those who haven't heard of folding@home, it’s a distributed computing project that conducts scientific experiments on a biological process called protein folding .
    Protein Folding or simply "Folding" is a biological process that occurs within cells. Proteins are a long molecule and when they are ready to do their work in a cell they fold, which is sort of like scrunching a piece of paper into a ball. Different proteins fold into different shapes and the shape that they fold into determines what they will do in the cell. Sometimes proteins mis-fold and become a different shape than they were meant to, this can be very bad and is thought to be the cause of many diseases. The Folding@Home project (run by Stanford University) investigates how proteins fold (and mis-fold).

Some diseases that are being researched by this project:
    Various cancers,
    Alzheimer's,
    Mad Cow disease,
    Parkinson's,
    and Huntington's disease.

How does Folding@Home work?
    Folding@Home is very similar to other distributed computing projects. People donate their spare CPU cycles (by installing a client app on their machine) and a master server will send out work for the client application to process. When it has finished, the client process sends the results back to the server. To keep track of how much work people have done and to reward those who donate their CPU-time, Stanford award points for each protein people fold. Each protein is referred to as a work unit (WU).

Links
    “OCAU-PS3” Stats Page - From withing the client, Press Triangle -> Information -> My Stats
    PS3 Folding FAQ - http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-PS3.html
    Stanford website - http://folding.stanford.edu/
    OCAU's folding page - http://www.ocau.com/folding
    The Distributed Computing forum at OCAU - http://forums.overclockers.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. Damion

Damion Member

nice work trop, My PS3 recently passed 110k for team 24.

Id go as far as saying at $700 the new 40g PS3 would be tho most cost effective rig out there for folding.

3. Cdr Zero

Cdr Zero Member

As of 1.2, the best way to run it is with screensaver mode and advanced mode enabled. You can enable these in the 'settings' and 'mode' menu's respectively.

With screensaver on it will, after 3 minutes, go to a blank screen with the Stanford folding@home logo that moves around the screen every now and then. According to Stanford you will save power and increase folding speeds with this on.

If you enable advanced mode you will get a wider variety of WU's, you will possibly get more points this way and you will get more interesting ones than the supervillin WU's on normal mode. You will also get an interesting graph and some new visualisation models.

4. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Cheers guys, i'v added your tips to the first post Cdr Zero.

Thanks to Deeman for the sticky.

5. Memph

Memph Member

Why do you have to have your name as OCAU-PS3 if your folding for the same team?
    I'm on my 79th WU as Memph for Team 24, Doesn't that still go towards OCAU's total?

6. SSJX

SSJX Member

Your name can be anything; anyone correct me if i'm wrong

As the long the team number is 24, it gets attributed to OCAU

7. genxor

genxor Member

I spotted this thread this morning and remembered that my PS3 had the folding client so I turned it on to get it going, only it couldn't download a WU. I thought it may be a net connection problem so I left it retrying by itself but it was still doing it an hour later. I gave up and turned it off, then tried again just before and got the same thing. Network settings are all good, NAT is open etc. Anyone else had that problem?

8. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Your name can be anything. If you are already folding your PS3 for a OCAU sub-team keep it going. We're just trying to pull in some new blood for the cause and hopefully by having everyone together as a sub-team keep people interested when the team starts climbing the charts.

Genxor - Haven't had that issue myself, but maybe try deleting the client and re-downloading it?

9. r8response

r8response Member

I've had that exact problem myself. it has only started happening since 1.2 was released.

All my connection settings are fine, as i can browse the PSN store and use the web browser

10. iCit

iCit Member

Slade found the same problem is this thread http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=603048 and found that you needed to update the PS3 to version 1.90 for it to work okay with the new Folding client.

Could be worth a try. :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Thanks iCit, info added to first post.

12. lahmyaj

lahmyaj Member

hey good to see a more 'official' thread for Folding on the PS3..

I've been working hard to try & get a lot of PS3 users to join in, whether it be with your team or mine - | Aussie Rules Footy | Team 52735 |.

See the thing is im a bit annoyed i didn't get too much support on the two threads i've posted to try and increase folding numbers.. Folding@Home - 1st Supercomputer to crack 1 Petaflop! & Playstation 3 - Folding@Home - Big Potential - Come on ppl.. i mean where were you guys? PS3, folding, big potential... geezus yous coulda helped me out a bit! Just pisses me off becoz im not an 'official' person on the site or nothin, no-one seems to give a shit when i do something to try & keep the awareness up on the project we all love participating in.

hopefully this thread attracts a lot more attention, more exposure to the masses is always better for the project.

Cheers

13. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

I wouldn't be too disappointed mate, this "official" thread has drummed up all of "fuck all" support. Guess OCAU PS3 users just don't care if people they know die from a disease they could be helping cure ;)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  14. genxor

genxor Member

Well, my PS3 is at the latest version, I've deleted and reinstalled the folding client, triple checked my network settings and it still won't work. :(
    I'm going to have to do some heavy googling later I think.

15. iCit

iCit Member

Just give it a wee chance there trop.

When you first posted there was only one PS3 folding and now there are two. :thumbup:

@ lahmyaj
    Maybe the lack of response with your threads was purely that you were posting in the part of the forum where us converts already reside. Then again perhaps it was just apathy. :D

16. Spindleshanx

Spindleshanx Member

Just signed up.

:D

17. OP
    OP
    trop

trop Member

Good stuff :thumbup:

18. lahmyaj

lahmyaj Member

Great stuff! Another PS3 member!

KEEP IT BUMPED!

19. SSJX

SSJX Member

Just resumed folding with my ps3 :)

20. DaemonEyes

DaemonEyes Member

Well, bought a PS3 last week so I may as well put it to some use. Guess I'll throw a few points OCAUs way, can't see me leaving the little fellow chugging along once the hot summer nights start hitting though.