1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Ryzen Overclocking discussion/ Guide / Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, Mar 3, 2017.

1. dmcdude

dmcdude Member

I've been testing my shiny new 3700x over the last 2 days. Started with Ryzen Master but now back to bios for easy tweaks.

yeah, with PBO you don't need to bother with manual OCing where you'll get min return for a LOT of effort. Most performance gains are to be made with RAM, the real sweet spot is at 3600Mhz with the tightest possible timings.

2. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

same results in productivity
    docp if core oc.jpg

source

video also explains the stock setting crisis on new motherboards, this video shows the crosshair out of the box all the settings are red line or beyond, bearded hardware had the same on his msi meg board, i think the meg starts off @ 1.5v
    motherboard manu's are getting cocky since the Chernobyl mini series imo

dmcdude likes this.
  3. dmcdude

dmcdude Member

WOW the default voltages in that BIOS are INSANE.

I have the ASUS x470-i board running 2406 BIOS and the voltages are correct, but question the def CPU at 1.428v.

lol @ Chernobyl

4. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Installed my 3600 CPU on Asrock B350 with updated BIOS and am having blue screen problems... just sitting on the desktop it will blue screen "System thread exception not handled" error... Have tried BIOS defaults but still happens.

I am using 2666mhz ram at default (tried XMP) nothing works.

5. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Seems that's related to display driver, so maybe your video card isn't connected fully? There's also this to try http://www.troublefixers.org/laptops/fix-system-thread-exception-not-handled-in-windows-10/590/

6. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

I found that to be true, at least on my rig after wasting time last yr exploring it. Don't know about the new 3 series though but from what I've seen on here, early adopters bent on OC them are having challenges.

Atm, I'm having issues with win 10 on another rig & it's nightmare of updates...

7. the_pessimist

the_pessimist Member

Saw some testing you'll get maybe 5% on average going from 3000mhz c16 to 3600mhz c16. Not really a massive jump factoring in price.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/2.html

8. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

9. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Can somebody (PLEASE) help me out with the BIOS settings for my Ryzen 3600 cpu PLEASE?? SOC voltage? VID voltage? I have no idea what to do..Trying to run it all on AUTO and im getting those smiley face blue screens still... I would really appreciate some help.

I am using 2666Mhz ram and am certain that it is the right ram recommended for the motherboard.

When playing games for about 8 minutes it will freeze with a loud buzzing sound!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  10. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Going by the info in your sig, this mobo of yours is "Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4"? because the one mentioned in your sig is not listed on Asrock support.

11. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Sorry..my sig was not 100% correct...It is the Gaming K4 fatality board...

If I go onto the Asrock website and select my motherboard ..go into support and look at the cpu compatibility chart / support list for the RYZEN 5 3600 CPU it is there with the BIOS P5.80 which I have updated to BEFORE installing the new cpu.

12. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Is your specific model of Ram actually listed as being supported for your mobo on there QVL list?

Edit: wait, you edited something b4 I posted this.

13. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Yes it is.. The blue screen error I get is "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED"..

I have reinstalled Nvidia drivers...cpu chipset.. all in 1 driver etc etc..but every 10 minutes or so...blue screen..Can happen when browsing internet or playing games it locks up with a loud buzzing sound.

14. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

That's interesting because I just got that 10 mins ago when reinstalling win10 on an old mobo/cpu combo I have here & it's eons behind in tech to Ryzen 3000 series... but I have everything on stock auto volts. This old system has already been stress tested under windows b4 with no issues too.

I would not be surprised if some updates to win10 are screwing with folks systems...

15. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I am running Windows 1903... should I roll back to the previous version to see if that helps?

16. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

I would give it a go, if you don't mind mucking around like that.
    But seriously, MS must do better quality checks b4 making updates to win10 public, because there is 'umpteen' number of hardware configs in the real world.

17. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Well so far so good.. re-installed windows / repaired it..installed all chipsets and drivers that Windows deleted and have been up and running for 2 hours now including some gaming... fingers crossed all is good now.

shane41 likes this.
  18. dmcdude

dmcdude Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    SomeBoredGuy likes this.
  19. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

If someone could please help me assign the correct voltages for my Ryzen 5 3600 I would be very appreciative.... Thank you!

20. dmcdude

dmcdude Member

suggest bios assigned should be ok unless its @1.5v. my 3600x with bios defaults is at 1.42v but drops down to 1.2v @ full load.