OCAU Pro/Am overclocking event with Free Beer for all!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by The_Overclocker, Jan 16, 2009.

1. The_Overclocker

The_Overclocker Member

FULLY REVISED INFO BELOW >>>>>

At 6:30pm, 28th February 2009 at Beyond Gaming (525 George Street, Sydney) Gigabyte and The Overclocker will be holding the Australian qualifiers for The Gigabyte Open Overclocking Pan-Asia Championships in Thailand in 4th-7th April. More than just a competition, it is an opportunity for all Australian tech enthusiasts and overclockers to meet up. It is completely free, but please tell us that you are coming here... event@theoverclocker.com.

FREE BEER will be provided!
    Booth Babes will be present!
    There will be loads of giveaways.

Several events/competitions will take place:-

1. The Open Overclocking Championship. To qualify for this you need to send us your scores for the following benchmarks:- Super Pi 32M and 3DMark Vantage. HWBot.org validation rules apply. A Core i7-based system must be used. Closing date for benchmark submission is midnight February 16 (Eastern time). Send everything to gooc@theoverclocker.com

The four highest scorers will be flown to Sydney (if appropriate) and given overnight accommodation. A fifth qualifier will join them and be chosen at the discretion of the jusges (this will probably reflect someone who did amazingly well with lesser hardware).

1st prize: $1,000 + X58 Extreme motherboard + one set of Kingston KHX14400D3K3/3GX RAM + ENERMAX Revolution85+ 850W PSU + all expenses paid trip to Thailand to represent Australia in the Pan-Asia Championships (which are qualifiers for the World Championships) and experience the lavish hospitality of Gigabyte!
    2nd prize: $500 + GIGABYTE EX58UD4P motherboard
    3rd prize: $250 + GIGABYTE EX58UD4P motherboard

2. In order not to leave non-extreme overclockers out there will be an amateur Air Overclocking competition too. You may not enter both! The benchmarks for this are 3DMark 2001 SE and SuperPi 1M. HWBot.org validation rules apply. We cannot fly competitors in for this one, you will have to make your own way to Sydney. The two highest scorers will qualify plus a third at the judges discretion (as before). Send everything to gooc@theoverclocker.com. You can use any processor you like.

Benchmarks are here:-
    SuperPi 1M

3DMark 2001SE

1st prize: Gigabyte X58 EX58UD4P motherboard + graphics card + hard disk
    2nd prize: Gigabyte X58 EX58UD4P motherboard + hard disk
    3rd prize: Gigabyte X58 EX58UD4P motherboard

3. Everyone that turns up can compete in our LAN game tournament. Game(s) are yet to be finalised but the prizes are the same as for the Air Overclocking challenge.

4. Rumours of a Counter Strike team tournament are to be confirmed...

5. Did I mention the Free Beer for all?

So please come on down and meet everyone. We will have pictures going in to The Overclocker and probably TV coverage too.

Good luck to everyone who competes! Just note that all rules and regulations are subject to change at no notice whatsoever. They probably will not, though... hopefully.

Any requests... post here or let us know at the above address.

Finally, if this event works as well as we expect, there's no reason why we can't have similar(ish) events around the country.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. anthony256

anthony256 Member

Pfft, I have i7, and air, so I can't do either... limits alot of people. Big prizes, for the people who sit here and do it all day every day and get free hardware if they're good enough anyway.

Then Core 2 systems, on air only..

:/

3. OP
    OP
    The_Overclocker

The_Overclocker Member

There's going to be a few people stuffed by the requirements, I'm afraid. But we're hand-tied by sponsors on this occasion. They came to us.

In future, we can do more independent events and cater for everyone, but this is the first we've done.

The thinking behind this is... For the Open championships we obviously need to find people who can compete with these benchmarks and i7 at the global finals.

For the air-cooling, we're only allowed to use Intel processors. I figured most people would still be using Core 2 stuff. We can modify these rules though: it's supposed to be for fun? How about... three qualifiers: one in i7, one in Core 2 and one for AMD? The final will be Core 2, though? What do you think? I seriously want to be inclusive as possible.

4. anthony256

anthony256 Member

How about;

High end - any CPU, but nothing below air cooling (has to be water or above)
    Medium - any CPU, nothing above Air (no water, etc)
    Low, any CPU, stock cooling. (you're allowed to use other fans pointing toward the stock HSF, but stock HSF ONLY).

This would make the challenges harder and more satisfying, I'd love to see some stock results :)

5. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

The comp sounds great :thumbup: Im not eligible (core2/water) but cant wait to see what some of OCAU's non-pros can come up with!!!

6. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Sounds good i might come along just to view the competitions

7. OP
    OP
    The_Overclocker

The_Overclocker Member

I think, to keep it simple, we'll just choose the best performance from a Core i7, Core 2 and AMD system. Not the highest score, but the best result with what they had.

But competitors will need to use Core 2 on the day.

I will confirm this.

8. OP
    OP
    The_Overclocker

The_Overclocker Member

A few people are asking... would this be better to have on the afternoon on Saturday 28th Feb?

N

9. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Woot, just down the road, i'll pop down and have a squiz (at teh booth babes :lol:)

10. Smakked

Smakked Member

Good to see something like this in AUs, i wont be going unless work pay for me to go but i doubt that......hmmmm maybe we could demo our up and coming line ??

11. Lardman

Lardman Member

rock band comp imo :D

12. OP
    OP
    The_Overclocker

The_Overclocker Member

Would people like an area where they can bring their own stuff and overclock together too? Let me know soon and I'll arrange it.

13. DeNs

DeNs Member

If only this were on the Friday night or Saturday.. flying up to sydney on friday night but during the day on friday i'll be at soundwave! :p Simply crushed that I'd be missing out on free beer somewhere in the world.

Edit: It would be a good idea to have a side-area for general people to do OC-ing.

---dens

14. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

I beg to differ on the platform upsets, this is an overclocking comp, people serious about competition overclocking would have or have access to a decent core 2 setup for the job.

I personally don't want to see 50 people "just having a go" i'd want to see serious gear with serious results which sounds like whats gonna happen.

An analogy would be you get invited to race at bathurst but you say you have to decline the invitation because you only have a bike.

I can see some dissagreements coming but if your serious then you already have or will obtain the correct gear end of story in my book.

15. primesuspect

primesuspect Member

In for free beer - as always should be a good night! :thumbup:

16. sympozium

sympozium Member

great timing, ill be down at that time, so it would be good to go for a night out and meet some fellow overclockers.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  17. karnage112

karnage112 Member

Sure i guess, weekend is always good for workers.

18. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

omg..this would big the only reason i'd want to live in a captial city :(. Let us know if you do sumthing likle thing in Brissy or sumthing :thumbup:.

19. Captain-Nasty

Captain-Nasty Member

I think the 26th as it is now is perfect, congrats on setting this up it sounds awesome!

20. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

seconded :thumbup::thumbup: