OCAU Ryzen Overclocking discussion/ Guide / Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, Mar 3, 2017.

1. im late

im late Member

Correct, they are a really nice block for AM4. :thumbup:

And do you agree feels nice and solid? Like one is not scared to hand tighten as much as one can without feeling like a thread is going to strip, know what I mean?

I also use their distro plate/DDC pump combo in my Inwin 303 build and can't fault. Fitment and price is great (well great for the current supply climate).

Bolter01 likes this.
  2. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

True.. all my testing recently has been done around 24degC ambient +/- 2deg.

Nice .. that RAM is awesome!

What are your actual clocks though? Is that 4471MHz all core OC @ 1.4V? Or that that PBO boosting single core up to 4816MHz @ 1.32V? Confused..

Something definitely up with my temps, I'm scoring 2319 Cinebench R15 and max temp hitting 73.8 degC while benching. This is at 4400MHz/4450MHz all core OC @ 1.35V bios (1.288V under load after VDroop)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Hotrod2go likes this.
  3. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Just saw this.. only 61deg max temps during OCCT?! You're also running a Bykski WB? What clocks/volts you running?

I just did a semi-remount of my EK WB, did not completely remove it from the CPU but I added an extra nylon washer beneath each spring to add some extra tension, also gave it a big of a wiggle once it was loose to help the paste settle and then retightened. Looks like I may have dropped a few degrees but still nowhere close to you guys.
    80deg after 10 mins of OCCT.

I'll do a proper remount this weekend. I'm using Kryonaut paste which can be a pain in the ass to spread sometimes.

[​IMG]

Bolter01 likes this.
  4. im late

im late Member

Actual clocks (bios manually set for all cores) was 4471 @ 1.4v for that run. All overclocking I set manually in the bios and use no OC software (AMD or otherwise).

M1ck1 likes this.
  5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I reduced my all core load temps by more than 10 celcius just by adding a -0.0250v offset... whack.

Bolter01 likes this.
  6. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Damn.. runs so much cooler than my setup. Out of curiosity what is your actual core voltage under load after vdroop? I have a vdroop of around 55-60mV on this X570 Tomahawk board even with LLC, was expecting much better.

I rejigged my loop on the weekend, flushed all components, scrubbed my blocks, new paste and remounted, changed flow configuration so it is Pump/Res > 360 Rad > 420 Rad > CPU > GPU, just ran Cinebench R15 then and still hitting max of 73degC.

OCCT after 10 mins hitting 80degC. This is at 23degC ambient.

This is at 4400/4450MHz manual OC @ 1.35V

Maybe my EK block or IHS are warped and making really bad contact?

My Optimus Foundation block should be arriving early next week, so hopefully this gives better results.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    coolroy and Bolter01 like this.
  7. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

I dont think those temps are unreasonable at all. Happy with your re-loop?
    Interesting to see if your new block makes a difference :thumbup:

8. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Yeah I guess the temps are not too bad, but was expecting better with two large rad's. Plus it seems others with similar WC setups are getting better temps. You said you only hit 61deg after 10 mins of OCCT, that is a significant difference. What clocks/volts were you running, and rough guess on ambient temp?

I'm itching to try and hit 4.5GHz so want to pump a bit more voltage into it, maybe 1.375V, but need to sort out temps first.

Going by all the hype the Optimus block should perform anywhere from 4-8deg better than the EK depending on what you read.. but I'll do some testing once it arrives and report back here.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  9. kilebantick

kilebantick Member

Just picked up a Ryzen 3600x as my 4790k was getting a bit old and unstable.

With a little bit of fiddling it's sitting at 4400 across all 6 cores with no deviation. Temperatures sit under 70*C for extended stress tests.

Cinebench R20 nets me a 4000pt, and 511pt single.

Such a crazy little CPU for the price, nice to see AMD join the front. It's nuts!

Bolter01 likes this.
  10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Don't call it a comeback, they've been here for years :cool:

asho444 likes this.
  11. asho444

asho444 Member

Lisa said knock you out?

