OCAU Ryzen Overclocking discussion/ Guide / Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, Mar 3, 2017.

1. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Installed my new Optimus Foundation block yesterday.

Looks to be around a 4deg improvement over my previous EK Velocity block, which is pretty much what I was expecting and lines up with the results a lot of other people are seeing. There are not really any pro reviews on these new Optimus blocks so hard to get good data.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase, the quality is amazing and the density of the microfins is impressive, which covers the full Ryzen IHS. A very well made product.

However what I am not so happy with, is that after less than 2 hours with the new WB the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste has scratched the shit out of the new block, with also what seems to be significant pitting! Out of the box it was was absolutely perfect with a mirror finish - I had never seen such an impressive finish. But now it looks like it has been used and abused for years after a couple of hours of used and only 1 TIM application!

I've emailed Thermal Grizzly support about this, apparently it is known there was a bad batch of Kryonaut going around that had large course particles that made it through. Pretty pissed off that it has done this to my brand new WB. :thumbdn::tired: It also did the same to the Ryzen IHS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Nethiuz likes this.
  2. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Still can't find IF speed in HWINFO.
    But Ryzen master has it exactly the same as Memory, so i must be on the win!

Now do i try 1900 IF and 3800 ram? :D

3. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Yeah if that's what it says in Ryzen Master then looks good.

Do it. :leet:

Once you start going above 1800 IF though you will need to change the setting in your BIOS from Auto to forced 1:1 ratio. On MSI motherboards this is called "UCLK DIV1 MODE" and for 1:1 it needs to be set to "[UCLK==MEMCLK]"

Will also likely need to bump up your voltages, I am using 1.48 VDIMM (memory), 1.125 VSOC, 0.950 VDDP, 1.025 VDDG, but take this with a grain of salt and do your own testing. Start with VDIMM (keep it less than 1.48V) and VSOC (less than 1.15V).

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Recently delved into AMD CPU architecture with my new system and tbh, this is far from my 1366 OC days. From my research so far, many features are counterintuitive as well as logical OC processes not translating into performance gains (manual vcore undervolting resulting in performance degredation despite being stable with "thread stretching")

I have a 3600 with B550 mortar mag and 32gb Corsair 3200 C16. What is my best way to reduce voltage and maintain a decent daily OC without performance degredation?

Let PBO & AutoOC do it's thing? Manually set all core and voltage?

My case thermals are pretty piss poor being a Corsair 280x which is basically a very nice looking heat chamber, so ideally the lower I can get voltage without performance loss, the better.

5. OJR

OJR Member

You realise that there's about a decade of difference between the CPUs right? If you're not willing to put in the hard yards, just let PBO do its thing. Plus being the silicon lottery, you could have a crap chip.

Hotrod2go likes this.
  6. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Heck, what's with the attitude Jameson? Didn't get your coffee or pictures of Spiderman this morning? Just like in the movie, you seem to skip the actual detail in things and miss the point completely.

I thought stating decade-old architecture would have made it obvious I'm not here to meticulously spend hours in BIOS searching for every tenth in cinebench score, those days are over.

My questions are mainly surrounding thermal performance and undervolting, which PBO isn't going to address, thus I've asked the knowledgeable gents on OCAU.

7. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

What's your use case - gaming or productivity focused?

If gaming, just enable PBO and Auto OC and leave it at that. It'll give you higher single and lightly threaded core clocks and performance. If productivity, then set a manual all-core OC with voltage below 1.3v.

You can spend time doing manual per CCX overclocking, but it's honestly not worth the time and effort if you're not looking for benchmark scores.

Hotrod2go and hellaflush like this.
  8. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

A blend of both, unfortunately. Photo editing with Photoshop, stacking programs etc as well as VR gaming.

I was doing some playing around today after a little reading. -0.05v offset and then manually reduced voltage bit by bit. I found all core 4200 is stable at 1.2v for everything I do, but fails prime95 small ftt (although I could only run that for a few seconds before hitting 100c as I have read it doesn't go well with ryzen cpu's haha)

Mainly just chasing those good thermals with decentish performance on all core without thread stretching. Want to try and find somewhere good to set it on air before putting my custom hardline loop in this weekend (clear CMOS/battery is behind the GPU which means it won't be accessible without draining my loop)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  9. asho444

asho444 Member

Had the same problem on mine. Grabbed an old power switch and cable from an old pc connected it to the jumper and had it dangle out the back

10. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Memtest86 v8.4
    Could have posted this in memory section but want it relating to Zen platforms.
    Does anyone here use this for testing RAM OC before booting to OS?
    If you do, how have you found it for reliability with testing?

11. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

Hi have you got a reset button on your case you could plug it on to your clear cmos jumper and use it to clear cmos, a recessed button preferably. Thats a good all core at that voltage best I got was 4.325 @ 1.35 3600x

12. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

I'm having issues with HWiNFO64 v6.8 missing the CPU clock speeds field(s). This is after 2004 update on win 10. Tried uninstalling & reinstalling this app but problem persists.
    I've looked into Ryzen Master instead however it warns about turning off Microsofts Virtualization based security before using this app.
    Might have to investigate using Asus proprietary app instead... :(

Edit: Fixed this by reverting to 1903

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  13. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

With Zen+ & DR 32GB kit running at 3533MHz. Finally got there! Next challenge - 3600Mhz...

For what it's worth, I discovered a bug in DRAM calc v1.7.3. It was giving me 2 diff readings for timings when XMP profile loaded @ 3533 speed. Using the slightly looser timings became easier to achieve stability without horrendous amounts of voltage for daily use.

"Stability" can of course mean diff things to diff folks. But for the sake of gaming, what I've done so far is good enough for me.

Upside with DR kits, better for gaming.
    p95@1r_lgeFFTs_3533.jpg

MEMbench_3533_pass_1.PNG

M1ck1 likes this.
  14. kilebantick

kilebantick Member

Put my 3600x under water and christ it still runs toasty. 4400 at 1.33v still gets up into the 70*c range, not used to this. Am I missing something, or is it the crazy heat density on these 7nm chips?

15. asho444

asho444 Member

Is it an early 3600? I have my new one under a h80 and it Max's at 60 in games

16. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

my 3700x with the stock cooler sits around 52-55 degress in games, and 33-35 degress idle.

it boots to 4.4 no worries. happy with the temps.

17. kilebantick

kilebantick Member

Bought it from Scorptec about 3 weeks ago, not sure if its new/old.

Mine obvs doesn't get anywhere near as hot in games but I do a lot of rendering work, didn't expect it to get to the 70 mark under such a beefy loop.

18. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

I've got 3600X under water at stock no pbo 61C in one run of firestrike CPU test always the same, I take it you hae 4.4 all core at 1.33, lot of focused heat just ryzen nothing to really compare it with until intel gets to 7nm, 70's pretty good I think.

19. kilebantick

kilebantick Member

Firestrike sits around 55 for me, it's just rendering workloads that pushes it so high, I'm just not used to that type of heat on custom loops I guess. Thanks for the reply bud.

20. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Anything to do with system temps is dependent on ambients, don't matter if air or water cooling.