OCAU Ryzen Overclocking discussion/ Guide / Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, Mar 3, 2017.

1. LaMMi

LaMMi Member

Hey guys, just got myself the 3900x! haven't been happy with PBO, it was giving me 1.45v and only boosting up to 4.3ghz ish...

so I manually do an all core OC of 4.2ghz and undervolted it to 1.20v, fully stable, looped cinebench R20 for over an hour and OCCT tortured for another hour.. seems stable enough..

is that a good chip? or pretty average?

LaMMi

2. neRok

neRok Member

PBO is flaky ATM. My 3900X on an all core load sits at 4.06ghz, so if you're doing 4.2ghz all core, that sounds pretty good to me. However, mine will also boost over 4.3ghz on many cores, and does hit 4.6ghz occasionally on single cores. So you're missing out on that front.

335 GT likes this.
  3. LaMMi

LaMMi Member

Damn.. mine never boosts so high!! the highest I have seen is probably 4.4ghz for like a split second! was there anything you needed to change?

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Hmmm
    Anybody using a Asrock B450M- Pro4F?

Set up a machine just for fun with a 1600AF and this basic board and some hynix CJR ram..
    All seemed to work well... updated the bios to the most recent 2.00 (with the 1004 AGESA Patch b) dated the 14/1/2020..
    Machine now wont shut down from Windows 10, or restart from windows 10..
    Reflash to the older bios 1.6 (same as what came with the board) and everything works perfectly..

Is this a common issue? Every time, I muck around with and AMD and Ryzen, I feel time I am troubleshooting / bug testing...?

5. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

I dont know I had the same issue but a widows update fixed it but 1st gen chips and boards had issues

6. Dalork

Dalork Member

Ok, I'm thinking of tinkering and just getting this set-up decent. Got a Strix X570-E, AMD 3700x and 32GB DDR3600mhz, all I've done so far is set XMP profile. Been so long I have to admit I'm having difficulty playing about with bios, too many brain farts. This all used to be easy and now seems like it's a different language

Nothings running hot but just wondering what folks think are good basic settings for the 3700X, also need to tidy memory timings but need to get familiar with what's what in this bios.

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch.. then updated the bios.. now all working..
    Mystery hwy one bios version was affected and the other wasn't..

8. chook

chook Member

Now I am even more doubtful about upgrading my BIOS. There is a new version released just recently that allegedly improves memory compatibility. My system is running fine right now so I see no reason. That and your trouble is just helping me overcome my problem of needing the latest version because it is a bigger number :).

9. 335 GT

335 GT Member

I wont.

Unless something is broken or there is a performance boost, I dont touch my bios.

I still have working pbo on mine as the only update I've done is ABBA (F3?). The one after that broke pbo.
    I kinda wish I didn't update that now too. The original F1 bios had the superfast boost algorithm.

My board has been rock solid since the day I bought it. Gigabyte have impressed me with this bios.

10. Sledge

Sledge Member

Do you have BIOS flashback? Have you tried using that to go back?

11. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Not sure to be honest. That would require RTFM. :p

I've got the ABBA agesa now so better (higher) boost. Unfortunately you cant have both.
    It's a shame they dropped it. It was one of their original bullet points but crap software like iCUE and coretemp broke it.