OJR and mesaoz like this.
  12. kilebantick

kilebantick Member

My understanding that whilst there has been exceptional innovation for years now, up until the last generation they were a bit behind the ball in terms of real world performance. I don't mean this to be rude, I've been out of the game for a while now, but that was my general understanding.

Either way, I couldn't be happier. I've been rooting for the 'underdog' for such a long time now and I couldn't be more stoked that the offerings are just smoking Intel out of the park.

13. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Outside of 100+fps applications ryzen has been pretty great since gen 1, and it's gotten significantly better with each iteration. Current gen is sitting in a really great position with good memory support and some of the earlier gen quirks ironed out

1st gen IPC was a bit behind but having double the physical cores and having 2 threads per core on the whole lineup made them a very compelling buy. If I recall correctly Ryzen 3xxx chips had better IPC than their intel counterparts and the only area they were behind in was total clock speed

Really unless your goal is super high frame rates or you're an enthusiast level overclocker there are few reasons to go with intel's 14nm++++++++++++++++++++ until they make a working 10nm product... or 7/5nm

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

intel share price took a bit of a battering yesterday on the news that their 7nm is delayed and facing some issues.
    intel said they'll work with other fabs :o

mesaoz likes this.
  15. tfroggydawg

tfroggydawg Member

Installed a budget $69 AIO on my 3700X system and it dropped my max temps in prime 95 from around 70c to around 60c compared to the wraith prism.

Nethiuz likes this.
  16. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Yeah the stock cooler isn't ideal.

I have some questions, i set the infinity fabric to 1866Mhz (I can chose blocks of about 33Mhz in BIOS, i believe 1800 is stock) and pushed my ram from it's rated 3600Mhz to 3726Mhz (1863 x 2) So it's still below infinity fabric. I got slightly higher benchmarks on CPU tests so i assume it is working fine however i can't find any software that lets me know if i went past 1:1.
    CPUZ says my FSB : DRAM is 3:56. Whatever the hell that means, i think it was always that.
    My CPU is a 3700x, Am i ok or have i broken everything and it was never running properly?

17. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

What is your BCLK? 3726MHz is a strange speed. Would have thought it should be around 3733MHz (1866x2) unless your BCLK is less than 100?

That FSB: DRAM value in CPU is the ratio between your BCLK and memory clock (UCLK). e.g. 100MHz BCLK and 3:56 ratio = 1866.667MHz RAM

Use HWiNFO it will show you Bus Clock (BCLK), Infinity Fabric Clock (FCLK) and Memory Controller Clock (UCLK).

Nethiuz likes this.
  18. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I can't find BCLK anywhere, HWInfo says: Memory Clock: 1863.1 MHz, = 18.7 x 99.8Mhz (I assume the 99.8 is the FSB or BCLK)
    I actually set the ram to 1866 (3733) but it seems to be just shy of it in the CPUZ and HWInfo for whatever reason! If i set infinity fabric to Auto it goes to 1800mhz (3600mhz) so it's not fast enough for that ram speed also some googling says it is 1866 and others sites say it is 1800 for 300 series Ryzen chips. So that's why i manually set it to 1866 (3733).
    I am about as confused as a drunk person who teleported to a foreign country right about now.

Edit: if it helps CPUZ says the NB (Apparently IF speed?) is 1862.9, but also memory speed is 1862.9 (Yes not same as HW info) but this to me says it's 1:1? Even though it says 3:56?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  19. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Your BCLK is 99.8 instead of 100 which is why your RAM is slightly less than what you set it to in the bios.

Ignore the CPU-Z FSB: DRAM ratio (e.g. 3:56), that has nothing to do with your IF clock. Just look at HWiNFO, it will have a section for IF clock and also show your memory speed. If you are 1:1 they should match.

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

On the topic of Zen+ platform...
    So I"m using HWiNFO64 v6.28-4200 & before launching any other apps, the field titled "Power reporting deviation accuracy" has some figures in red. What does this mean"?

After experimenting with manual OC & turning off cool n' quiet,
    Notice this field & its related PPT, EDC & TDC disappear altogether, interesting...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020